Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife today tried charging at a local Whole Foods (while she was shopping). When she came out, she couldn't unplug the charging cable handle from the ID.4 charge port. She called me, and I told her to get inside the car, find the charging menu, and stop the charging session from there. She said she did, but the charging cable handle would not come out of the charge port. I then googled this issue and found a post suggesting to hit the unlock button on the key fob multiple times in a quick succession, which would unlock the charge port. She tried it, and it worked.

While I was trying to help her to get the ID.4 charge port unlocked, I asked her to push the stop button on the Whole Foods Level 2 charger, but my wife said she either couldn't find it, or she did push it, but the charge ID.4 charge port remained locked (I don't remember exactly if she could find the stop button on the Level 2 charger).

When she got back home, I tried to emulate this with our home Level 2 charger by stopping a charging station before it reached a pre-set maximum SOC (80% in our case). I got inside the ID.4, and pressed the stop charging (or whatever it's called) button in the charging menu, and I heard the charge port unlock. Then, I was able to pull the charging cable out of the ID.4 charge port. Apparently, this didn't work earlier for my wife with the Whole Foods Level 2 charger.

We've only had the ID.4 for less than a week, but normally, we would just plug it in, wait for the maximum SOC to be reached, and then the charging port gets unlocked, based on the setting I selected in the myVW app to always unlock the charge port once the charging session is completed. However, if we need to leave home before the preset maximum SOC level is reached, we have to stop the charging session first. With my Tesla Model Y, I can simply push the button on the Level 2 charger's handle, and the charging session will stop and the charging port will unlock the handle. So, is it possible to stop the charging session and unlock the charging-cable handle without having to get inside the ID.4?

Thank you.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,124 Posts
So, is it possible to stop the charging session and unlock the charging-cable handle without having to get inside the ID.4?
Yes you have to push on the lever/button on the top of the charge cable plug while not pulling on the plug. Then within a second you should hear a click when the pin that locks the cable to the car releases. My wife would fail at first by pulling too quickly before it clicks. I often stop mine this way.

·
Banned
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you have to push on the lever/button on the top of the charge cable plug while not pulling on the plug. Then within a second you should hear a click when the pin that locks the cable to the car releases. My wife would fail at first by pulling too quickly before it clicks. I often stop mine this way.
My problem is that I'm using the Tesla Level 2 charger with a TeslaTap adapter. So, I'm not sure if the Tesla's charging cable button would communicate to the ID.4 to stop the charging station and unlock the charge port. I need to try this and see how it works.

Is there a way to stop the charging station with the ID.4 keyfob?

·
(Reserved) 2023 AWD Pro S Plus
102 Posts
Is there a way to stop the charging station with the ID.4 keyfob?
I feel like I'm missing something, since you posted the answer to this yourself:

I then googled this issue and found a post suggesting to hit the unlock button on the key fob multiple times in a quick succession, which would unlock the charge port. She tried it, and it worked.
The car handles all charging for Level 1/2 EVSEs, so there wouldn't be a button on the station to stop charging (it doesn't stop or start anything). So the keyfob is the correct answer in this case if you can't simply disconnect by using the plug directly.

The button on the plug used to lift the latch is supposed to be connected to a microswitch that signals to the car that the plug is about to be pulled and to stop trying to charge, which is what causes the car to stop pulling power and unlock. A bad microswitch in the plug could cause problems, thinking about it.

·
Banned
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like I'm missing something, since you posted the answer to this yourself:
The key fob unlock button pressed several times in a quick sequence unlocks the charge port but I think only after the charging session is stopped. I was asking how to stop the charging session without getting inside the car.

My EVSE is a Tesla one, so the handle is not a J1772 standard.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
The key fob unlock button pressed several times in a quick sequence unlocks the charge port but I think only after the charging session is stopped. I was asking how to stop the charging session without getting inside the car.

My EVSE is a Tesla one, so the handle is not a J1772 standard.

To stop the charge you have to push & hold the top lock/unlock button on the J1772 end of your Tesla Tap adapter. The part that plugs into the ID.4. Pressing the button on the Tesla handle will not do anything for a non Tesla car. The car may have to be unlocked for this to work.

·
Banned
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
In my experience the key fob will unlock the cable and stop the charging session if needed.
To stop the charge you have to push & hold the top lock/unlock button on the J1772 end of your Tesla Tap adapter. The part that plugs into the ID.4. Pressing the button on the Tesla handle will not do anything for a non Tesla car. The car may have to be unlocked for this to work.
My TeslaTap is a Mini. It has no button to push on it. The release lever that does exist on it doesn’t move unless the Tesla connector is taken out of it.

Last night I replicated starting and stopping a charging station several times. The button on the Tesla connector does stop the charging session. After you push it, you hear the ID.4 charge port unlock the Tesla Tap adapter. Then you can pull out the Tesla charging connector. What happens when you pull on it is the Tesla connector comes out of the TeslaTap mini, while the TeslaTap mini is still inserted into the ID.4 charge port. Then you can pull the TeslaTap adapter out of the ID.4 charge port - it’s no longer locked into the charge port.

If you pull the Tesla connector out without first pushing the button on it to stop the charging session, you get an error on both the Tesla Wall connector and on the ID.4. The ID.4 charge port LED lights up red and stays red. The Tesla Wall Connectir starts flashing a strange pattern of LED, which I had never seen it do. To clear the errors, I had to re-insert the Tesla connector into the TeslaTap and start a charging session again Then, I pushed the button on the Tesla connector, waited for the charge port to unlock, and removed the Tesla connector while the TeslaTap was still connected to the ID.4 with the charge port unlocked.

When I tried to press the button on the Tesla connector but not remove it, the ID.4 charge port locked again in a few seconds and the charging session resumed.

I also found a way to stop the charging session via the iPhone. I created a Siri shortcut for this purpose, assigned it a custom phrase, and now I can use Siri to stop the charging session on the ID.4. The Siri shortcut can be created in the myVW app. Somehow myVW app developers forgot to enable the feature of stopping a charging session from the myVW app, even though they provided a way to create a Siri shortcut for stopping a charging session. One can also create a Siri shortcut to start a charging session on the ID.4.

Additionally, I found out that there is such a thing as Siri Automotive commands, which are different from Siri Shortcuts created via the app. The only Siri Automotive command that works with the ID.4 that I found so far is, “How much fuel does my car have?” Sri returns the state of charge and the estimated mileage as a response to this command.

I have no idea if there is an analog to Siri Shortcuts and Siri Automotive commands in Android OS.

·
(Reserved) 2023 AWD Pro S Plus
102 Posts
For the keyfob, it should be possible to do a similar test by watching the charge status light at the charge port. The keyfob shutting off charging should be reflected in the charge light changing from green (charging) to white.

There’s also another method I’ve seen online for stopping charge via the keyfob of locking and then unlocking the car from the fob that is worth trying.

The ID.4 manual isn’t great here. Go figure.

When I tried to press the button on the Tesla connector but not remove it, the ID.4 charge port locked again in a few seconds and the charging session resumed.
This seems expected based on what I’m reading, but a little disappointing. Not very intuitive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts