Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are not aware the state of Saxony has the highest rate of increasing coronavirus cases in all of Germany. Much more than the rest of Germany. The 2022 ID.4s are being built at the factory in Zwickau which is in Saxony, Germany.

This would help account for the AWD version of the ID.4 launch changing from Mid 2021 to Fall 2021. With the delay I started thinking of holding off for the VW Aero B/Space Vizzion Wagon because it’s lower (like my GTI) has better aerodynamics and will be able to charge in 10 minutes instead of 30 minutes at a fast charger.

Ultimately, I would have purchased a Porsche Taycan EV if I could afford it. I was planning on taking European Delivery of a brand new Porsche Cayman when coronavirus was over, but with the crazy fires in California this summer due to global climate change, I can’t buy a new car unless it’s electric.

I did some more research on future electric Porsche cars and in 2022 the electric Porsche Macan will go into production. It will be able charge at a fast charger in 10 minutes, and should have a range of 300 or more miles. I can afford a $65k Porsche Macan and right now I am planning on purchasing and taking European Delivery of an electric Porsche Macan.

Before the ID.4 I had never considered a crossover/suv. Watching the video of Tanner Foust drive the ID.4 around the track shows that there is more side to side wallow in the suspension than the sportier GTI that I am used to driving. I watched a YouTube video of a Porsche Macan gasser and a BMW M2 gasser going around a track. The Macan was only .4 seconds slower around the track. That’s amazing in my opinion. An electric Porsche Macan would be sportier and have better suspension than an AWD ID.4. I would be more happy with an electric Porsche Macan as it would be more like the sporty, practical do anything GTI that I currently have. Has anyone else seriously considered the electric Porsche Macan over an AWD Volkswagen ID.4?

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
We are considering the ID.4 for my wife. When we first started looking at replacing her car, she really had her eye on a Macan. I've seen the $65k price bantered around but I am skeptical (especially with the Taycan being north of $100k). We are waiting for the AWD so will be close to a year before we will be getting the car so it will be interesting what other options will be available by then. A $65k Macan (assuming 250+ mile range & AWD) would definitely be towards the top of the list.

·
470 Posts
If I more resources the Macan would be something I would be interested. The ultimate EV for me would be the Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo (Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo). Since so many cars have pushed back recently I wonder if the 2022 Macan EV wouldn't be available for another 2 years. We still haven't seen the production versions of the Audi e-Tron GT and Q4 e-tron (which I am also interested in).

Here is what I know of the Macan EV as of right now. It will be based on the VW Groups PPE platform: (Audi pushes electrification offensive with these 4 EV platforms - ET Auto)

·
182 Posts
The e-Macan has been my first choice ever since they announced it. But ID4 went into production faster and my e-golf lease is up next month, so I'm going with ID4 until it comes.

·
217 Posts
You have put your finger on it. In the mid-SUV space the VW corporation wants you to buy an ID.4 if you want value for money, but it won't have all the do dads. If you want luxury, they want you to buy the Audi Q4 e-Tron and if you want performance, they want you to buy the Porsche Macan EV. All of which on on the same platform. We have a difficult situation right now because the ID.4 is ahead of the other two and people want the extra stuff like Heat pump, surround-vision, and VR that VW really wants you to go to an upmarket line to purchase. All this clamoring for things that aren't on the US version of the ID.4 will go nowhere. Marketing in Germany is different than in the US and things that VW is willing to put on a VW in Europe won't necessarily be put on a VW in the US. VW learned from their Phaeton experience in the US that VW is viewed as an "economy" brand that will not compete in the luxury space. That's why Toyota, Honda and Nissan felt they had to invent a new label to sell upmarket Lexus, Acura and Infiniti. VW Corporation already has those "upmarket" labels --in escalating order: VW, Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini/Bently. VW is not going to encroach on those upmarket brands by loading up a VW, unless their competitors in the "economy" Japanese makes do so.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,567 Posts
I agree with you ted99. However I must admit I once told my wife to get a fully loaded Camry rather than a base Lexus as at that time very close for less money. She of course went Lexus tho'. ;)

·
217 Posts
I agree with you ted99. However I must admit I once told my wife to get a fully loaded Camry rather than a base Lexus as at that time very close for less money. She of course went Lexus tho'. ;)
I think she made the right choice. She had the aura of a Luxury brand. You had better depreciation on a base Lexus, compared to a loaded Camry. The Toyota Corp (and all other mfg's) depend on people not having the discipline to stick to the base model in a luxury line--plus you will rarely find one on a dealer lot. I found a stripper BMW 530e PHEV on the lot and got it for a big discount. My wife bought a loaded 530e (for reasons not germane here we had to pick a BMW) within one month and also got a discount, but it was still $10K more than my stripper. Today, a year later, both are worth about the same. I'm switching my stripper for the ID.4 and it's current trade-in value is more than my total costs after the Fed TC and State $2.5K grant, thanks to the inflation of used car prices, BMW price increases on PHEV's and popularity of PHEV's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts