Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Any recommendations for electricians near Boston to run a 220V line to my garage for 2 electric cars? (Not that it's such a big deal, but I'd rather work with someone who's familiar with auto charging... and comes recommended.)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,684 Posts
My recommendation. He's very detail oriented. But of course with all very good craftspeople he's very difficult to schedule.

Ryan Mann
Rectangle Font Circle Number Screenshot

e.g.:
Wood Composite material Beam Facade Metal

·
17 Posts
Hi! Any recommendations for electricians near Boston to run a 220V line to my garage for 2 electric cars? (Not that it's such a big deal, but I'd rather work with someone who's familiar with auto charging... and comes recommended.)

Thanks!
I would recommend using an industrial 220 outlet vs the standard lower cost 220 dryer outlet. They look basically the same..but higher quality parts Remember your dryer plug is removed every few years..the EV plug is every few day...

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,684 Posts
I agree in principle, but once the EVSE is plugged into its wall socket I wouldn't expect it to be unplugged unless needing to replace that unit. However if the socket is to be shared, say with a 240VAC cabinet saw or welder, then yes certainly all the more reason.

Dryers are typically 30A 240VAC circuits so again I agree that a higher quality socket, etc, is desirable for the heavier load of the EVSE's max throughput.

Note that as we've discussed in EVSE threads you need to hard wire same, rather than socket, to achieve its maximum amperage throughput, typically 48A. This as a hardwire application will (should) have innately heavier gauge wiring & 60A breaker (vs. 50A breaker for 40A max-socketed throughput).

I would recommend using an industrial 220 outlet vs the standard lower cost 220 dryer outlet. They look basically the same..but higher quality parts Remember your dryer plug is removed every few years..the EV plug is every few day...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.