Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received this greeting this afternoon--~90 miles on the odometer. The light next to the SOS button is solid red as well. Coincidental, as I just paid for the "safe and secure" subscription, which I only did after none of the other services worked through Carnet. Looks like a service visit will be my next step, but not likely until I have other issues that are a bit more substantive. (I hear a rattle in the front right, which will likely add to this.

Rear liftgate question: Has anyone had the foot control consistently work? Opening seems to be the most reliable, with closing being the least reliable (I've had it work once.). Generally, when attempting to close, it throws a series of beeps at me and fails to close.

Finally, a dealer commentary: Volkswagen needs to ensure that the dealerships selling these has qualified people that have gone through some level of certification. The sales team I worked with was top-notch from a sales experience perspective. But answering anything but very simple questions results in blank looks.

Rear liftgate question: Has anyone had the foot control consistently work? Opening seems to be the most reliable, with closing being the least reliable (I've had it work once.). Generally, when attempting to close, it throws a series of beeps at me and fails to close.
Yes I can make it work every time, the trick is you have to step back about 6' from the car. That's what the beeps are telling you.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
The lift gate foot control for opening has worked every time for me. As oft cited you have to step back otherwise a proximity safety sensor does not allow same.

I've had no issue foot-closing it, again with immediate "social lift gate distancing", but admit I'm more programmed to use the button for closing.

My wife's GLA hatch foot activation has been hit or miss for me. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Confirming what was said above about needing to step away from the car when using the hands-free closing feature. It waits for the key to be a certain distance away from the back of the car. It will actually stop closing and reverse if you walk away then walk back towards the lift gate. Pretty smart!

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
Yes I can make it work every time, the trick is you have to step back about 6' from the car. That's what the beeps are telling you.
How tall are you that you can reach under the car from 6 feet away? :)

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all...I'll give it a try. I am relatively sure I did that, but will make an explicit attempt. In one situation I vividly remember, I did the "kick-close" gesture, and walked away when I heard the beeping. The beeping stopped...the hatch stayed open. I'll play with this a bit more. I do agree the overall feature is a bit of a gimmick, but there are times when my arms are full either loading or unloading.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
Thanks all...I'll give it a try. I am relatively sure I did that, but will make an explicit attempt. In one situation I vividly remember, I did the "kick-close" gesture, and walked away when I heard the beeping. The beeping stopped...the hatch stayed open. I'll play with this a bit more. I do agree the overall feature is a bit of a gimmick, but there are times when my arms are full either loading or unloading.
It comes in especially handy if you are carrying something heavy..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts