Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the US and in my last charging all i did was plug my ID.4 into Electrfy America and it started charging. The app never connected to the station, and i wasnt charged. The station detected the charging pass.

This was in the US with a 350kw charger on Electrfy America.

Let me know if it worked for anyone else.

ID.4 2021 & 2022 Pro/S, prior 2021 1st Edition
563 Posts
I am in the US and in my last charging all i did was plug my ID.4 into Electrfy America and it started charging. The app never connected to the station, and i wasnt charged. The station detected the charging pass.

Word is that they have been rolling out plug-and-charge across the country as updates to stations are applied. Perhaps the station you used was one that has been updated already. Could also be, as other reports have said, that the station failed open and allowed free charging while in a failed state.

· Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
4,710 Posts
There are also times when EA has promotions and all charging is free for everyone. In those cases, all you have to do is plug in.

17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Word is that they have been rolling out plug-and-charge across the country as updates to stations are applied. Perhaps the station you used was one that has been updated already. Could also be, as other reports have said, that the station failed open and allowed free charging while in a failed state.
But it said i was using the free charge pass from VW. And this was in SoCal
There are also times when EA has promotions and all charging is free for everyone. In those cases, all you have to do is plug in.
Maybe how do i find out?

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
6,477 Posts
Word is that they have been rolling out plug-and-charge across the country as updates to stations are applied. Perhaps the station you used was one that has been updated ...
I haven't read any Mach-E owners complain Plug'n Charge hasn't worked for them, only that it's confusing to set up and that EA is often slower than they'd like. So I don't think it's a matter of patchwork EA support, I believe the ball is squarely on VW's court to get it enabled.

EA had previously committed to enabling PnC at all chargers before the end of 2020, but I haven't seen a confirmation they meet that goal.

Also, I don't believe European ID.4s and using this feature yet, and similarly, Ionity is supposed to be fully up and running.

2021 Mythos Black Pro S RWD
75 Posts
The only promo that I heard was during Labor Day weekend where charging was free. You just pull up and charge without having to use the EA app.

However, I have had this happened to me a couple of times where I plugged in and it is charging but the EA app says error and seems to not recognize the charge session. Either way it doesn't matter since I have the three years free charging. The only problem is that 1) the station will be reported open when I am actually there charging to others and 2) You only know that your car is charging from the Carnet app. The EA app will not know this.

I'm using Android app, not sure if this is app related to Android only? Are you using iOS or Android?

iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
793 Posts
Also, I don't believe European ID.4s and using this feature yet, and similarly, Ionity is supposed to be fully up and running.
Europe is a different EV charging landscape. For example by law all EV fast chargers have to accept contactless credit cards (so you‘re not required to download and activate a proprietary app for each brand of charger). I don’t believe American credit cards are even contactless enabled. (It’s been a few years but last time I was in the states it freaked out cashiers because the credit card machines were contactless enabled but American banks didn’t issue contactless cards so the cashier wasn’t expecting the card to work like that.)

Where I live VW have a relationship with a major supermarket chain and have VW branded chargers in their store carparks but they’re free for everyone. Most other places charge but it is a simple: plug in, tap your card, charge commences. So the demand for PnC is greatly diminished.

Ionity is a much hated supplier. Their prices are astonishing. Most fast-chargers are 25-30p/kWh with 40p at some tourist routes. Whereas Ionity charge 70p/kWh.

If you have a ToU tariff you can charge your car at home for 5p/kWh.

Most people would rather walk than pay more than an ICEV would cost per mile!

· Super Moderator
6,521 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I've moved this thread to the subject EA area and you will see there much existing discussion of same.

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,523 Posts
I haven't read any Mach-E owners complain Plug'n Charge hasn't worked for them, only that it's confusing to set up and that EA is often slower than they'd like. So I don't think it's a matter of patchwork EA support, I believe the ball is squarely on VW's court to get it enabled.

EA had previously committed to enabling PnC at all chargers before the end of 2020, but I haven't seen a confirmation they meet that goal.
I read a year old article about EA enabling Plug'n Charge nationwide and they mentioned that they were beginning with 4 cars - The Mustang Mach E, the Porsche Taycan, the Audi e-tron and one other that I don't recall. Notably absent from that list was our VW's. I think it is pretty much all done, as few Mustang owners seem to be having any problems. It's about time VW got added to the list of cars which can use it at all the VW owned chargers!

Don

275 Posts
Europe is a different EV charging landscape. For example by law all EV fast chargers have to accept contactless credit cards (so you‘re not required to download and activate a proprietary app for each brand of charger). I don’t believe American credit cards are even contactless enabled. (It’s been a few years but last time I was in the states it freaked out cashiers because the credit card machines were contactless enabled but American banks didn’t issue contactless cards so the cashier wasn’t expecting the card to work like that.)

Where I live VW have a relationship with a major supermarket chain and have VW branded chargers in their store carparks but they’re free for everyone. Most other places charge but it is a simple: plug in, tap your card, charge commences. So the demand for PnC is greatly diminished.

Ionity is a much hated supplier. Their prices are astonishing. Most fast-chargers are 25-30p/kWh with 40p at some tourist routes. Whereas Ionity charge 70p/kWh.

If you have a ToU tariff you can charge your car at home for 5p/kWh.

Most people would rather walk than pay more than an ICEV would cost per mile!
Where in the EU are you if you don't mind me asking?

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
6,477 Posts
... by law all EV fast chargers have to accept contactless credit cards (so you‘re not required to download and activate a proprietary app for each brand of charger). I don’t believe American credit cards are even contactless enabled. (It’s been a few years but last time I was in the states it freaked out cashiers
We've finally made the leap in the US! Contactless has been a feature on a couple of my cards for over a year, and I see more and more shoppers in line in front of me using theirs, though maybe not quite the number who are tapping their phones to pay. All of the Electrify America chargers I've been to have contactless payment readers, as do EVGO. I agree with you though, free is better, and so far I only know of two free L2 charging locations, and no DCFC.

iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
793 Posts
We've finally made the leap in the US! Contactless has been a feature on a couple of my cards for over a year, and I see more and more shoppers in line in front of me using theirs, though maybe not quite the number who are tapping their phones to pay. All of the Electrify America chargers I've been to have contactless payment readers, as do EVGO. I agree with you though, free is better, and so far I only know of two free L2 charging locations, and no DCFC.
Cool, I thought you might have caught up (I've not traveled much in the last few years). Contactless started in the UK in 2007, but the transaction limit was £10 until 2010, the only places that used it back then were places like McDonalds and Starbucks where transaction speed and keeping the line moving fast was critical to the business model as well as for public transport.

The limit has been increased several times over the years and has just gone from £45 to £100.

Interestingly American retailers had the hardware and the systems in place to process contactless transactions all this time but no American bank issued contactless cards and the clerks had no clue the technology existed.

ID.4 Pro S Gradient (Kings Red) - Reserved 11/10/21
305 Posts

Did you see the charging history on your Electrify America app? If not, I heard (via FB) when EA has internet connectivity issues it provides free electrons. Check your charging history to confirm… I could be completely wrong.

I was at an EA station twice today (morning and evening)… no auto charging. Had to use my Apple Wallet EA card.

231 Posts
Did you see the charging history on your Electrify America app? If not, I heard (via FB) when EA has internet connectivity issues it provides free electrons. Check your charging history to confirm… I could be completely wrong.

I was at an EA station twice today (morning and evening)… no auto charging. Had to use my Apple Wallet EA card.
I had a friend say that he got free charging (with another EV -- not an ID.4) at a EA station in PA. Only one of the units was free -- a couple of the locals/regulars at that stop were aware of it. It didn't show up on the charging history as he just plugged it in.

1,523 Posts
I charged for the first time this morning - Just a test from 45% to 60% (took bout 10 minutes at 80Kw) as 60% is where I usually keep the car when I don't have any long trips planned, which is most of the time. I was glad to see it didn't jump up to 125Kw as I wasn't in any hurry and I'm very keen on not stressing my battery unnecessarily. That answered a question of mine - Does it do from 5% to 40% at 125 or does it do the first 35% of a charge at 125 regardless of where it was when you started. It appears anytime you're already above 40, the charge curve is already implemented and things are slower, even though the battery starts out warm, not hot

Anyway, I just plugged in and it started charging - Didn't need the app at all. It said it was a 'complimentary session' and let me know it would have been $3.25 I think if I had to pay. Since this was my first time, I have no idea if 'complimentary session' means it recognized that I'm signed up for 3 years for free or not, but I was kinda surprised to see it was doing 'Plug n Play without any other drama. It did know my car already and I didn't have to do anything. It did ask for my phone number so it could send me a text when the session was over - I gave it my number, but no text

Don

231 Posts
I charged for the first time this morning - Just a test from 45% to 60% (took bout 10 minutes at 80Kw) as 60% is where I usually keep the car when I don't have any long trips planned, which is most of the time. I was glad to see it didn't jump up to 125Kw as I wasn't in any hurry and I'm very keen on not stressing my battery unnecessarily. That answered a question of mine - Does it do from 5% to 40% at 125 or does it do the first 35% of a charge at 125 regardless of where it was when you started. It appears anytime you're already above 40, the charge curve is already implemented and things are slower, even though the battery starts out warm, not hot

Anyway, I just plugged in and it started charging - Didn't need the app at all. It said it was a 'complimentary session' and let me know it would have been $3.25 I think if I had to pay. Since this was my first time, I have no idea if 'complimentary session' means it recognized that I'm signed up for 3 years for free or not, but I was kinda surprised to see it was doing 'Plug n Play without any other drama. It did know my car already and I didn't have to do anything. It did ask for my phone number so it could send me a text when the session was over - I gave it my number, but no text

Don
Regarding the charging rate, I understand there can be a bunch of factors, but higher charging power rates have been reported at those states of charge. See Volkswagen ID.4 (82 kWh) In-Depth DC Fast Charging Analysis.

-Alex

1,523 Posts
Regarding the charging rate, I understand there can be a bunch of factors, but higher charging power rates have been reported at those states of charge. See Volkswagen ID.4 (82 kWh) In-Depth DC Fast Charging Analysis.
You can choose the power level you recharge at for AC charging on the Infotainment screen, but is there an option for that with DC charging? I'd just as soon not use the full 125Kw when I'm not in a hurry . . . .

Don

ID.4 Pro S Gradient (Kings Red) - Reserved 11/10/21
305 Posts

-Alex
Thanks for posting the link. Confirms what I am seeing DC fast charging. I get 83 kWh (1C) around 50% and that tapers to the 50 kWhs as I hit 80% (where I usually stop).

According to the link above we are charging at an average 1.1C with a peak of 1.5C. I'd say that is reasonable but conservative (2C - 164 kWh is possible in theory without damaging the batteries but VW has a 8 year/100K warranty on them so they probably don't want to). We discharge at around 1C (84.86 kWh) max from the Ross-Tech 80mph charts... so this battery isn't being stressed to me. I'm assuming the battery has a 2C or higher rating.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.