Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electrify America and VW have announced a plan that gives ID.4 owners unlimited charging for 3 years!

This is a great way for VW to sweeten the deal for us and flex their muscles that they own Electrify America.

Reston, VA (September 21, 2020) – Electrify America today announced an agreement with Volkswagen of America to provide owners of the all-new 2021 VW ID.4 electric SUV with three years of unlimited charging sessions on the nation’s largest open DC fast charging network at no additional cost to the vehicle’s purchase price.

To increase range confidence, Volkswagen will provide ID.4 customers, who lease or purchase the electric SUV, with access to Electrify America’s more than 470 charging stations and over 2,000 DC fast chargers, including a newly completed cross-country route to take electric vehicle (EV) drivers from Washington D.C. to L.A.

Electrify America is currently the only open, public charging network to offer chargers with power levels up to 350 kilowatts. Across the country, 96 percent of the population live within 120 miles of an Electrify America charger.

Delivering on Electrify America’s commitment to seamless and convenient charging, Volkswagen customers will be able to manage their charging plan through an app provided by Electrify America.

“With a relentless commitment to driving the electric vehicle industry forward, Electrify America opened DC fast-charging stations at an accelerated pace of 1.2 per business day in 2019,” said Giovanni Palazzo, president and chief executive officer of Electrify America. “As more and more electric vehicles are introduced to the market, and consumer interest grows, we are excited to announce this agreement with Volkswagen to deliver fast and accessible charging to ID.4 customers and a new wave of EV adopters.”

“The ID.4 was engineered, loaded and priced to win the hearts of SUV owners who are simply ready to go electric—and fall in love with Volkswagen again,” said Scott Keogh, CEO, Volkswagen Group of America. “By adding three years of fast charging at no additional cost through Electrify America, we are eliminating all barriers for mainstream compact SUV buyers to go electric.”

To meet current and future demand, Electrify America continues to expand rapidly, with plans to install or have under development approximately 800 total charging stations with about 3,500 DC fast chargers by December 2021.

·
177 Posts
I think non-VW EV owners expected this was VW's intent from day 1 (the entire EA effort was part of the VW emissions fraud settlement). I am glad because I am seriously considering an ID.4.

Also, note that many EA stations are not working, and not well maintained. That could change with VW being now more invested in EVs.

For those new to BEVs, this is one of the better charge station finders (includes EA charging stations): Plugshare

·
85 Posts
I have only tried to use EA once before close to Worcester, MA and it didn't work on my 2019 eGolf. I have had very good luck with both ChargePoint and EVgo in the New England area my only issue is lack of charging stations in areas I go to over the years. However if I do end up going with the larger battery size on the ID4 that will not be much of an issue.

·
113 Posts
This is great news, but hopefully they add more stations. The nearest one to me is 15 minutes away, but I don't know if it is actually working. The closest one to me that works is 1 hour away and I live in a metro area.

I hope they have them at the VW dealerships. That would make the most sense.

·
177 Posts
This is great news, but hopefully they add more stations. The nearest one to me is 15 minutes away, but I don't know if it is actually working. The closest one to me that works is 1 hour away and I live in a metro area.

I hope they have them at the VW dealerships. That would make the most sense.
Look up your nearby EA charging stations on Plugshare . It give recent driver's reports, and usually indicates which if any stations are not working. It even shows when they are in use.

For the GM Bolt BEV, Chevy installed both regular 240 Vac charging stations ("L2") as well as one fast charger (then, it was Bosch 22 - 25 kWh charging) at most of the Chevrolet dealerships. It was very common to arrive at a dealership, only to find a gas car (ICE) parked or blocking the charger. One dealership in Albany, NY put up signs for their loaner cars to park in the EV charging spots. Another dealership in Syracuse, NY put the fast charger inside in the service area so you had to do a "no cost" service visit only during business hours. This could be different for VW (let's hope so), but most traditional dealerships do not like EVs, or at least do not favor them. They require very little to no maintenance, and therefore hurt the dealership by reducing service income.

·
113 Posts
Look up your nearby EA charging stations on Plugshare . It give recent driver's reports, and usually indicates which if any stations are not working. It even shows when they are in use.
It says both near me are under repair because new chargers are being put in. This was on 8/25 and 9/2, so hopefully by the time the ID.4 comes in they will be updated.

·
126 Posts
The nearest EA charging station to me is just over 1.5 hrs, 75 miles away, not very useful. Hopefully EA will expand their coverage in the near future. There appears to be a "Plug Share" charging station within 10 minutes of me, still trying to find out its details.

·
177 Posts
Going west, EA is over an hour away, but going east, there is an EA charge station 20 miles away. Maybe if I'm going that way anyway, but not sure I would do 40 miles round trip just to "fill up". As with many EV owners (trees and other factors allowing), I'm on a grid tied solar array which helps. It is not so much "free" electricity, as much as in 2016, I paid ahead for 15 years of electricity, still it helps.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
233 Posts
I have an EA charging station 2 miles from my house. I also live near a large business complex, which includes several corporations that have public Level 2 chargers available for free. I might make a sport of free charging.

·
85 Posts
I live in eastern Massachusetts, there are 3 EA locations with-in roughly 30 minutes from home and looks like a 4th location will be installed in the near future (coming soon on their map).

The places I visit often in New Hampshire and Vermont have no locations near by. I recently saw a local newspaper article from where I grew up in the CT River Valley in New Hampshire near I-89 and I-91 that plans to install a EA location fell through (would have been a great location).

As someone that has owned an e-Golf for most of this year and has driven to Bar Harbor, ME which is nearly 300 miles away and multiple 250 mile round trips this summer having charging stations spread across the North East (and other parts of the US) in less populated areas with a lot of tourists will make the transition to BEVs easier for people.

Most of the time you charge your EV at home you only need them when going on big trips. I realize that DC Fast Chargers are expensive but having the furthest north DC Faster charger (only 1 charger too) for CCS cars be in Bedford, NH is sad.

·
28 Posts
For the first time back in June, I drove from Denver to San Diego using mostly EA locations. I have never tried that drive in anything other than a Tesla. Every EA location had at least one working charger. I never had to wait for one to be free. The monopoly that Tesla has had on cross-country driving in an EV are gone.

You need to sign-up for several networks and download a few apps, but the CCS fast charging availability rivals Tesla in my opinion. Check first, but it is no longer impossible to do long drives.

·
12 Posts
With a new EA station that has 11 CCS chargers less than 3 mile from my home and my work has 3 free hours of charging daily. I don't think i'll be charging much at home. But, I have a 10-30 dryer outlet. So, I'll probably buy a NEMA plug for any supplemental charging.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts