Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edmunds tested the ID.4 and managed 287 miles. More impressive was that it beat the Model Y Performance in efficiency.

·
62 Posts
Solid efficiency from the id, beat the Mach-e although real comparison will be id AWD

Opting for Tesla performance, which I assume is mostly due to wheels and tires, appears to be a massive hit in efficiency although not apples to apples because 2020 vs 2018 M3

Despite its small size, I was still impressed the mini was that efficient considering it kinda looks like a small brick

·
538 Posts
What I want to see is an independent review like that but with 75mph highway. That is where I care about the range, since around town 280 miles is way more than enough. And I don't need to worry about where the next charger is, I go home. On a road trip, 230 may be barely enough to reach the next DCFC, and will be reduced by cold, heat, or wind. Why did they stop putting EPA highway range on the monroney or anywhere else?

Reactions: ks_id.4

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
What I want to see is an independent review like that but with 75mph highway. That is where I care about the range, since around town 280 miles is way more than enough. And I don't need to worry about where the next charger is, I go home. On a road trip, 230 may be barely enough to reach the next DCFC, and will be reduced by cold, heat, or wind. Why did they stop putting EPA highway range on the monroney or anywhere else?
The Monroney stickers shows "Highway" but for EVs it is shown in the useless MPGe figure (although you can use it comparing combined MPGe vs Highways MPGe - for the ID.4, it is 97 combined MPGe, 89 highway MPGe, 104 city MPGe. It would make more sense to show highway driving range or even highway kWh per 100 miles. Also, the EPA "highway" test is not even close to a steady 75 mph drive.

Reactions: theboomr and plh

·
140 Posts
Impressive for id.4 but this comparison has some issues. They have’t tested MY long range which would be closer to the VW in price and features. And MY is AWD While the id.4 is RWd. id.4 awd still remains to be seen ( and the one i have on order ) and reportedly will have less range. Nevertheless and impressive result for the id.4 in its own right.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
706 Posts
I suspect that >300 mile range is possible in an ID.4 under optimum conditions.
Edmunds also established that after hitting 0%, the ID4 can go another 9.4 miles at 65 mph, and can then "limp" another 3.5 miles until the car won't move at all. So that's 299.9 miles on a full charge. Nobody would ever do this except under extreme circumstances. But they tested this at Tesla's behest who said the below zero buffer is needed to reach EPA range. Go figure...

Anyway, I am so happy to see numbers significantly above 250 miles, and under conditions that don't seem forced.

·
267 Posts
Impressive for id.4 but this comparison has some issues. They have’t tested MY long range which would be closer to the VW in price and features. And MY is AWD While the id.4 is RWd. id.4 awd still remains to be seen ( and the one i have on order ) and reportedly will have less range. Nevertheless and impressive result for the id.4 in its own right.
Well it's not really a comparison per se but a compilation of data from the vehicles they either own or were loaned from manufacturers.

·
140 Posts
Well it's not really a comparison per se but a compilation of data from the vehicles they either own or were loaned from manufacturers.
Where on the main page does it say that? I may have missed it. However anyone stumbling on It is going to look at the “Range leaderboard” graphic which clearly looks like a comparison Since it’s a list ordered by range. And I don‘t think a “leaderbord” can be constructed without a comparison.

·
53 Posts
Interesting comparison on drive from Edinburgh to Bournemouth in the UK at speed limits (60-70mph) here
Since when is an ID.4 “a pretty good direct competitor” with a Model 3? How much luggage did the guy in the M3 have to leave in Edinburgh that the VW could easily carry?

The point about the charging station claiming that it put in more kWs than the car can actually hold was really interesting. Gas (petrol) pumps have to be certified in the US. Is there similar regulation for charging stations?

·
51 Posts
The point about the charging station claiming that it put in more kWs than the car can actually hold was really interesting. Gas (petrol) pumps have to be certified in the US. Is there similar regulation for charging stations?
It didn’t put more kW than the car can hold. EVSE’s are not 100% efficient, the extra energy is just the loss.

·
53 Posts
It didn’t put more kW than the car can hold. EVSE’s are not 100% efficient, the extra energy is just the loss.
So you’re saying he paid for 81 but got less because the stations are inefficient? That’s like having a leaky gas hose and having to pay for the gas that ends up on the pavement.

·
51 Posts
The charging station indicated it put in 81 kW. The battery on his car is not that large.
Every kW does not make it into the battery. The unit indicates how much kW it sent out but not how much was received by the battery. Five to 10% loss is normal so that 81 is more like 72-75.

·
267 Posts
So you’re saying he paid for 81 but got less because the stations are inefficient? That’s like having a leaky gas hose and having to pay for the gas that ends up on the pavement.
So you have losses from the AC to DC conversion in a DCFC or losses in the onboard L2 charger (also converting AC to DC). Then you have the resistance of the battery cells themselves.

·
3 Posts
Edmunds tested the ID.4 and managed 287 miles. More impressive was that it beat the Model Y Performance in efficiency.

No way are these achievable real world. At 35 mph maybe.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
No way are these achievable real world. At 35 mph maybe.
Hi David. Welcome to the group. As an owner of a FE, I would say this number is accurate and achievable. We generally only charge to 80%. We usually find the GOM, after charging, pretty close to the actual mileage we can achieve. My wife uses the car for her commute, which is about half highway and half local streets. After our last 80% charge, the GOM said 229 miles. Extrapolating that out, it comes to 285. This also reflects the 3.7 mi/kWh shown on the car's data screen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts