Volkswagen ID Forum banner
101 - 120 of 159 Posts

· Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
2,657 Posts
Actually they do work fine most of the time for the long term members on here. Nobody knows what the problem is for the new members? I think people are thinking that electric car charging should be passé by now. Well it isn’t. It is presently behind the curve as more people buy electric cars and want to use public chargers but the U.S. Government now has new public chargers, non-Tesla, being built under a new bill by the 100,000’s. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
Long term members are used to the issues that winter presents.

50 Posts
Perhaps a better rule would be to offer free 50 kWh each session, roughly equivalent to a 30 min "good" charge. That way you don't penalize drivers when the chargers are broken.
Ding ding ding we have a winner! That makes a lot of sense to me. However, it will only add to station crowding. Advertising you can charge the car from 0 to 80% in 38 mins (30 mins with SK) and then only pumping out 46kwh is kind of a slap in the face. Since I have owned my car I have charged at EA for three sessions (46,46,75). 💩 All charging ambient temps were above 70 degrees (South Florida).

EA needs to fix the damn chargers or develop a new charger that isn't broken more than it works. Very frustrating.

2022 ID.4 Pro S RWD
14 Posts
Actually they do work fine most of the time for the long term members on here. Nobody knows what the problem is for the new members? I think people are thinking that electric car charging should be passé by now. Well it isn’t. It is presently behind the curve as more people buy electric cars and want to use public chargers but the U.S. Government now has new public chargers, non-Tesla, being built under a new bill by the 100,000’s. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
Come on, you cannot pretend that the complaints about EA are due to novice EV owners.

I live in Silicon Valley, one of the easiest possible places in the whole world to own an EV. And yet of the closest 2 EA stations to me - 1x has had all 4 chargers down for several weeks (Plaza Shopping Center (1) | PlugShare). And the other, which is a flagship EA station with a solar roof, regularly has 150 and 350kW chargers derated to 50 kW (Westfield Valley Fair | PlugShare).

A small percentage of EA complaints are due to novice users not understanding charge curves, or struggling with broken RFID readers and not knowing how to start a charge through the app (which by the way is a totally unacceptable UX problem). But the vast majority are real issues that EA needs to solve.

2,703 Posts
Come on, you cannot pretend that the complaints about EA are due to novice EV owners.

I live in Silicon Valley, one of the easiest possible places in the whole world to own an EV. And yet of the closest 2 EA stations to me - 1x has had all 4 chargers down for several weeks (Plaza Shopping Center (1) | PlugShare). And the other, which is a flagship EA station with a solar roof, regularly has 150 and 350kW chargers derated to 50 kW (Westfield Valley Fair | PlugShare).

A small percentage of EA complaints are due to novice users not understanding charge curves, or struggling with broken RFID readers and not knowing how to start a charge through the app (which by the way is a totally unacceptable UX problem). But the vast majority are real issues that EA needs to solve.
Don’t put words into my mouth. I said “most of the time.” I assume English is your first language so you must just be dishonest. Next!

· Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
4,348 Posts
says the guy who can't read in the first place
Don’t put words into my mouth. I said “most of the time.” I assume English is your first language so you must just be dishonest. Next!
Please respect your fellow members! Disagreements are fine. Disrespect is not!

231 Posts
Ding ding ding we have a winner! That makes a lot of sense to me. However, it will only add to station crowding. Advertising you can charge the car from 0 to 80% in 38 mins (30 mins with SK) and then only pumping out 46kwh is kind of a slap in the face. Since I have owned my car I have charged at EA for three sessions (46,46,75). 💩 All charging ambient temps were above 70 degrees (South Florida).

EA needs to fix the damn chargers or develop a new charger that isn't broken more than it works. Very frustrating.
We are still at the BEGINING of the EV adoption curve. If we can't get reliable charging stations, imagine what the picture will look like in a few years.

In theory EA did develop a new station, where they helped spec the internal hardware. It didn't work in the cold, at all - every one was bricked. Reference the Out Of Spec videos a few weeks ago.

It's scary, not just because the whole transition is depending on reliable chargers, but also because my tax payer money is going to be thrown at these the next few years. I don't think it's too much to ask for tax payer money to require 99.99% reliability. We are not even close to that number.

As a corollary, Caltrans installed 50 kW chargers around the Eastern Sierra, one here one there, little over a year ago. Half are already broken. The closest two EA stations to me have one broken (of four) and two broken (of four). The only thing around my area that I would say has been reliable is ChargePoint, but instead they have been having vandalism issues.

68 Posts

The closest EA charging location, with four stations, has never provided over 50 kW, even when starting with a SOC below 10%. The EA customer service representative said that the cause was that the location added stations without upgrading the service from the utility company. When multiple stations are in use (frequently) all four divide that inadequate power. Maybe that is a common issue.

23 Posts
I'm in orangeburg NY and I can still charge for 30, take charger off and use the same charger and start another 30 min right away and it's free. My terminal is frustrating. It's not crazy cold 40 degrees and last night my rate of Charge was only 38 max. Two of the 4 terminals haven't worked in weeks either. I also see that other non ID4 cars are getting much higher rates

231 Posts
Two of the 4 terminals haven't worked in weeks either. I also see that other non ID4 cars are getting much higher rates
Probably the other cars have a higher pack voltage, so for the same Amps, they would get a higher kW. The stations may be Amp limited. Assuming it's not your vehicle, of course.

Two of four dead seems a common theme woth EA.

36 Posts
This thread is kinda meandering all over the place...

1.) Strictly to the OP it sounded like more of a warning to those who are bending the rules..... and basically said watch out, EA is going to catch you and enforce the rules

2.) Many are sharing the opinion that this is good and they should enforce rules. IMHO, it's not even that bad of a penalty since there is no violation surcharge. EA simply charges you the fee you should have paid. Honestly they should charge an extra 20 dollar on top of the normal bill, or you won't really stop people.

3.) Many are also sharing that this is "not fair" because the car charges slowly... But is this really an EA issue? The car came with a free promotion 30 min of free charging Not 30 min of free charging unless you don't feel like your car charged too slowly then you get a second 30 min of free charging.... I personally like the idea of limiting charging by time since it encourages people to not change the pack fully where it goes even slower.

36 Posts
Yes, when that slow charging is caused by Electrify America and charges fast at ChargePoint.
I don't think it is... as many have shared even in this thread, they have seen other cars charging faster at the same stations. The charging rate is requested by the car, not the station. In the past EA output requested rate, and delivered rate as two different numbers.

When I go to another fast charger and I see the same speed. I have been to EA, Charge Point, and EV Go and get the same speeds at all of them when it's cold out. I am not saying I am happy with the speed, just that it's not EA's issue. if VW would pre-heat the battery before charging this would not be the same problem, but again, not EA's issue...

1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I'm in orangeburg NY and I can still charge for 30, take charger off and use the same charger and start another 30 min right away and it's free. My terminal is frustrating. It's not crazy cold 40 degrees and last night my rate of Charge was only 38 max. Two of the 4 terminals haven't worked in weeks either. I also see that other non ID4 cars are getting much higher rates
How much would it cost to retrofit an ID.4 with a gasoline engine?
Does anyone know if it's possible to set the EA charger so that it only provides the free 30 minutes of charging--at whatever power is available--and cuts off at 30 minutes to avoid paying a charging fee?
It’s not possible, but you can set a timer on your smartphone.

101 - 120 of 159 Posts