Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to provide an update because I have been decently active on this forum with my two reservations - actually now 3 because I also added a fresh 2023 (because my converted 2023 was not moving). I'll still hang around here from time to time.

Since my 2023 has not locked yet, my faint chances of getting a tax rebate are gone. Do not qualify next year. I have been asking around for the Q4 e-tron, because dealers have started getting 5-10 pre-configured ones. Most were not meeting my color combo requirement, which is Pebble Gray on beige, which is similar to the moonstone/gray ID.4 I have on order.

Suddenly an enterprising dealer rep spotted one before it was unloaded from the truck and called me. We did the approval docs and deposit remotely in 15 minutes before two other competing reps could get their customers in. (I don't think I could survive in this sort of competitive environment btw).
I did not have any problems charging at both Chargepoint and Electrify America stations while driving from LA to SF Bay area. Had a ID.4 charging right next to me. The Electrify America automatically gave me free charging even without me opening any app. Not even sure how this is possible. The Q4 comes with a token 250KWh or something of free charging, maybe it can share that info.

Attachments

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
354 Posts
Congrats!

Currently, most Electrify America are on free dispense mode - no swipe app activation or credit card required due to network upgrade. It's been going on for about a month now.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats!

Currently, most Electrify America are on free dispense mode - no swipe app activation or credit card required due to network upgrade. It's been going on for about a month now.
Ah! Good to know, thanks.

·
MY2022 ID.4 Pro S with Gradient Package RWD/Moonstone Gray/Lunar Gray
30 Posts
Wanted to provide an update because I have been decently active on this forum with my two reservations - actually now 3 because I also added a fresh 2023 (because my converted 2023 was not moving). I'll still hang around here from time to time.

Since my 2023 has not locked yet, my faint chances of getting a tax rebate are gone. Do not qualify next year. I have been asking around for the Q4 e-tron, because dealers have started getting 5-10 pre-configured ones. Most were not meeting my color combo requirement, which is Pebble Gray on beige, which is similar to the moonstone/gray ID.4 I have on order.

Suddenly an enterprising dealer rep spotted one before it was unloaded from the truck and called me. We did the approval docs and deposit remotely in 15 minutes before two other competing reps could get their customers in. (I don't think I could survive in this sort of competitive environment btw).
I did not have any problems charging at both Chargepoint and Electrify America stations while driving from LA to SF Bay area. Had a ID.4 charging right next to me. The Electrify America automatically gave me free charging even without me opening any app. Not even sure how this is possible. The Q4 comes with a token 250KWh or something of free charging, maybe it can share that info.
Q4 starting show up at dealer in September. San Francisco Audi asked for 10k over MSRP and first come first serve but I did not take it. Both Q4 and ID.4 have same platform.

·
'22 ID.4 Pro S AWD
321 Posts
Ooof. I'm jealous. As much as I enjoy the ID.4, I'd rather have the Audi. I just could not get the extra ~$14k past the CFO (not counting the $7500 rebate that we just squeaked under the wire with).
A lot has changed in a year. When I was originally pricing out options, the Q4 was about $8k more and qualified for the rebate. But prices jumped and rebates vanished (for some).

·
486 Posts
I was at my local VW/Porsche/Audi dealership today waiting while one of my cars was being serviced. They had a 2022VW ID4 Pro AWD ( about $45K) in one showroom and a 2022 Audi Q4 Premium Plus ( about $59K) in another showroom.

So, this is a comparison of a lower level VW vs a mid level Audi but, after sitting in both the difference in the interiors and infotainment systems is very, very significant. I did like the idea that the VW did not have a sunroof ( not a fan of having the sun in my eyes or the leak and creaks). The armrests in the VW are awful ( this is rectified in the 2023 MY). The A/C front/center vents in the VW are low and not optimal vs. the Audi where they are higher. The interior in the Audi, as expected is vastly superior ( as one would expect of an Audi) but certainly not as good as the interior of my wife's 2016 Audi A6. If we were to replace my wife's A6 it would be an ID.4 Pro s AWD vs. a Q4 Premium Plus. I think she would be willing to give up the VW nav ( use Apple Carplay in the Audi), teh auto parking and the massage seats and pay the extra $8-10K for Audi for the styling, interior quality and better infotainment system. Finally, she has gotten spoiled with her A6 and when I pointed out an ID.4 on the road her reaction was not the most positive. Either way, I think we will wait until the 2024 MY when things get somewhat back to normal and the dealers need to sell cars and there is an adequate supply of components.. Meanwhile, I will keep learning about these cars and the VW group will keep learning on how to fix some the early problems/issues with the MEB.

I do wish one could get these higher than base trims without a panoramic sunroof. This is a constant gripe I have with VW ( and Audi)

·
1,717 Posts
I was at my local VW/Porsche/Audi dealership today waiting while one of my cars was being serviced. They had a 2022VW ID4 Pro AWD ( about $45K) in one showroom and a 2022 Audi Q4 Premium Plus ( about $59K) in another showroom.

...and pay the extra $8-10K for Audi for the styling, interior quality and better infotainment system.
Sounds like $14,000 more for the Audi by the pricing you provided. Is the Audi interior $14,000 better?

·
486 Posts
Sounds like $14,000 more for the Audi by the pricing you provided. Is the Audi interior $14,000 better?
My post stated that the two cars I look at were an ID.4 Pro and an Audi Q4 Premium Plus. I also stated in my post that if I were to buy one it would be either an ID.4 Pros S or an Audi Q4 PP. The delta is more like $8-10K. The Audi interior and UI are much better. Is $8-10K worth it? It depends on the individual.

·
921 Posts

So, this is a comparison of a lower level VW vs a mid level Audi but, after sitting in both the difference in the interiors and infotainment systems is very, very significant. I did like the idea that the VW did not have a sunroof ( not a fan of having the sun in my eyes or the leak and creaks). The armrests in the VW are awful ( this is rectified in the 2023 MY). The A/C front/center vents in the VW are low and not optimal vs. the Audi where they are higher. The interior in the Audi, as expected is vastly superior ( as one would expect of an Audi) but certainly not as good as the interior of my wife's 2016 Audi A6. If we were to replace my wife's A6 it would be an ID.4 Pro s AWD vs. a Q4 Premium Plus. I think she would be willing to give up the VW nav ( use Apple Carplay in the Audi), teh auto parking and the massage seats and pay the extra $8-10K for Audi for the styling, interior quality and better infotainment system. Finally, she has gotten spoiled with her A6 and when I pointed out an ID.4 on the road her reaction was not the most positive. Either way, I think we will wait until the 2024 MY when things get somewhat back to normal and the dealers need to sell cars and there is an adequate supply of components.. Meanwhile, I will keep learning about these cars and the VW group will keep learning on how to fix some the early problems/issues with the MEB.

I do wish one could get these higher than base trims without a panoramic sunroof. This is a constant gripe I have with VW ( and Audi)
VW gives Canadians better configuration power.
just 3 base models, sunroof not part of any base model or package. Can be added at $1250CAD (~900USD)

·
2023 ID.4 AWD Pro S
64 Posts
My post stated that the two cars I look at were an ID.4 Pro and an Audi Q4 Premium Plus. I also stated in my post that if I were to buy one it would be either an ID.4 Pros S or an Audi Q4 PP. The delta is more like $8-10K. The Audi interior and UI are much better. Is $8-10K worth it? It depends on the individual.
Totally agree, the AUDI interior and UI are much better than ID series. I originally wanted the Q4 over the ID.4 for those reasons, but couldn't justify the cost difference, combined with the loss of features and lack of availability. I probably would not have even looked at the ID.4, however, if not being drawn in by the Q4. The traffic sign/speed limit display alone should be standard on all vehicles with a front camera. You know the data is there, its just not unlocked unless you UPGRADE to the premium package :rolleyes:. It would be nice if they could build the AUDI alongside the ID series locally, since they share the same chassis.

·
1,470 Posts
Congrats on the new vehicle. Very nice colour and love the front grille.
Personally, I hate the big grill movement. I much prefer the ID.4 and Tesla clean look. Maybe it's an age thing. I just don't want all that chrome.
But really, everyone I spoke to at a NDEW event, last weekend, loved their EV. Nobody wished they had another EV. Nope, I wouldn't trade for a Porsche EV.

·
1,470 Posts
I've always kept my cars 8-11 years. To me spending the premium and having exactly what I wanted is worth it. Same as color.

·
486 Posts
I remember when Audi came out with the large grill for A6 ( 2005?). It looked weird to me at that time but I later realized why they did that. Increasingly stricter pedestrian safety rules ( particularly in the EU) meant more rounded front ends and more distance between the hood and the top of the engine and related hardware meant a more bulbous nose. There were a number of cars that made the rounder noses without the larger grill and some looked more like a puffer fish ( I noticed this with some Volvos). If you look at other brands such as M-B, Lexus, Toyota, BMW you will notice the larger grills to reduce the round look. I think Audi simply did this early to get the consumer reactions over with asap.

By the way, other styling impact from newer pedestrian rules include higher hoods, smaller side windows and taller tails ends. This also created larger, slab-sided cars which helped lead to larger wheels being used to offset that look as well.

·
423 Posts
I just test drove the Audi. It starts at 60k CAD up here in Canada. That comes very well equipped. The first big package is 7500 bucks. The top ID4 AWD statement trim is almost 64k..... If the Audi didn't have such a long wait it really is an appealing alternative. In fact, that's the one I'd go for now. It seems currencies are at play here. The USD is really strong and the ID4 costs are in USD now. The Audi is still coming from Germany and the Euro is getting destroyed lately.

·
1,448 Posts

Beautiful car.

Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts