Volkswagen ID Forum banner

EV Car Insurance

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Huey52 
Several EVs later including plug-in EVs (PHEV) and a couple of BEVs (only battery), I have not found USAA insurance rates to be much higher than similar cost gas (ICE) vehicles.

It might be more an issue of purchase price (the Tesla model S starts around $75,000), or perhaps a model more likely to be stolen, or more likely to be driven hard. I doubt the ID.4 would fall into any of those categories. Of course it is a $40k+ car, so insurance will take possible replacement cost into account.

The traction battery (the high voltage battery) has such a long warranty these days, usually at least 8 years, I think it is less of a concern as to insurance.

Some BEVs to ask for quotes on to test rates might be the Hyundai Kona EV and the KIA Niro (both BEVs), but they are both lower cost, say around $37k. The Tesla Model 3 probably insures a bit higher (because of the higher power and maybe a few drive it with a little wild and crazy), but the price is closer to the M3 standard range plus, so quotes on the M3 could be useful too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.