Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
70 Posts
I have been watching the ElectrifyHome web page. Their home charger seems to have been on back order for a couple of months. Does anyone else know what is going on? Also, they show a 50 amp plug. I believe it can also be hard wired. Since my breaker panel is in my garage right next to where I will park my car the run is very short. I was planning on hard wire but is there any advantage to hard wire over a 50 amp plug? My interest in this topic is picking up as my dealer gave me a date of 7/30 for build complete for my AWD model that I ordered in January. I would like to get the charger in advance, so I can figure out how I want to install it. I would like to stick to the recommended charger but may have to buy something different.
I believe that if you want to run anything over 40 amps (??), it's better to hardwire. I will only be pulling 24 amps and am still going to hardwire. I will also install a disconnect right next to the evse for emergency shut off.

·
162 Posts
I have been snooping around the web, looking at alternatives. I am now in a high state of panic. Every charger that I look at is back ordered. Chargepoint says it is backordered but will ship in 4-5 weeks. My car could conceivable arrive in that timeframe. Yikes!
I bought a Grizzl-e Classic directly from Grizzl-e and received it within a week. This was just 2 1/2 weeks ago. Seems very solidly built and has performed without a hitch. It is a dumb charger, so no fancy app, but I don't really have a need for the extras some chargers offer. Right now, my local utility has a flat rate (~11 cents/KWH in summer) so I don't need start/stop timer ability. And, hopefully, VW will get their in-car charger software straightened out on this point with an update here in the near future. If VW does this, and my utility changes to day/night rates, I should still be OK down the road.

·
532 Posts
is there any advantage to hard wire over a 50 amp plug?
Here’s a brief list of the benefits of direct wiring:
  • Fewer Issues
  • Lower Cost (both initial and long term)
  • Less Maintenance
  • Safer
  • Cleaner Looking install
  • Follows many manufacturer instructions and requirements
  • Follows Code without a GFCI that is otherwise required with all EVSE outlets:
    2020 NEC 210.8(A)(2)&(3) and 625.54,
    2017 NEC 625.54, TIA 17-2

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
129 Posts
I bought a Grizzl-e Classic directly from Grizzl-e and received it within a week. This was just 2 1/2 weeks ago. Seems very solidly built and has performed without a hitch. It is a dumb charger, so no fancy app, but I don't really have a need for the extras some chargers offer. Right now, my local utility has a flat rate (~11 cents/KWH in summer) so I don't need start/stop timer ability. And, hopefully, VW will get their in-car charger software straightened out on this point with an update here in the near future. If VW does this, and my utility changes to day/night rates, I should still be OK down the road.
I second this review - loving the Grizzl-E!

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
937 Posts
I have been snooping around the web, looking at alternatives. I am now in a high state of panic. Every charger that I look at is back ordered. Chargepoint says it is backordered but will ship in 4-5 weeks. My car could conceivable arrive in that timeframe. Yikes!
The Clipper Creek HCS-50 was similarly back-ordered and I was thinking "no way am I paying $635 for that thing they don't even have." So I set up a search on eBay and waited. And waited. And after months, one finally popped up, half an i3's range away from me, for half the price.

I don't recommend my method. :/

·
31 Posts
I just ordered a Grizzl-e Classic from Amazon. I got their Avalanche Edition, which should arrive to me by middle of August, but if you need something ahead of receiving your car, they have their Camo version (they're just different colors, but all have the same functionality), you can get it in a few days. The nice thing about the Grizzl-e is the amperage can be adjusted based on what your wiring is/will be.
Well, I finally found a Juicebox 48 for sale that appears to ship right away. It will be hardwired into my breaker box, which is right next to where I will install the charger (in my garage). Assuming this works out my panic is over and I will be ready for my car when it finally arrives (most optimistic date is middle of September).

·
31 Posts
Well, I just found a Juicebox 48 and ordered it. Hopefully it arrives soon and I can get it hardwired without undue delay. This will mean I will be ready for my car when it finally arrives. The Juicebox 48 is 48 amps, which is the most that the car will accept, and it does have to be hardwired. In my case hard wiring in easy, as my breaker box is right next to where I part my car in the garage. So I am talking inches of wire (and conduit) to reach the box. I will use a 60A breaker.

·
31 Posts
Here’s a brief list of the benefits of direct wiring:
  • Fewer Issues
  • Lower Cost (both initial and long term)
  • Less Maintenance
  • Safer
  • Cleaner Looking install
  • Follows many manufacturer instructions and requirements
  • Follows Code without a GFCI that is otherwise required with all EVSE outlets:
    2020 NEC 210.8(A)(2)&(3) and 625.54,
    2017 NEC 625.54, TIA 17-2
I just found and ordered a Juicebox 48 for $679. It needs to be hardwired with 60A breaker. In my case not a problem since it will be installed within inches of my breaker box (200A service) in my garage. Hopefully it will arrive soon and will be fully installed before my car arrives in the US. I am hoping for a mid-September delivery with build date end of July (AWD). Hopefully I am not being overly optimistic.

·
31 Posts
I just found and ordered a Juicebox 48 for $679. It needs to be hardwired with 60A breaker. In my case not a problem since it will be installed within inches of my breaker box (200A service) in my garage. Hopefully it will arrive soon and will be fully installed before my car arrives in the US. I am hoping for a mid-September delivery with build date end of July (AWD). Hopefully I am not being overly optimistic.
Although I ordered the JuiceBox 48 several days ago I am not very worried I have been scammed. I ordered from a web site called ZEVSociety.com. I recommend avoiding them. First, although they show the JuiceBox 48 they do not mention that it is also back ordered and no in stock, unlike the other (presumably legitimate) web sites. Despite not having the product they did charge my credit card for the full amount. After I placed the order I did not receive anything from them, such as a confirmation email. So I figured I would call them and see what was going on. I went to their web site and could not find a phone number listed. The only way to contact them is to fill out a form on their web site. I did this and I admit they got back to me pretty quickly (hours). They complained about supplier problems and that it would be a couple of weeks before they had anything. I decided to cancel the order, so I replied back to them requesting they cancel the order. I went back to them a second time and requested they cancel my order, at which point they told me it would take a few days for the bank to process the refund. At this point I do not know if I can expect a refund in a few days or if this is simply a scam. I will update this if I do in fact get a refund.
What I recommend is that no one use the ZEVSociety.com web site. I do not trust any web site that claims to have something that they do not have. I do not trust a web site with no phone number to call for service. And I do not like any web site that charges my card for something they do not actually have in stock. I probably should have been a bit more suspicious and careful but I was in a major panic when all chargers I looked at were back ordered and/or out of stock, including Electrify Home.

·
31 Posts
As luck would have it I had barely ordered the Juicebox (see post above) when I got the email notifying me that Electrify Home chargers are back in stock. If only I had waited a couple more days. But as my hoped for build date gets close (another story) I really do not want to finally get my car and not be able to charge it at home.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Don't know what made me check, but Electrify Home reports that their chargers are back in stock as of a few minutes ago. (when I looked) Still $650.

I had grabbed one when they first came out, but I'm still waiting for the electrician, or someone like him. (for all my Firesign Theater peeps) So I can't make any comments about it besides the physical nature.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We're all bozos on this Buzzz?

Go ahead, say it... "Wrong album."
Well done! All albums welcome here. And chromium switches too.

Speaking of the EA unit itself, I got an email today, posted below. Very weird, one would think this problem would have been immediately obvious a while ago...

Dear Dan,

Thank you for your recent HomeStation purchase,

We are reaching out to notify you that the HomeStation – Level 2 Home Charger has a configuration error and is not allowing the charger to communicate with the Electrify America app properly.

We value customer satisfaction, and in order to optimize your experience, Electrify Home is offering you the option to either replace your HomeStation at no cost to you, or allow you to return the unit for a full refund. Electrify Home will also reimburse installation costs you may incur to uninstall your current HomeStation and hardwire your replacement HomeStation into your dwelling’s electrical panel. Please see the below information with details on how to proceed, including details on receiving a refund if you choose not to replace your HomeStation. All requests for replacement and/or reimbursement must be received by Electrify Home by August 15th, 2021.

If you have any questions, please contact our customer support team by email [email protected] or phone 833-532-2778.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Your team at Electrify Home
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE YOUR HOMESTATION WITH A NEW UNIT:
Step 1 - To receive a replacement HomeStation:
  1. Contact our customer support team by email [email protected] or phone 833-532-2778;
  2. Have your order number ready to confirm;
  3. Electrify Home will ship a replacement HomeStation to you at no cost. Included in this shipment will be a return shipping label for your original HomeStation;
  4. Use the original packaging or the packaging from the replacement HomeStation to package your return;
  5. Ship us back your original HomeStation within 20 days of receipt of your replacement HomeStation.
REPLACEMENT PROCESS INSTALLATION COST COVERAGE:
Step 2 - To receive installation cost reimbursement for a hardwired HomeStation:
  1. Contact your original installer and request that they remove the original HomeStation and install the replacement HomeStation.
  2. Proof of payment and a copy of the invoice for removal of the existing unit and reinstallation of the replacement unit is required.
  3. Once you have completed Steps 2 (a) and (b) above, contact our customer support team by email at [email protected]and attach a copy of your paid invoice and proof of payment within 15 days following completion of the removal and reinstallation. To ensure the quickest possible service, please include your original order number in the subject of the email.
Electrify Home will reimburse you for any hardwired installation costs to uninstall your current HomeStation and reimburse you to install the replacement HomeStation.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RETURN YOUR HOMESTATION FOR A REFUND WITHOUT A REPLACEMENT:
Step 1 - To return your HomeStation:
Please navigate to Orders and Returns and follow the steps to return your HomeStation and request a refund.
REIMBURSEMENT PROCESS INSTALLATION COST COVERAGE
Step 2 - To receive reimbursement of costs spent to install and uninstall a hardwired HomeStation that you are returning but not replacing:
  1. Contact your original installer and request that they remove your HomeStation;
  2. Proof of payment of a prior invoice for installation of your unit and a copy of the prepaid invoice for the removal of HomeStation is required;
  3. Once you have completed Steps 2 (a) and (b) above, contact our customer support team by email at [email protected]and attach a copy of your paid invoices or proofs of payment within 15 days following completion of uninstallation. To ensure the quickest possible service, please include your original order number in the subject of the email.
Electrify Home will reimburse you for both your original installation costs and the costs to uninstall HomeStation.

Here are some details concerning your reimbursement, should you opt for a refund:
  1. If you have chosen to receive a refund for your purchase, you will be refunded the original purchase amount on the method of payment used to purchase your home charger. It may take up to 14 business days for the refund to show up on your credit card statement.
  2. Reimbursement for installation costs will be sent via check mailed to the billing address of the original purchase. Checks will be sent within 10 business days of receipt of your proof of purchase of paid invoice being received by Electrify Home.

Questions?
Contact us 24 hours a day at 833-532-2778.

Stay Connected
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterInstagramInstagramLinkedInLinkedInYouTubeYouTube
View this email online.
View our Privacy Statement and Terms of Use.
© 2021 Electrify America. All Rights Reserved.
2003 Edmund Halley Dr. Reston, VA 20191

·
21 VW ID4 Pro RWD
10 Posts
I just ordered an ElectrifyHome unit, expected delivery within a couple days. 40A (9.6kW) should be plenty for overnight charging, 48A would be another $~300 for equipment and installation and doesnt seem worth 40-90 minutes quicker charge on a 48A. I cancelled an order placed through my Co-op. Their supplier uses ClipperCreek and it has taken longer than expected for them to fulfill the order 10-12wks versus 4-6.

I made a table to help with my decision, it lays out the amount of time in hours it takes to recover a percentage of charge.

Reactions: Nai3t

·
9 Posts
The EA home charger was my first choice until I saw its NEMA 3R enclosure rating. Not protected against windblown dust. That could be a problem in our carport. I have a Grizzl-e waiting for the electrician (and yes, we've been making Firesign Theatre jokes too)

·
31 Posts
I just ordered an ElectrifyHome unit, expected delivery within a couple days. 40A (9.6kW) should be plenty for overnight charging, 48A would be another $~300 for equipment and installation and doesnt seem worth 40-90 minutes quicker charge on a 48A. I cancelled an order placed through my Co-op. Their supplier uses ClipperCreek and it has taken longer than expected for them to fulfill the order 10-12wks versus 4-6.

I made a table to help with my decision, it lays out the amount of time in hours it takes to recover a percentage of charge.

View attachment 4687
I would question your 120V number. I thought it was 10A, since many/most 120V circuits have 15A circuit breakers. I just use a number like 2.7 miles/hour for level 1 charging (120V), 27 mph for level 2 (40A) and 270 mph for level 3 (fast DC) charging. If you want to charge to 100% remember that the charge rate will slow down as you get past 50% and even more dramatically after 80-90%.

·
31 Posts
I would question your 120V number. I thought it was 10A, since many/most 120V circuits have 15A circuit breakers. I just use a number like 2.7 miles/hour for level 1 charging (120V), 27 mph for level 2 (40A) and 270 mph for level 3 (fast DC) charging. If you want to charge to 100% remember that the charge rate will slow down as you get past 50% and even more dramatically after 80-90%.
Sorry, replied to wrong entry. I was commenting on the table two posts earlier.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
937 Posts
...48A would be another $~300 for equipment and installation and doesnt seem worth 40-90 minutes quicker charge on a 48A. ...

I installed a 40A, but would point out the following two pros and cons when choosing:
- 48A capability would be smart future-proofing with the assumption that there will be additional EVs in many households in the near future
- OTOH, 48A is a lot of power (as is 40A) and even though not DCFC-stratospheric current, it all the same creates a lot of heat that requires active cooling, and is potentially more detrimental to battery health than running as a lower amperage (unfortunately with the ID.4 it's only max amperage or 8A; a selectable charger would need to do the rest). Higher amperages are also higher on the local grid if a bunch of neighbors all choose the same.

I'd love it if EVs in general offered adaptable rate charging that decreased the charging current to the minimum necessary to meet a set departure time or fixed time (like every morning at 7 whether a departure was set or not), not just take full available power inside the off-peak window. But then again, VW couldn't even get that right, so I'm not holding my breath.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts