1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few publications released their first or second drive write-ups this morning:

·
323 Posts
A few publications released their first or second drive write-ups this morning:

Thanks. Pretty underwhelming set of reviews so far. Could there be a worse, more misleading headline than that of Car and Driver. These are why a usually avoid the traditional auto media and look to the video reviews from the little guys.

·
Proud FE owner
994 Posts
Here's an ungated copy of the WSJ article. This guy is just flat-out anti-VW (as evidenced in prior articles). Misstep on VW's part to let him even receive a media car.

Reactions: Melodiacoffee

·
5 Posts
Thanks. Pretty underwhelming set of reviews so far. Could there be a worse, more misleading headline than that of Car and Driver. These are why a usually avoid the traditional auto media and look to the video reviews from the little guys.
Indeed - I'm looking for Doug DeMuro's video on the car, which should come out on March 1.

·
50 Posts
Not only is it a garbage take because Tesla EPA is higher, but they tested the id.4 at 40 degrees vs Tesla at 75!

·
370 Posts
Could there be a worse, more misleading headline than that of Car and Driver.
Not only is it a garbage take because Tesla EPA is higher, but they tested the id.4 at 40 degrees vs Tesla at 75!
Agreed. The Car & Driver article has errors too. They also quote the Model Y LR battery as an 80.5-kWh battery pack, but the actual size of the LR MY battery is 75 kWh total and 72.5 kWh usable. They compare the ID.4's 77 kWh usable battery capacity to a wrong 80.5 kW Tesla Model Y LR battery capacity....which is completely wrong, not just misleading.

·
2017 Chevrolet Bolt, 1994 Nissan 300ZX
29 Posts
I'd like to see what the WSJ article says are the shortcomings, but that article is behind a paywall.

·
98 Posts
I agree that Dan Neil seems to have a bias against VW products but the other reviews were generally positive. Motor Trend's conclusion:
"We came away impressed by the 2021 Volkswagen ID4, an electric SUV with one set of tires in the present and one in the future. It's good fun to drive, novel but not baffling, and most important a reasonably practical SUV.

·
45 Posts
There are probably a lot of publicists screaming at Car & Driver right now for their article. Everything they said is factual but it could have been presented a lot better.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
Here's an ungated copy of the WSJ article. This guy is just flat-out anti-VW (as evidenced in prior articles). Misstep on VW's part to let him even receive a media car.

Is it just me or is the writing style on that article bizarre? Was it translated or something? Scraped maybe?

·
Proud FE owner
994 Posts
Is it just me or is the writing style on that article bizarre? Was it translated or something? Scraped maybe?
It certainly was more alien than intellectual, like most WSJ writing.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
I think these are all right on. I think it was ErickF or someone else on this forum that reminded us not to make the ID.4 into something it isn't. I am reading that the 4 is a solid, fun ride, with some good utility. If you want something more than that, there are other options now. But I am curious how the Q4 will differentiate itself.:cool:

·
Proud FE owner
994 Posts
Redline Reviews just posted that VW delivered a car for their review. Should be seeing a video in the coming days.

·
45 Posts
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/id4/2021/2021-volkswagen-id4-ev-first-test-review/. I'm a little through this review and it seems pretty even.

And what of range? Like its acceleration, the ID4's EPA-rated 250 miles is not the stuff of headlines, but it's an honest number. In ordinary driving, including quite a bit of time on the freeway (generally a range-sponge for EVs), we found the ID4 eagerly met or slightly exceeded this figure. More aggressive driving clipped our range by about 10 percent, but we don't test cars or scream through the curves every day, and an overnight charge was sufficient for four or five days' worth of ordinary driving. A 300-plus-mile figure would give the ID4 bragging rights, but for electric-car owners charging at home, the ID4 need cause no range anxiety.

·
110 Posts
I think these are all right on. I think it was ErickF or someone else on this forum that reminded us not to make the ID.4 into something it isn't. I am reading that the 4 is a solid, fun ride, with some good utility. If you want something more than that, there are other options now. But I am curious how the Q4 will differentiate itself.:cool:
I wonder about that too. The longer I wait for my AWD, the more appealing it looks. They will probably wait until October to announce, so prevent people from jumping over if it hits the mark. There is still no reference to it on the Audi USA website at all (which is way less informative than the international site). 🙄

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
I did some quick math, using Chargeway's range estimates for a given temperature and speed to adjust the ID.4 range:
Chargeway estimates a 192 mile range for ID.4 at 75F and 75 mph, 172 mile range at 45F and 75 mph. So that gives an additional 20 miles at 75F. or an estimated 212 miles had Car&Driver run their test at 75F. So:

Tesla Model Y LR has 35% lower range in their 75 mph test than the EPA number. 220 vs 326 miles.
VW ID.4 at 75F might have had 18% lower range in the 75 mph test than the EPA range. 212 vs 250, and a mere 8 miles less than the Tesla.

At face value, and not correcting for temperature, the ID.4 only lost 24% range vs. the Y LR's 35%.

I'd call this a nice and reliable result.

·
257 Posts
Viewed as a regular EV that's suitable for the average car buyer, because its exactly that, the ID.4 is a great option. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the new Bolt EUV, a direct rival. Anyone here trying to decide between those two models?

1 - 20 of 201 Posts