Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am still acclimating myself to different traffic conditions and types of roads. I don't think I'll ever truly trust it even in very light traffic.
I have found it useless on unlined back roads or urban and suburban streets, IMO.
Drivers who cut in front of me because I'm safely driving make the car "jump" to meet my settings. Man that really frosts me.

I like the pedestal display.

Add your images and experiences.
BTW, back up cam and auto brake has saved me twice. Once from a guy speeding in a parking lot and I was between two large SUVs. Once kept me from not paying attention and backing into my garage door 馃槷.

From the top of the screen...

Lane Assist: A fine idea. But, it's not just useless, but dangerous. There is a road I drive on where one lane splits into two, and there are tar-filled gaps in the concrete that run sort-of along the lanes of traffic. My car tried to "assist" me into a collusion with another car because it was trying to follow those lines. This might be a Texas thing, but this is quite common. I'd love to be able to turn this off permanently.

ACC/ Adaptive Cruise Control: Pretty nice when it's on, particularly on the freeway which is it's primary design function. I love to get behind a semi at 65-70 and as close as the ACC will follow. Set the ACC to 72 or so so it'll always keep up, turn on the Travel Assist...and relax while the car does the drudgery. You just have to watch for idiots and hazards, but the truck drivers are professionals and do a great job. It'd be great if the distance could be cut a bit; I'd like it to be 2/3 or even 1/2 the distance for efficiency - but that's a liability no manufacturer will take.

Like my previous car, ACC doesn't do well when traffic in front slows to a stop from anything over 10-15MPH, so you've gotta watch that and get ahead of it. Previous car would "see" a stopped car in front of me when I was pulling up behind them. This car won't see that car unless it was already "on the screen" if you will. It's aggravating to pull up behind a car at a light and have to wait to start ACC until I stop. Previous car would let me do this below 10MPH or so every time and bring the car to a smooth stop. First world problem, I know.

On the plus side, I love the ability to preselect speeds for ACC. If the buttons weren't the dorky haptic ones, this would be drop-dead simple and useful. I frequently attempt to preselect a speed for the next segment, and will hit the wrong button and engage Travel Assist at the current speed. Invariably, this is about 20MPH below the speed limit for the current road, so when I hit "Resume" and let off the accelerator it's already on and immediately slows to the selected speed. Not cool in traffic, and nothing but a product of the haptic buttons. As it stands now, the speed selection buttons and preselection are distracting and I can't decide if it's a good thing or a hindrance as implemented. Two steps forward, one step back...

I've had the ACC do a dangerous thing twice now, I'm working on reproducing the problem. Stop at a light, set a speed and ACC on so it holds the brakes. When the light turns green, poke at the accelerator twice in quick succession - and the car hard stops and switches to park from about 5MPH with no cars in front. Not cool in front of a line of traffic. There's something else that's part of the trigger for this, I just haven't figured it out. Might be me tapping a button on the steering wheel...but of course that's hard to tell because of the haptic buttons.

Lane Change System (Side Assist): It's saved my bacon once. I find it far too easy to ignore the lights...but I don't have a way to improve that unless you make the entire mirror flash, or put a ring around it. The real issue is the lights flash so often they fade into the background.

Dynamic Road Sign Display: In the US, it's just worthless. I have it displayed with no warnings, but because of completely inconsistent signage it's like a box of chocolates.

Front Assist: I haven't had it use the brakes yet - but I'm glad it's there. Previous car had it, and it kicked in a few times. Nice. I have gotten multiple warnings. It's a bit oversensitive, but it's infrequent enough that it doesn't get ignored.

Back-up camera and assistance: 10 years ago I'd have poo-poohed this, but it's great. I love getting the warnings that someone is coming, which can occasionally be hard to see in the screen. And being able to see when you're backing out is priceless. Yes, there are some night-time issues (I'm going to play with covering my white license plate and/or the license plate lights soon) but this is good stuff. Also, I back in almost every time. Putting the rear bumper right on the spot every time is excellent.

I really do like the display of these systems on the pedestal / above the steering column. In fact, that's one of the things that drew me to this car and away from Tesla. If you can't see what they automation is doing, you're not safe.

Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your experiences and results are like mine and I agree with your conclusions. And thanks for all that information.
I'd like to add that where a road widens to accommodate a left hand turn lane occasionally my car tries to turn into that left lane. Since I have learned that "feature", I'm constantly watching out for that situation.
I've sometimes had the the side assist warn me from a guard rail on the right and a Jersey barrier on the left.

Blue VW ID4 Pro S Gradient
I have been playing the TACC (Travel Assist Cruise Control) going to and from work on the NJ Parkway and Turnpike over the past few days. I think it works well but the driver is still in charge - it does not like people who cut in-front of you and it is within the distance you set for the car in front of you. It slows down quite a bit below your set speed and slowly re-accelerates to your set speed. I am assuming the brake lights are being applied when that happens. I also notice it appears to still want to control the steering a little bit - I can feel the wheel adjust occasionally even if the car is between the lines and I have my hands on the wheel, which I always do. I tried to test by taking hands off and within 5 seconds a message displayed to take the wheel. If traffic stops the car will also come to a complete stop but wont start back up unless you put your foot on the accelerator to start moving. I am still learning to trust the systems to see how and how well they work.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jersey barrier, I've never heard that term before. New word for today.
It's a common (east coast) term (to me) for those concrete barriers that are used to line highways, semi permanent road blocks and safety barriers in construction zones, etc.
No offense to New Jersey, just a lot of them used there.
To me it's a jargon thing. Like I call interstate 95, I95 not "the I95". Whereas, I've come to understand that west coast and other western states refer to highways as "the I5" or "the I405". I've heard ID give directions as "the I70" and smiled馃檭.

Blue Dusk 1st Edition ID.4
I am still acclimating myself to different traffic conditions and types of roads. I don't think I'll ever truly trust it even in very light traffic.
I have found it useless on unlined back roads or urban and suburban streets, IMO.
Drivers who cut in front of me because I'm safely driving make the car "jump" to meet my settings. Man that really frosts me.
View attachment 3394

I like the pedestal display.
View attachment 3396

Add your images and experiences.
BTW, back up cam and auto brake has saved me twice. Once from a guy speeding in a parking lot and I was between two large SUVs. Once kept me from not paying attention and backing into my garage door 馃槷.
Lane Assist is a pain. I am pleased with ACC and Travel Assist so far.

A question, what generates the "ghost" vehicles in the left lane in the screenshot above. My displays only cars directly ahead of me.

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lane Assist is a pain. I am pleased with ACC and Travel Assist so far.

A question, what generates the "ghost" vehicles in the left lane in the screenshot above. My displays only cars directly ahead of me.
Use the view button on the right spoke to select one of 3 different views. Don't feel bad, took me 3 weeks to discover that view 馃槀馃ぃ馃檮

Blue Dusk 1st Edition ID.4
Use the view button on the right spoke to select one of 3 different views. Don't feel bad, took me 3 weeks to discover that view 馃槀馃ぃ馃檮
I thought I had messed with that but I'll give it another go. Thanks!

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
It doesn't show the adjacent lanes all of the time, however. It is unclear what factors determine whether the lanes are displayed. Could be contrast between lane markings and lanes. Could be other factors.

I have been playing the TACC (Travel Assist Cruise Control) going to and from work on the NJ Parkway and Turnpike over the past few days. ...it appears to still want to control the steering a little bit - I can feel the wheel adjust occasionally even if the car is between the lines and I have my hands on the wheel, which I always do.
Travel Assist - the button on the bottom right of the control pad - does control steering and will actively attempt to steer you into the center of the lane. This even works for mild curves in the road. When you engage Travel Assist the ACC will also engage at current speed or current set speed if there is one. This is lovely on a well-marked freeway.

Lane Keeping - always active and must be turned off in the screen - only attempts to warn you that you're approaching the edge of a lane and eventually steer you back towards it. It will disable for a few seconds if you use your turn signal for a lane change.

Dusk Blue FE
Like many things in life, if someone asks how you like the IQ features on the car, your response should be, "Compared to what?" Those of us who have never used these features before are comparing the features to cars without them. I have had two cars with similar features, so I compare the ID.4 to those cars. (My prior cars were a Chevy Bolt and a Subaru Outback with Eyesight.)

I find the ACC is pretty well sorted-out: smooth and mostly predictable. On the both prior cars, I found that the camera could lose sight of the leading car in a curve. That is a problem when (for instance) you have the ACC set to 55 but traffic has been going 45, and then at a curve in the road, traffic ahead slows even further. If your ACC system loses sight of the car ahead, it may quickly accelerate to your set speed, which is not a good idea on a slow curve. I think the ID.4 keeps a lock on the car ahead better than the Subaru but, because I am aware of the risk, I try not to give the car the opportunity to screw up. I either have a finger poised over the off button, or I reduce the ACC set speed before I get to an area where I expect a slowdown.

I think Travel Assist and Lane Keep Assist do reasonably good job but they are not doing my job, which is steering. The Subaru beeped incessantly when you go close to a lane line, making my passengers uncomfortable. (The system could be turned off but the volume could not be adjusted.) The steering shake on the ID4 is immensely better. Also, the Subaru was eaily fooled by painted-over lane lines or other patches on the pavement. Yes, the ID.4 is confused by lanes that widen or split but, once you are aware of the behavior, it becomes a minor (and non0threatening) annoyance. I find myself tightening my grip on the wheel when I approach a potentially confusing road configuration.

I'm not in a hurry to find out how well Front Assist works, but I have already seen that it makes the same mistake that my Subaru and Bolt made. (To be honest, it's not a "mistake," it's a "behavior.") When I am following a car and the car ahead begins to slow and signal a turn, my vehicle does not "know" about the turn. It only "knows" that, at the present closing rate, and with no brake activity, I will hit that obstacle. For my part, I may have lifted off the accelerator, but I have not touched the brake because I can see that the car will turn out of my lane before I hit it. Only once have I had a car (the Bolt, not the ID.4) actually hit the brakes in this situation, but I have frequently had my car give the audible warning and flash a red light. Again, since I know the limitations of the cars' "logic," I am not troubled by this.

I think the Blind Spot Monitor ("Side Assist") works about as well as the systems in my prior cars, but the ID.4 has one significant advantage -- visibility of the alert light. On the Subie and Bolt (and on many cars), the warning light is a dime-size light built into the side view mirror face. Because the mirror itself is bright, the yellow warning light in not very noticeable in daylight. The ID.4 has a much larger amber light that is set against the dark face of the mirror housing, so it is easier to see. I like.

2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
In my experience, it will show up only when Travel Assist is activated, you expand the left pane in the driver screen, AND you are driving on some sort of "proper" freeway or highway. It doesn't seem to show up if I'm driving on a non-highway, even if it's a really well marked, 3+ lane road.

There may be other factors that play into it, but these 3 factors are the ones I've observed.

Please can we bare in mind that all of these functions are assists. The driver must be in control at all times. If you see a hazard in front or the road layout changes you need to act before the vehicle gets to it.

All of these assists will only get better with time.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
I finally understand what enables this. There is a section of road where part of it shows the vehicles in the adjacent lanes, and part of the road doesn't. As I would travel North, there was a spot where the ghosts would suddenly appear, and if I was travelling South, they would disappear. I discovered this while driving on the road with the builtin navi turned on, and watching to see where I was when the ghost vehicles in the adjacent lanes appear. There seem to be two factors at play here.

The main one is that if you have the builtin navi displaying the map, the vehicles in adjacent lanes only display if you are on what it thinks is a limited-access highway (light purple in color). If you are on any other type of road (yellow in color), you get nothing in the adjacent lanes. It doesn't really matter much if you are on a 4-lane road with a barrier in the middle - you need to be on something the navi thinks is limited-access. I don't think it matters if you have the builtin navi actually displaying anywhere or not - I didn't really experiment with that, but for me

You also need to have Travel Assist turned on - if that's off, then I was getting nothing in the adjacent lanes.

Wouldn鈥檛 it be nice if the manual, written by lawyers instead of car people, had accessible information instead of endless superfluous warnings? I鈥檝e given up on the manual. Can鈥檛 find anything. A thorough index would help but that鈥檚 a dream.

Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wouldn鈥檛 it be nice if the manual, written by lawyers instead of car people, had accessible information instead of endless superfluous warnings? I鈥檝e given up on the manual. Can鈥檛 find anything. A thorough index would help but that鈥檚 a dream.
The manual is sooo light on substance and sooo heavy on warnings 馃槚.
One recurring theme, return to your dealership for any problems, repairs, or anything.
Warning, warning, warning, go to your dealership; that might be repeated over 500 times, sheesh already 馃檮.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts