Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the cockpit, I am getting the light below (key and umbrella) coming on. Looks like it might have something to do with Wi-Fi possibly, but I cannot find anything in the manual that addresses this. If anyone knows what it is and most important of all how to "control" it, would appreciate knowing.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
I’ve seen photos of a corresponding symbol in the cup holder area behind the wireless charging pad. I assumed it was where you place the key if the fob remote is dead so you can turn the vehicle on. So maybe your key fob battery is low??? That would be weird, but maybe it’s a bad battery???

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I’ve seen photos of a corresponding symbol in the cup holder area behind the wireless charging pad. I assumed it was where you place the key if the fob remote is dead so you can turn the vehicle on. So maybe your key fob battery is low??? That would be weird, but maybe it’s a bad battery???
Just tried it with the spare key and received the same error, I don't believe it is a FOB battery issue. I have gone through the manual several times and I could not find reference to that warning light anywhere.

The light does not turn off once you start driving, which is interesting. I am really not concerned about any damage being done, since the symbol seems to be somewhat universal. Umbrella as I call it for WiFi and the key for FOB or key. As long as you have them and the car starts then all is ok. I believe I neglected to say that I cannot lock the vehicle by pressing the door handles and must lock it by using the key fob.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
138 Posts
Just a guess - Wifi wants/needs a password key?

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, now I think we are on the right track, but I am not sure what password it wants, I will need to go out and open the app and see what happens ... Stay tuned

·
59 Posts
Most keyless start systems have a backup system where in the event that the car can’t detect the key on your person, you can place the key in a certain spot and it works even if the key battery is dead.

I would think that is what the logo on the center console is indicating.

edit: you mention touching the handle does not lock the car. This is another indicator of a problem with they key proximity system. Maybe try putting the key in that spot in the center console and turning the car on and off?

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, now I think we are on the right track, but I am not sure what password it wants, I will need to go out and open the app and see what happens ... Stay tuned
PFM (Pure Frikin Magic) with explanation. I go down to the car for about the 10th time and this time the symbol is gone, now I am real puzzled. The last thing I did was asked my wife to go into the vehicle with her key to see if the light was still on and she said yes, what she neglected to tell me was that there was a message that said "something like" key not detected. I have a feeling that something happened to her key and yes it could have been in the cupboard,

What could the cupboard have to do with a key that would cause the light to come on and stay on when someone enters with the other key, why won't it let you lock the car even thought the other key is not in the car and most of all, why is all this occurring if the car is in the driveway and the other key is about seventy five feet away, behind firewalls and inside a purse?

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way NBCGLX, don't know how you saw the markings on the cup board, but good catch 👍

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I suspected it meant the key wasn’t detected! Now, why on earth would that be the case on a brand new key??

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the why might have been solved
1. Wife had used vehicle with her key and laid it on the cupboard after she returned, then took key out and exited vehicle
2. When I went to use vehicle with my key, error appeared because her key was no longer being detected
3. I believe this only happened because she placed the key in the cupboard

Right now that is the only explanation I have for this error and hopefully the last, we will see what happens today. Cupboards are for cups not keys, unless car will not start, then place key in cup board holder.

·
2018 VW Golf GTI Autobahn w/DSG
31 Posts
See the same symbol in the cupholder insert?

View attachment 2493

Yes, you are correct, this is VW's symbol for a smart key that is not detected. If this pops up usually placing the key in the designated spot for the key reader will get the car to detect the key.

FWIW, I learned the hard way with my Golf that if i leave my key near the car they'll constantly try to communicate and drain the key battery. My office is above the garage, and one time I left my key on my desk...walked out to my car the next morning and my door wouldn't unlock so i thought the actual 12v car battery died but my other key worked. I had just replaced the battery in my main key too!

·
103 Posts
I can confirm what GTI_Convert said. We keep our car keys in the mudroom which is off the garage. I noticed that if I lock the ID.4 the red LED on the key is constantly blinking while in the mudroom 15 feet away from the car in the garage. I now just leave the car unlocked.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I can confirm what GTI_Convert said. We keep our car keys in the mudroom which is off the garage. I noticed that if I lock the ID.4 the red LED on the key is constantly blinking while in the mudroom 15 feet away from the car in the garage. I now just leave the car unlocked.
So if you leave the ID.4 unlocked, the constant key-car communication stops? I would think a lot of people have their keys nearby their vehicles at home, especially folks with garages. I mean, we probably keep our keys somewhere along the path to get to our vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
463 Posts
FYI, this is the antenna for the keyless start, clipped to the underside of the cupholder:

I removed and reinstalled that as part of dashcam wiring. I think it contains both the regular KESSY antenna (the ignition would not turn on with it unplugged) as well as a RF tag reading antenna, for when your key battery is low and you need to put the key in the cupholder to start.

·
2018 VW Golf GTI Autobahn w/DSG
31 Posts
So if you leave the ID.4 unlocked, the constant key-car communication stops? I would think a lot of people have their keys nearby their vehicles at home, especially folks with garages. I mean, we probably keep our keys somewhere along the path to get to our vehicles.
I think so, it's a common issue i saw on the Mk7 Golf/GTI Forums. Lots of people complaining their key batteries would last <1 year. The various recommendations i read was to leave the car unlocked, or keep the key away from the car.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I think so, it's a common issue i saw on the Mk7 Golf/GTI Forums. Lots of people complaining their key batteries would last <1 year. The various recommendations i read was to leave the car unlocked, or keep the key away from the car.
Interesting! I guess my keyless access vehicle keys have always been far enough away from my vehicles that I’ve never encountered this. Glad I never put up that key hook in the garage like I kept saying I was going to... 🤣

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just tried removal/installation of RF signal reading antenna and no luck, signal still there. I will let VW mess with it when I go in. By the way, I also have a DashCam, but don't think that has anything to do with it, other than they do use the cup holder to "store" the key while they work..

·
566 Posts
Sometimes those cr2032 or whatever coin cell battery it uses are bunk.
My e-Golf lasted around 1 year before I had to replace my batteries. My previous 3 cars that had similar set-ups lasted 3-4+ years before having to replace.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts