Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad to report that Electrify America has started enforcing the previously stated rules:
1. To get a free 30-minute charging session, you must have at least a 1 hour “cooling-off” period after the previous charging session.
2. If you charge a different EV using the EA app with an activated ID.4 free-charging plan, you will be billed full price for the charging session. It appears that EA can read the VIN and can make the decision to bill or not to bill depending on the vehicle plugged in.

2023 ID.4 Pro RWD Pure Gray
176 Posts
Interesting. Did you experience these items or see this reported somewhere?

2023 ID.4 AWD Pro S Aurora Red Metallic
95 Posts
Sad to report that Electrify America has started enforcing the previously stated rules:
1. To get a free 30-minute charging session, you must have at least a 1 hour “cooling-off” period after the previous charging session.
2. If you charge a different EV using the EA app with an activated ID.4 free-charging plan, you will be billed full price for the charging session. It appears that EA can read the VIN and can make the decision to bill or not to bill depending on the vehicle plugged in.
Any mention of idle fees? It would be nice if they would actually charge those.

2022 ID.4 AWD ProS Dusk Blue/Lunar Gray;
61 Posts
Why is that sad? EA should have been enforcing their rules all the time to prevent station overcrowding. 30 mins should still be enough time for most road trips and even if you need a few more kWh after 30 mins it would not be that expensive.

176 Posts
I know EA can read VINs of other vehicles. I am not convinced if they have that setup on the ID4 yet. If that was the case we should be able to plug and charge.

Reactions: mtc416 and plh

1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know EA can read VINs of other vehicles. I am not convinced if they have that setup on the ID4 yet. If that was the case we should be able to plug and charge.
They do. I charged my Model Y twice over the course of the last 3 weeks, using the EA app that had the ID.4 free-30-min plan activated, and I got charged for both sessions. When I called EA to understand the charges that showed up on the credit card, I was asked to provide the VIN of the vehicle that was being charged. I was expecting not to be charged for the charging session that I used to charge the Tesla, so it made sense that the VIN number of the vehicle that was charged didn't match the VIN of the vehicle for which the free-30-min-session plan was activated in the app.

The charging history disappeared from my EA app about a month ago (it's blank), so I can't pull up a billing record for every charging session in the EA app, but I can monitor the EA card balance in the iPhone Wallet app on the EA card.

176 Posts
They do. I charged my Model Y twice over the course of the last 3 weeks, using the EA app that had the ID.4 free-30-min plan activated, and I got charged for both sessions. When I called EA to understand the charges that showed up on the credit card, I was asked to provide the VIN of the vehicle that was being charged. I was expecting not to be charged for the charging session that I used to charge the Tesla, so it made sense that the VIN number of the vehicle that was charged didn't match the VIN of the vehicle for which the free-30-min-session plan was activated in the app.

The charging history disappeared from my EA app about a month ago (it's blank), so I can't pull up a billing record for every charging session in the EA app, but I can monitor the EA card balance in the iPhone Wallet app on the EA card.
So the session showed as free in the app and on the charger screen but you were charged afterwards?

1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any mention of idle fees? It would be nice if they would actually charge those.
I don't know about idle fees, but I think the recent EA upgrade in late 2022 may have brought a lot of these features to reality.

2,437 Posts

Damn right they're not going to let you use your free VW charging plan to charge a different brand of car!

1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the session showed as free in the app and on the charger screen but you were charged afterwards?
I didn't pay attention to the screen on the pedestal. As for the app, like I said in the text you quoted, the entire charging history is gone from the app; hence, I can't pull up any billing records of any of my EA charging sessions. I've called this in to EA, and they said it's a known issue, and they are working on it, but they have no ETR.

Reactions: aManCalledSloan

ID.4 AWD Pro S red res. 7/31/22 locked 9/20/22 delivered 10/22/22
306 Posts
Within the last week I charged my VW for 30 minutes changed stations and then charged for a few more minutes within the hour without being charged
this was in CA

180 Posts
Last night same in NC. Idle fees would be most effective to be honest. There are situations including mine where 30 min is not enough on trips where there isn't another EA station for 180+ miles.

Within the last week I charged my VW for 30 minutes changed stations and then charged for a few more minutes within the hour without being charged
this was in CA

1 - 20 of 159 Posts