Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent into Electrify America Customer Service some recommendations to improve the App:
1) Integrate Route Planning into VW Navigation System
2) Plug and Charge
3) Simplify process to connect and start charge
They called me direct to let me know all of these are being worked. The tech stated that Plug and Charge is now embedded in the their software and that VW is working to have in their OTA.
I thought it was a good sign that at least Electrify America is aware and working the problems being identified.

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
I think we are going to see some rapid integration of features in the next quarter as the user base rapidly increases. I also expect a rapid rise in new and different bugs as well.

Dusk Blue Metallic ID.4 Pro S (Statement) RWD - Step 4/7
I just submitted a 鈥渃ontact us鈥 form on their website about the void of locations SE Ohio/WV that will all but prevent me from taking the ID.4 to visit In-laws in Charlotte, NC or on vacation anywhere in the Carolinas or south of there. If you look at the map on their website the gap in locations is glaring.

I did get a call back from them, which was nice, but it was mostly lip-service. 鈥淭hanks for the suggestion, we鈥檒l share this with our locations team鈥. They know, but reaching out was nice

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
How about Chargepoint L2 and/or VW dealer L2 EVSE's? And/or Tesla "destination" L2 chargers at many hotels. Latter would require an adapter however.
Certainly not as timely as DC fast chargers (nor free in some cases), but perhaps the longer breaks in driving might be welcome.
I just submitted a 鈥渃ontact us鈥 form on their website about the void of locations SE Ohio/WV that will all but prevent me from taking the ID.4 to visit In-laws in Charlotte, NC or on vacation anywhere in the Carolinas or south of there. If you look at the map on their website the gap in locations is glaring.

I did get a call back from them, which was nice, but it was mostly lip-service. 鈥淭hanks for the suggestion, we鈥檒l share this with our locations team鈥. They know, but reaching out was nice

How about Chargepoint L2 and/or VW dealer L2 EVSE's? And/or Tesla "destination" L2 chargers at many hotels. Latter would require an adapter however.
Certainly not as timely as DC fast chargers (nor free in some cases), but perhaps the longer breaks in driving might be welcome.

PlugShare shows some challenging routes with any network there, if you're looking for even 50 kW, but it might be doable if one can make that Gallipolis -> Wytheville leg. As Huey52 reported, you might see what you can do at level 2 or with a longer route around the void. It would add to the trip, but an hour at an L2 to help get you to the next DCFC on the way would at least make it possible.

I know it probably felt like lip service, but EA does seem to be aggressively building out. Unfortunately, they're probably prioritizing heavier populated/trafficked areas (I do feel like they could slightly ease up on CA for a bit, though) and while I've never been, the reputation of the WV area WRT non-fossil modes of transport probably isn't helping.

I have several trips that I take where charging an EV is all but impossible, without going 75 miles out of my way.
I am beginning to wonder if I could put my 7kw generator on the trailer hitch, fire it up and plug it into the car and drive using that as a range extender. :)

Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
I am thinking a map of EV owners, and their anticipated travel routes would help planners.
Now how to collect that?

Dusk Blue Metallic ID.4 Pro S (Statement) RWD - Step 4/7
I was under the impression that non-Teslas couldn't use Superchargers because they couldn't activate the charger, even with an adapter. Is that an option? There are Superchargers in Charleston, WV that would be viable options. EDIT: Oh, I think I misunderstood. L2 Chargers at Hotels with Tesla plugs, not Superchargers.

L2s aren't really helpful because we usually do the trips in one day...adding an hour might be doable, but L2s would be significant time additions.

I've looked at the Gallipolis to Wytheville option and think that's my best current option...188 miles, but the ups and downs of WV mountains would make me nervous before getting some experience with ranges. I also looked at Athens to Wytheville, but I don't think 218 will be feasible at highway speeds.

FE Blue - picked up March 19
I've got the same problem in the opposite direction, we often visit my in-laws in northeast Indiana and the West Virginia Gap is a bit of an issue. It is probably doable with a sleep over near Charleston at a hotel with a L2 charger.

I was under the impression that non-Teslas couldn't use Superchargers because they couldn't activate the charger, even with an adapter. Is that an option? There are Superchargers in Charleston, WV that would be viable options. EDIT: Oh, I think I misunderstood. L2 Chargers at Hotels with Tesla plugs, not Superchargers.

L2s aren't really helpful because we usually do the trips in one day...adding an hour might be doable, but L2s would be significant time additions.

I've looked at the Gallipolis to Wytheville option and think that's my best current option...188 miles, but the ups and downs of WV mountains would make me nervous before getting some experience with ranges. I also looked at Athens to Wytheville, but I don't think 218 will be feasible at highway speeds.
Remember that you wouldn't need to stop at an L2 between Gallipolis and Wytheville for a full charge. Just enough to give you the additional range to hit the next fast charger. For L2 at 20-30 miles of charge per hour, maybe an hour would be sufficient. Not ideal, but maybe acceptable.

Unfortunately their first priority was California.

You are correct. They are not set up for non-Tesla nor have any hardware for "pay at the pump" customers.

Reactions: Jcid4cesare 21

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
I specifically cited Tesla "destination L2 chargers at hotels" and Not Superchargers (which are DC, akin to EA, and yes are proprietary). Yes, as I also cited L2 slower to charge than DC-fast.
If you can't wait the additional time then I would agree that Tesla would be a better choice for you (assuming their DC fast Superchargers are located along your intended route).

You are correct. They are not set up for non-Tesla nor have any hardware for "pay at the pump" customers.
Elon Musk kind of hinted at other vehicles being able to use superchargers. What I've heard, it requires downloading the Tesla app and creating an account, as well as having a CCS to Tesla adapter. As I understand, the supercharger would identify your car when plugged in and charge you through the Tesla app.

Someone here with their car might try contacting Tesla, see if there is a way to sign up. At the least, it would help show there is clear interest from EV owners.

Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
I do hope that the Feds will at some point force the issue and put an end to proprietary or restricted charger networks. Imagine if gas stations worked like that. Sorry, we cannot (and will not) pump gas into your brand of vehicle...

Just charge me a price, on a standard (CCS) connector, and then have one or more member tiers with better pricing.

I do hope that the Feds will at some point force the issue and put an end to proprietary or restricted charger networks. Imagine if gas stations worked like that. Sorry, we cannot (and will not) pump gas into your brand of vehicle...

Just charge me a price, on a standard (CCS) connector, and then have one or more member tiers with better pricing.
Maybe I'm missing something but there are gas stations that "work like that." In particular, I'm thinking of Costco or Sam's Club gas stations, where you are required to be a member to buy gas from their stations.

As for CCS chargers, aside from "business" chargers (used for EVs that are owned by a particular company), I think the main networks already tend to work like that -- where most have a method of just "swiping" your credit card and charging -- and then have some type of member price for subscribers. For Tesla, the issue seems to be that there is no payment system on the chargers themselves -- it is done on the car and the app.

Maybe I'm missing something but there are gas stations that "work like that." In particular, I'm thinking of Costco or Sam's Club gas stations, where you are required to be a member to buy gas from their stations.

As for CCS chargers, aside from "business" chargers (used for EVs that are owned by a particular company), I think the main networks already tend to work like that -- where most have a method of just "swiping" your credit card and charging -- and then have some type of member price for subscribers. For Tesla, the issue seems to be that there is no payment system on the chargers themselves -- it is done on the car and the app.
Costco isn't basing it on brand. Sure, they're limiting their customer base, but anyone could choose to be a customer without having to buy a new car.

Elon Musk kind of hinted at other vehicles being able to use superchargers. What I've heard, it requires downloading the Tesla app and creating an account, as well as having a CCS to Tesla adapter. As I understand, the supercharger would identify your car when plugged in and charge you through the Tesla app.

Someone here with their car might try contacting Tesla, see if there is a way to sign up. At the least, it would help show there is clear interest from EV owners.
I think it was just a general offer to other automakers to share Supercharger network which none took him up on the offer as none wanted to standardize on the Tesla plug. I have a Tesla and it's all plug and charge through the car itself with the billing going through the payment card you have on file with your Tesla account.

I think it was just a general offer to other automakers to share Supercharger network which none took him up on the offer as none wanted to standardize on the Tesla plug. I have a Tesla and it's all plug and charge through the car itself with the billing going through the payment card you have on file with your Tesla account.
Things are a lot easier when you're vertically integrated. Maybe now that there's a plug & charge standard, Tesla would be willing to revisit the topic (once someone proves it can be properly implemented). They've sold so many vehicles that I struggle to think they'd move the network to CCS without being forced to, but even if it required an adapter and was at a premium it'd be nice to have that network as a backup.

This comment, from December, appeared to be something different; in fact, he said that while it was being kept quiet for now that it was already happening. Now, it could have been talking about Europe, where the superchargers are CCS -- but Musk clearly seemed to be talking about individual owners being able to sign up.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts