Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
I learned that the 30% U.S. federal tax credit on home and business EV charging station installations expires at the end of 2020. I'm having one installed in a few weeks, even though I don't expect delivery of the ID.4 Pro I reserved until the second half of 2021. The 40 amp level 2 charger I ordered is overkill for my 2012 Prius Plug-in, but that's OK. I suppose the incoming administration could get a tax credit extension passed, but maybe not. About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Proud FE owner
This credit has been extended in the past (retroactively). My bet would be that it would be extended again sometime after the inauguration/when Congress reconvenes.

Reactions: Huey52

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Given the type of year that 2020 has been I would expect the US Federal tax credit to be extended. However I recently installed a ChargePoint, and App-enabled it, just in case.

A nice greenish glow in the garage while I await some useful purpose. ;)

Given the type of year that 2020 has been I would expect the US Federal tax credit to be extended. However I recently installed a ChargePoint, and App-enabled it, just in case.

A nice greenish glow in the garage while I await some useful purpose. ;)
I had a JuiceBox 40 installed for the same reason. I have a purple glow while waiting. 馃槇

Also, anyone planning to install an EVSE should check with their electric utility company. I was able to get a $250 rebate for my installation.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Yes, very good point. Alas in my area only commercial applications (office parking lot, etc.) get a utility company rebate. But many other areas do get a rebate. Check also your State/Commonwealth programs.

Also, anyone planning to install an EVSE should check with their electric utility company. I was able to get a $250 rebate for my installation.

Was anyone successful in getting the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit? My return has been accepted, but not yet received. I am a bit worried since my tax software did not ask for any receipts regarding my evse purchase.

Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Was anyone successful in getting the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit? My return has been accepted, but not yet received. I am a bit worried since my tax software did not ask for any receipts regarding my evse purchase.
It took the IRS 6 weeks to process my electronic return. Form 8911 for the 30% tax credit for my EVSE was accepted with no receipts required.

2021 Pro-S
Charge Point (maker of EV home chargers) states: "
The US Federal Tax Credit gives individuals 30% off a ChargePoint Home Electric Vehicle charging station plus installation costs (up to $1,000). Must purchase and install by December 31, 2021 and claim the credit on your federal tax return." Looks like it is good through 2021.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts