Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed my Grizzl-E 40 amp EVSE. Installation was simple. The Grizzl-E is made in Canada and seems like a very well made unit. The electronics are housed in a substantial aluminum box. It has a 24 foot cord. Amps can be set anywhere from 16 to 40. It comes set on 40. I bought this way before my ID4 will arrive because Amazon had a few marked down $100.

Attachments

·
26 Posts
Nice!! Wait how much did it end up being? i'm also needed an EVSE soon. Mind sharing the link?

·
34 Posts
Yeah my ID.4 will be late this year as I ordered the AWD. I have my eyes on the Grizzl E and the Charge Point. I wish Grizzl E would release their Wi-Fi version to see how it does. I am leaning toward the Grizzl E.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
963 Posts
My self-install is a little challenging. My garage is detached, and only has a 60A subpanel, which supplies an air compressor and a small water heater. I decided it best to run a dedicated new 50A service from the distribution panel, and this would allow me to charge both cars simultaneously. Yesterday I opened 6 feet of concrete to bury the conduit, today I cored a 14 inch deep hole in curb at the base of the fence to bring the conduit back up to the surface. I'll surface run it along that curb into the back wall of the garage, and finally I've got to open up about 30 feet of drywall to get it around to the front side of the garage.

Just for giggles, I tried L2 charging the ID.4 with the 240 volt / 16 Amp Duosida EVSE that I use daily with my 28kWh BMW i3, and saw a measly gain of 4% per hour (in the i3, it gives me 10% per hour). 4% per hour would actually be fine for overnight charging on most days, but I've been putting off this service upgrade long enough. With the 40 Amp EVSE that I've had collecting dust on the shelf for the past 6 months, I'm expecting just shy of 12% per hour.

But heck yeah -- self-install is the way to go! :D

·
115 Posts
Today I installed my Grizzl-E 40 amp EVSE. Installation was simple. The Grizzl-E is made in Canada and seems like a very well made unit. The electronics are housed in a substantial aluminum box. It has a 24 foot cord. Amps can be set anywhere from 16 to 40. It comes set on 40. I bought this way before my ID4 will arrive because Amazon had a few marked down $100.
NICE! I have the Grizzl-E as well. My wife is using it on her Q5e while I wait on my AWD comes in. Shipped from the company set at 24A (I have a 30A circuit).

·
Reserved a 2021 ID.4 RWD Pro S Gradient Kings Red
23 Posts
I installed my Grizzl-E Avalanche Edition (white box, black cables) this weekend, and it was straightforward. The only issue I had was after unboxing and touching the cables, it left a residue on my hands that got all over the white case. It looked like the cops had dusted for prints. They were a pain in the ass to clean off. Soap and water didn’t work, Formula 409 barely made a dent. I broke out the rubbing alcohol and a big can of elbow grease to go to work on it. After 30 minutes, if I looked hard enough, I could still see slight hints of my prints. If you buy the same set up, the first thing you should do BEFORE unbagging the control box, is wipe down the cable 2-3 times with a rag soaked with rubbing alcohol.

·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed my Grizzl-E Avalanche Edition (white box, black cables) this weekend, and it was straightforward. The only issue I had was after unboxing and touching the cables, it left a residue on my hands that got all over the white case. It looked like the cops had dusted for prints. They were a pain in the ass to clean off. Soap and water didn’t work, Formula 409 barely made a dent. I broke out the rubbing alcohol and a big can of elbow grease to go to work on it. After 30 minutes, if I looked hard enough, I could still see slight hints of my prints. If you buy the same set up, the first thing you should do BEFORE unbagging the control box, is wipe down the cable 2-3 times with a rag soaked with rubbing alcohol.
What a bummer with the cables. Did not have that experience with mine; gray box with black cables.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
134 Posts
Same here, no noticeable residue - but my case and wires are also black (chosen to hide dirt and grime over time). Glad you got your installed though. Mine has been flawless.

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
Love mine too. Might upgrade it to a smart version when the daughterboard is available for purchase. I'm told it will be.

·
564 Posts
The HomeStation is part of Electrify America's home-charging business, dubbed Electrify Home, announced in 2020. The station itself was announced earlier this year, but is only now going on sale through Electrify Home's website or Amazon, priced at $649, Electrify America announced Tuesday in a press release.

Electrify America’s Level 2 home charger is now available, with the Electrify Home HomeStation promising smoother synchronization with your public charging along with smart power management. Capable of up to 9.6 kW it’s the company’s fastest home charger, and though while that still means you won’t get the sort of DC fast charging rates you’d see Electrify America’s public locations, it’s still faster than many rivals.
Does the forum have an opinion on the EA HomeStation? Who's going to be the first beta tester? How does the price compare to other established home L2 chargers?

·
216 Posts
Does the forum have an opinion on the EA HomeStation? Who's going to be the first beta tester? How does the price compare to other established home L2 chargers?
It is pretty much inline with the cost of similar "smart" type chargers but I haven't seen or heard of any delivered yet. It is currently (already) listed as out of stock which is true of most smart chargers on the market. The unit that has my attention (and my preorder) is the Alpha from United Chargers which should start to ship next week but is currently at $600 for preorders then $700 once it releases.

·
10 Posts
It is pretty much inline with the cost of similar "smart" type chargers but I haven't seen or heard of any delivered yet. It is currently (already) listed as out of stock which is true of most smart chargers on the market. The unit that has my attention (and my preorder) is the Alpha from United Chargers which should start to ship next week but is currently at $600 for preorders then $700 once it releases.
I ordered the EA HomeStation last week when it was announced in this forum that they were available, and it was delivered today. Apparently they're already sold out. As soon as I get it installed and figured out I'll post a report here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts