Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

ID.4 1st blue
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good to know!

ID.4 was able to maintain our preset highway speed of 65 mph for 9.4 miles after the dreaded "0 miles" display appeared. At the 9.4-mile mark, the vehicle's speed began to slow as the ID.4's battery could no longer maintain a highway speed. But even then, the VW traveled another 3.5 miles before it ground to a halt.
They also rated the ID4 at about 15% higher than EPA in their test while Tesla's are much below their rating.

Here is the part of that review I did not know and don't like:
You will also need to sit in the driver's seat for the ID.4 to stay in neutral; otherwise, it will go back into the parked setting. In other words, if you need to push your ID.4 to get it off the road, you'll need an extra person to assist.

Reactions: Ocean59

Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
There must be a workaround for that, that the reviewers aren't aware of. Surely there are instances when you need the vehicle in neutral (I'm thinking of pulling onto a flatbed tow truck, for example) without a person in the car.

There must be a workaround for that, that the reviewers aren't aware of. Surely there are instances when you need the vehicle in neutral (I'm thinking of pulling onto a flatbed tow truck, for example) without a person in the car.
I agree, my current car has a secret strap you pull up hidden inside the center console to put into N for that purpose. Another common use for that would be to flat tow it behind an RV.

Reactions: egsell

Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
What they didn't clarify was if the 287 miles they raked up included the 12 or so miles after hitting "0".
They explain their test methods here:

"Edmunds begins with full battery charge and drives an electric vehicle on a mix of city and highway roads (approximately 60% city, 40% highway) until the battery is almost entirely empty. (We target 10 miles of remaining range for safety.) The miles traveled and the indicated remaining range are added together for the Edmunds total tested range figure "

Here is the part of that review I did not know and don't like:
You will also need to sit in the driver's seat for the ID.4 to stay in neutral; otherwise, it will go back into the parked setting. In other words, if you need to push your ID.4 to get it off the road, you'll need an extra person to assist.
From the on-line owner manual, I remember there is a setting in the brakes section of the infotainment screen.

ID.4 1st blue
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What they didn't clarify was if the 287 miles they raked up included the 12 or so miles after hitting "0".
I don't think they did. Per the range chart post this is their process:

Edmunds begins with full battery charge and drives an electric vehicle on a mix of city and highway roads (approximately 60% city, 40% highway) until the battery is almost entirely empty. (We target 10 miles of remaining range for safety.) The miles traveled and the indicated remaining range are added together for the Edmunds total tested range figure.

Interestingly, in this video that goes with the Edmunds tests Tesla says they do include his hidden post-0% buffer in their stated range estimates. Just more proof that Tesla is gaming the system to present inflated range numbers.

Premium Member
From the on-line owner manual, I remember there is a setting in the brakes section of the infotainment screen.
I thought I remembered something that allowed you to "permanently" place the vehicle in neutral.

Premium Member
I agree, my current car has a secret strap you pull up hidden inside the center console to put into N for that purpose. Another common use for that would be to flat tow it behind an RV.
I'm fairly certain all EV manufacturers recommend against flat towing EV's.

ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
@NBCGLX and @dfox have it correct, there is "Activate Roll Mode" on p160 of the Owner's Manual on the Brakes submenu of vehicle settings.

I was looking for something like this if we get near one of those mechanized car wash processes.

Premium Member
@NBCGLX and @dfox have it correct, there is "Activate Roll Mode" on p160 of the Owner's Manual on the Brakes submenu of vehicle settings.

I was looking for something like this if we get near one of those mechanized car wash processes.
If it's a car wash you stay in the vehicle for, you're fine, just select Neutral and let your foot off the brake. If it's one where you get out of the vehicle, then yes, you'd have to enable this "Roll Mode". I think the ID.4 needs a car wash mode for the folks who will undoubtedly not be able to figure this out.

Premium Member
One important thing that is easily missed and not mentioned by the InsideEVs article is that the Teslas again fell short of their EPA range while the other cars all exceeded it. Here's the full test:
You mean to tell me Tesla鈥檚 don鈥檛 actually get their stated range? Stop with the madness 馃ぃ

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
If it's a car wash you stay in the vehicle for, your fine, just select Neutral and let your foot off the brake. If it's one where you get out of the vehicle, then yes, you'd have to enable this "Roll Mode". I think the ID.4 needs a car wash mode for the folks who will undoubtedly not be able to figure this out.
We have a lot of car washes in our area that are chain driven without occupants so roll mode will be key if neutral cannot be maintained

Premium Member
We have a lot of car washes in our area that are chain driven without occupants so roll mode will be key if neutral cannot be maintained
I'm picturing the first time someone goes to take their ID.4 through a carwash like and as is typical, the owner didn't read the owner's manual...yikes. I don't think about these things since I always hand wash my vehicles, so I have no idea if my i3 had a similar behavior when put in Neutral.

I have never used those automatic car washes. Something about them I have never cared for. O, I remember what it is....the price! I hand wash mine and also use a pressure sprayer. Even have a sprayer on wheels that sprays under the vehicle. In my pdf version of the owner's manual disabling the parking brake is on page 177.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts