Volkswagen ID Forum banner
121 - 140 of 159 Posts

68 Posts
I don't think it is... as many have shared even in this thread, they have seen other cars charging faster at the same stations. The charging rate is requested by the car, not the station. In the past EA output requested rate, and delivered rate as two different numbers.

When I go to another fast charger and I see the same speed. I have been to EA, Charge Point, and EV Go and get the same speeds at all of them when it's cold out. I am not saying I am happy with the speed, just that it's not EA's issue. if VW would pre-heat the battery before charging this would not be the same problem, but again, not EA's issue...
As previously noted, an EA customer service representative told me that the cause of the low charging rate is too many chargers for the utility-company-installed service. When multiple stations are in use all chargers divide that inadequate power. EA knows the problem and has not fixed the problem.

Fords, Rivans, and every driver I have talked with at that station receive a very low charge rate.

Do you have a theory as to why EA stopped reporting the requested rate and the delivered rate as two different numbers? :rolleyes:

Apparently, YMHV. You are fortunate.

36 Posts
As previously noted, an EA customer service representative told me that the cause of the low charging rate is too many chargers for the utility-company-installed service. When multiple stations are in use all chargers divide that inadequate power. EA knows the problem and has not fixed the problem.
Do you have a theory as to why EA stopped reporting the requested rate and the delivered rate as two different numbers? :rolleyes:
I am sure they just simplified the requested and delivered rate to one number to simplify data on the screen. When both had been listed before I never saw more then a 5 kw difference.

But if you want to prove your idea, just plug in a OBD reader into your car when you charge next at EA. Take a screen shot of your car's requested 100Kw + rate and 40kw delivered...

68 Posts
I am sure they just simplified the requested and delivered rate to one number to simplify data on the screen. When both had been listed before I never saw more then a 5 kw difference.

But if you want to prove your idea, just plug in a OBD reader into your car when you charge next at EA. Take a screen shot of your car's requested 100Kw + rate and 40kw delivered...
So, you are saying that the EA rep fabricated that the cause of the low charging rate at that busy location is too many chargers for the utility company's service?

36 Posts
So, you are saying that the EA rep fabricated that the cause of the low charging rate at that busy location is too many chargers for the utility company's service?
Well it sounds a little odd to me, but that does not matter. That being said every person who thinks the chargers are slow can use a OBDII scanner to see their own car's requested charge rate if they really think EA is under servicing them... I have heard a number of people say EA is slow and even a hand full of explanations but never a posted screen shot of their car requesting 20-30 kw more then it's getting.

127 Posts
Sad to report that Electrify America has started enforcing the previously stated rules:
1. To get a free 30-minute charging session, you must have at least a 1 hour “cooling-off” period after the previous charging session.
2. If you charge a different EV using the EA app with an activated ID.4 free-charging plan, you will be billed full price for the charging session. It appears that EA can read the VIN and can make the decision to bill or not to bill depending on the vehicle plugged in.
Charged several times within a minute for free every time this past week. I would love to charge at decent speeds so I wouldn't have to charge more than 30 minutes.
Font Number Screenshot Parallel Circle

2021 ID.4 Pro S/Gradient RWD, Kings Red
89 Posts
Being throttled to 35-40 kW screams that there's either a cable cooling problem or sensor failure (100 amp limit); it's unlikely to be a power company limitation, especially if it happens no matter how many cars are currently plugged in at a site.

2023 Pro RWD
225 Posts
Couple of weeks back I was doing L2 charging at home and My EA app was not showing charging. I called EA, first time I heard from any rep - I don’t know what I can I do. I am like what in the hell. Escalate to your tech people 😀
Looks like these Reps have no idea on the product.

68 Posts
Sad to report that Electrify America has started enforcing the previously stated rules:
1. To get a free 30-minute charging session, you must have at least a 1 hour “cooling-off” period after the previous charging session.
2. If you charge a different EV using the EA app with an activated ID.4 free-charging plan, you will be billed full price for the charging session. It appears that EA can read the VIN and can make the decision to bill or not to bill depending on the vehicle plugged in.
I was under the impression that after the first half hour (I thought this was stupid marketing. If they wanted to limit value allow kw instead of minutes) EA would charge at the stated cost per kWh or you would unplug and a new free session couldn’t be started for 1 hour. I’ve talked to ‘22/‘23 owners while charging that this secretion was what they experienced. I wish they would buy me out of my ‘21 total free dcfc plan.

2023 ID 4 Pro S AWD Pearl Black/Galaxy
386 Posts
Sorry to be dense here, but "clock" in which app? On one of the car apps? the EA app? The VW ID app? I'd like to know how to do this, so I get the 30 free minutes and don't pay for any extra.
I think what he is saying is to say "Hey Siri, set a timer for 30 minutes" and then unplug when it goes off.
There is no way to have your charging session automatically end after 30 minutes.
So if you don't want to end up paying, don't walk away and leave your car plugged in.

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,945 Posts
If that's correct, then it's one more example of the user-unfriendliness of the ID experience.
Not really, because normally when the charge session is complete, the vehicle ought to be unplugged and moved out of the way for the next customer. The UI wasn't designed with consideration for the budgetary convenience of 30 minute free sessions.

Nobody deserves to be executed.

19 Posts
Not really, because normally when the charge session is complete, the vehicle ought to be unplugged and moved out of the way for the next customer. The UI wasn't designed with consideration for the budgetary convenience of 30 minute free sessions.

Nobody deserves to be executed.
Fair enough. And I would not plan to hog a charging spot in any case. But if I plugged in and went shopping and got back to the car after 35 minutes rather than 30, I would prefer not to be charged for an additional five minutes of power. Five minutes of idle charge would be reasonable under such a circumstance.

Owner/driver convenience was obviously not a factor in the UI design in any respect.

4,171 Posts
Fair enough. And I would not plan to hog a charging spot in any case. But if I plugged in and went shopping and got back to the car after 35 minutes rather than 30, I would prefer not to be charged for an additional five minutes of power. Five minutes of idle charge would be reasonable under such a circumstance.

Owner/driver convenience was obviously not a factor in the UI design in any respect.
You can stop session by using EA app before 30 minutes and after that you will have limited time to move vehicle ...otherwise you will be charged for idle charges.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts