Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at the stage for arranging financing for my Id.4 and was curious. Should I sign up for EA now before delivery or wait until I have the vehicle and the EA code info? Does it make any difference? Also, I am not a smart phone user, don’t talk that much. Can I use a card to activate the charger instead of the app? Thanks for any info.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
310 Posts
I am at the stage for arranging financing for my Id.4 and was curious. Should I sign up for EA now before delivery or wait until I have the vehicle and the EA code info? Does it make any difference? Also, I am not a smart phone user, don’t talk that much. Can I use a card to activate the charger instead of the app? Thanks for any info.
I think right now you need a smart phone. I'm not aware of any way to use your EA account without a smart phone?

Also the ID.4 NAV system is trash, are you sure you don't want a smart phone for Google Maps?

·
282 Posts
I echo getting a smart phone, that is how I start charging at EA using an app only . But I would wait until I had the car code to down load EA.

·
24 Posts
with the smart phone you will hardly use it for talk because you can do all other activities ;)

·
61 Posts
Doesn't matter. Sign up whenever you want.

Edit: without the smart phone you may want to wait until plug and charge is available.

Also, the navigation sucks in the ID.4 when including chargers. If you plan on using a lot if fast charging, a smart phone is probably worth it. Even and inexpensive one.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,571 Posts
When I got my then-new iPhone 12 it wasn't able to install the EA App due to an issue on their end playing nice with the latest iOS. So I opened my EA account on an older iPad and used the code the dealer gave me (it's also on the Monroney sticker). So it can be done.

I wouldn't say the integral Nav is trash/sucks, as I use it often, but concede there are better App's in terms of locating EVSE's. I've used the ChargePoint App for finding their out of the way L2 EVSE's (have now noted most every Town Hall in my area has a couple).

I too am eagerly awaiting Plug & Charge as it's simply the way it ought to be.

·
61 Posts
The internal navigation doesn't priority EA, or even DCFC. That is objectively crap for an EV. I'm sorry, I really like my car, but that isn't acceptable. Especially with the EA deal.

·
310 Posts
Not only the failure to list chargers, but using the internal nav via voice prompts OR via inputted text is really just much inferior to use picking up your phone and entering it on Google Maps and/or using Google Assistant/Siri. Plus there is the fact that you have to pay for the internal nav after a couple of years whereas Google Maps/Apple Maps/Waze are free forever. Obviously we'll never get numbers but I'd be surprised if even 15% of ID.4 drivers end up using the Nav system.

·
310 Posts
(The flipside to eschewing the internal nav and basically using Android Auto/Carplay for nav+music is that the lagginess of the infotainment becomes less of a big deal, as well).

·
4 Posts
Great that Electrify American is free, however there are minimal stations. Even here in Los Angeles, you would think they would be all over but there's barely any stations. In ALL of LA County there's maybe 26 stations...26!? That's it! I mean come on...there should be 10 times more than that in Los Angeles.

·
216 Posts
DC fast charging is not meant to be your primary charging method. Most people cans and will charge at home, some at work or school. Electrify America will only build stations that can be profitable so saturating one area isn’t in there best interest although if you look at the number of stations around LA and factor in the coming soon you have quite a lot for one area. DC fast charging stations are meant to make sure you can have the range to travel long distances without worrying about needing to wait for an 8 hour charge.

·
324 Posts
My integral Nav is always on. So count me in the 15% 🤣
Why do you use that over Google Maps or Apple Maps? I haven't done much comparing, but I like how Apple Maps integrates with watch and diver's display. The one time I used the car's nav was on a test drive and it seemed to work fine.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,571 Posts
i appreciate the value of Google and Apple Maps and do use them as well. Also ChargePoint and even EA when applicable. But just driving around I like to have a Nav display and the integral is adequate.
My prior Audi had integral SatNav augmented by a Google cellular overlay. That was excellent but alas VAG and Google have gone their separate ways as of last December.
Why do you use that over Google Maps or Apple Maps? I haven't done much comparing, but I like how Apple Maps integrates with watch and diver's display. The one time I used the car's nav was on a test drive and it seemed to work fine.

·
190 Posts
The ID light while using the integrated nav is SO cool. If I go somewhere that doesn't need charging guidance I'll use that.

Otherwise, I don't think EA has key-tags you can order to avoid using the app right now, like Chargepoint. Otherwise that would be a good solution to get the discounted rate of having an account.

·
7 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts