Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st, Dusk Blue
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just got the Thule Helium bike rack mounted to the hitch receiver on my FE and it’s great! But when I try to reverse into my driveway the car thinks there is an obstacle and cuts the motor and slams on the brakes. Is there a way to disable this when you have something mounted to the hitch? Thanks in advance.

·
470 Posts
I guess that answers the question if the ID.4 has the same issue as my e-Golf SEL with a bike rack.

This is how you turn off the rear traffic alert.

BTW when I have my hitch rack on on my e-Golf the blind spot monitoring needs to be turned off as well.

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that answers the question if the ID.4 has the same issue as my e-Golf SEL with a bike rack.

This is how you turn off the rear traffic alert.
View attachment 3155

BTW when I have my hitch rack on on my e-Golf the blind spot monitoring needs to be turned off as well.
Thanks for your reply. I figured out you need to turn off “Maneuver Braking” as well, and it needs to be done every time you start the car while you have a rack on it to keep it from braking suddenly while reversing. Be nice to get an option to keep that off permanently if you choose to.

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do those systems shut down when a trailer is plugged in? If it does you could get a trailer light tester and plug it in so the car thinks a trailer is attached.
Yeah, saw that it will shut those systems off and also the backup camera. But at least you could pretty easily attach and detach it. The maneuver braking works so long as you remember to reset it each time you start the vehicle up. Otherwise you are in for a rude awakening when backing up.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
Does VW need to come with a "Bike Rack" mode? That would be a simple fix.
Really they could also be actively using the rear camera in the background to detect if it looks like a bike rack is attached, and automatically prompt the driver to enter bike rack mode

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
947 Posts
Huh. On other cars if a sensor is obstructed i.e. snow, grime, or a Big Mac wrapper, the error message pops up indicating "sensor is blocked." You'd think a chunk of steel creating a persistent signal would result in the same sort of error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts