Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Embargo lifted today? USA first drives coming in

21K views 200 replies 54 participants last post by  YowVil 
Not only is it a garbage take because Tesla EPA is higher, but they tested the id.4 at 40 degrees vs Tesla at 75!
I did some quick math, using Chargeway's range estimates for a given temperature and speed to adjust the ID.4 range:
Chargeway estimates a 192 mile range for ID.4 at 75F and 75 mph, 172 mile range at 45F and 75 mph. So that gives an additional 20 miles at 75F. or an estimated 212 miles had Car&Driver run their test at 75F. So:

Tesla Model Y LR has 35% lower range in their 75 mph test than the EPA number. 220 vs 326 miles.
VW ID.4 at 75F might have had 18% lower range in the 75 mph test than the EPA range. 212 vs 250, and a mere 8 miles less than the Tesla.

At face value, and not correcting for temperature, the ID.4 only lost 24% range vs. the Y LR's 35%.

I'd call this a nice and reliable result.

It certainly was more alien than intellectual, like most WSJ writing.
More like straining for linguistic flourishes and badly failing. I gave up, thinking a half-trained overseas person had written it.

I’ve watched all of them actually. A 70 is VERY good. But this got a 50– pretty much lower than all other mainstream EVs.
Yeah, looking over the weekend scores and comparing to other voices out there, the ID.4 could have reached 30+ total. And maybe a couple more on the daily. Oh well...
Digging into the review itself. he has many good things to say about the items he eventually scores low.

The more I read and watch (focusing on balanced reviews and excluding the super biased ones, pro and con), the more I conclude that my original assessment of the ID4 was correct. Sure It has its warts that we all know of, and there will be better options next year, but right now, at its price point, the ID4 is nearly unbeatable.

I am excited about these two new data points:
230/234 miles range in 40 degree weather at 70 mph. (Chargeway would tell you to expect 182 miles, based on whatever formula they apply.)
2% - 80% charge in 38 minutes.
Both demonstrate that VW underpromised, the first one especially.

Early software versions are often much slower than later ones. Optimization techniques are left out to better recognize and isolate bugs. Also, there’s probably quite a bit of room in the interplay of sub modules of the code. Give it time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.