Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

So we are thinking of getting an EVSE while the 30% tax rebate still exists.

It seems that in each thread here, everyone is happy with their charger, that grizzle has the longest warrantee( 5yr), and that smart chargers are really only needed if your power company offers different rates at different times.

That said, we are not leaning towards any brand, although the 5yr warrantee on a grizzle seems nice.

Does anyone know of any EVSE deals / coupons for black Friday (or otherwise).

Thanks!

3 years. I ilke their app, its very simple yet full features and you can connect to see how its charging and set schedule over wifi with any device thats got a browser. Its a copy of openEVSE who has sold >20,000 units and it has advanced over the years of open source hardware and software. Or you can treat it like a dumb charger and set the charge rate with dip switches.

Reactions: daikon

Super Moderator
Check with your utility. Here on LI, PSEG offered a $500 rebate on a JuiceBox. I paid $192 delivered and I am very happy with it.

My advice.
Stay away from cheap Chinese knockoffs from places like Amazon just to save a buck.
Name brands with 3-5 year warranty that you can trust can be had for several hundred dollars more and a peace of mind.
Great point and wise advice. EVSEs will be delivering and managing high levels of continuous current to your expensive EV from your even more expensive house or building. Why cheap out to save a couple of hundred bucks if it means putting these other things at higher risk?

By the way, the EVSE unit as a whole should have a "UL Listed" stamp on it if you want to be sure it has actually been tested and certified that it meets whatever specifications it's claiming to meet. Many of the Amazon sellers are pretty shifty and say stuff like "Contains UL components," which while probably technically accurate is obviously meant to give buyers the impression that the unit has been tested and certified by UL. The warranty is a good tip-off; they should be offering 3-5 years 鈥 I've seen some of those portable EVSEs only offering 6-month warranties (and even then, ask yourself how you'll deal with a company in China if you have a warranty claim).

When my electrician was here wiring up the circuit for my Clipper Creek EVSE, he told me that he was required to install only equipment that has been certified by UL ("UL Listed") or Intertek.

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.

No incentives or rebates from the power company here.

I am not looking for a cheap no name, but appreciate the advice there as well.

I was more wondering if a known name, clipper, grizzle, juice box, etc was having a significant black Friday sale/ discount.

Thank you all though.

The Goplug is CSA listed, which counts as UL for both Canada and US. I guess the cheap models you are referring to that are not listed are Jekyala, Couplago, BougeRV, Zencar, Duosida. The OpenEVSE is not UL since you assemble it yourself from parts.

Reactions: daikon

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Goplug is CSA listed, which counts as UL for both Canada and US. I guess the cheap models you are referring to that are not listed are Jekyala, Couplago, BougeRV, Zencar, Duosida. The OpenEVSE is not UL since you assemble it yourself from parts.
Thanks SunWizard. Had no idea what CSA was. Thank you!

Today I get a link to 20% off Juicebox chargers appearing on top of this forum (but many are out of stock):

1 - 13 of 13 Posts