Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no experience to date with pure-electric vehicles and was just curious of those who do what additional tools (to include OBDII-access type) you're considering to load aboard your ID.4? Or perhaps given an electric's far less moving parts/maintenance I need to lean my thinking here as well. ;)

·
5 Posts
I bought a new Chevy Volt in late 2011. Yes, it has a gas engine, but it is rarely used - only about 3000 miles on gas. So, my car is electric. The only tools I've added are a spare tire and the tools for changing and patching tires. That is all I have needed.

·
2021 AWD ID4
31 Posts
I have always carried a small set of tools with all my cars. I carry a needle nose pliers, screw driver, vise grips, silicone fuse tape, multi-meter, etc. I am new to EVs and maybe it is not necessary. Having grown up on aircooled VW's I never went anywhere without a decent kit of tools. I am curious if anyone else carries a tool kit and what you have in it???

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,707 Posts
I have always carried a small set of tools with all my cars. I carry a needle nose pliers, screw driver, vise grips, silicone fuse tape, multi-meter, etc. I am new to EVs and maybe it is not necessary. Having grown up on aircooled VW's I never went anywhere without a decent kit of tools. I am curious if anyone else carries a tool kit and what you have in it???
I would feel naked to go out without at least some tools.

The problem with multimeters is that they have small batteries (usually 9V), and if that goes bad, the multimeter is useless. If the thing sits for a few years without being used you might not know until it is too late.

·
614 Posts
I would feel naked to go out without at least some tools.

The problem with multimeters is that they have small batteries (usually 9V), and if that goes bad, the multimeter is useless. If the thing sits for a few years without being used you might not know until it is too late.
I also carry a multimeter and the battery last for a long time if not left on. I also carry a Makita battery powered impact tool to remove wheel lugs in case I have to use my spare tire. I also carry a small assortment of tools in a small bag. Also have a fire extinguisher, some hand soap and few rags and towels for washing car when away from home, some bungie cords and a a tow strap. All of these things fit under the deck in the rear. Every few months I check the spare tire pressure, and the condition of the two batteries.

·
2021 AWD ID4
31 Posts
I also carry a multimeter and the battery last for a long time if not left on. I also carry a Makita battery powered impact tool to remove wheel lugs in case I have to use my spare tire. I also carry a small assortment of tools in a small bag. Also have a fire extinguisher, some hand soap and few rags and towels for washing car when away from home, some bungie cords and a a tow strap. All of these things fit under the deck in the rear. Every few months I check the spare tire pressure, and the condition of the two batteries.
Spare Tire??? Can you elaborate? Did you buy a spare tire? Did it magically appear? How did you work that out?:)

·
614 Posts
Spare Tire??? Can you elaborate? Did you buy a spare tire? Did it magically appear? How did you work that out?:)
Right after I got the ID4 I bought a VW space saver spare on Ebay. 19" INCH STEEL SPARE WHEEL 4H0601027B AUDI A8 S8 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 5X112. Then I added 2" to the channel on each side of cargo area. That added enough room for the spare. Have gone on several trips with cargo and have not noticed the small loss of space.

·
97 Posts
Right after I got the ID4 I bought a VW space saver spare on Ebay. 19" INCH STEEL SPARE WHEEL 4H0601027B AUDI A8 S8 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 5X112. Then I added 2" to the channel on each side of cargo area. That added enough room for the spare. Have gone on several trips with cargo and have not noticed the small loss of space.
Could you post a pic of what you did? I'm confused where you said you added 2" on each side. Just trying to understand what you meant.
I might like to do this with my ID4, and would like to copy your setup for the spare tire.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post #97: Spare tire
More in line with this old thread title, I now have some extra items in my foam tool pack, notably small socket wrench and sockets for 12V battery/strut removal.
I also have the VW EV emergency kit with some added hand tools e.g. linesman pliers, ratcheting screwdriver, etc.
Also an 18" breaker bar with adapter and sockets for security & regular lug bolts.
Plus an Audi hand me down first aid kit and a new small Halon fire extinguisher in the passenger door well.
And a VWAG warning triangle in the hatch recess.
Still haven't acquired a newer APP-accessed OBDII tool, although I have an older VWAG reader device.
No spare tire for me either but I do have a patch kit aboard and longtime AAA membership.
Bumper Automotive design Font Automotive exterior Door
Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Window Auto part

·
614 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for the pics!

Did you get the jack and tire wrench separately? Also ebay? Or somewhere else?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I had a new jack and I am using a Makita wireless 1/2" impact with a lug socket for a tire wrench. The foam container inside the wheel was from another vehicle. I don't think the spare had ever been on the road.

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
297 Posts
Wish the Pro (base model) has the two level storage... would be perfect for putting that spare tire (still haven't purchased one yet...).

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Note that members have installed additional mounts to raise the false floor even higher to afford space underneath for a spare. The FE/Pro S upper floor position from the factory is not high enough to do so even with the skinniest of spare tire.

Again: Post #97: Spare tire
Wish the Pro (base model) has the two level storage... would be perfect for putting that spare tire (still haven't purchased one yet...).

·
346 Posts
All of our cars have a tire plug kit and a pair of pliers that can grip a a nail or screw to remove the object.

·
371 Posts
Telephone number of the VW ID service.
With every problem, flat tire, they come on site for repair or tow to the dealer.
Is a service department here in Belgium that only perform services for ID models.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a full size spare in my 2013 Audi allroad that similarly accordion-folded for amazingly compressed storage. Great space saving yet full size design but once used I doubt it could be re-folded.

Although I've side of the road changed wheels since I was 12 years old (first when alone with my mother) and carry plug kits, tools, etc. in my vehicles, my go-to these days would be the VW or AAA flatbed, despite the potential loss of time. There's just too much traffic on the roads these days to safely change a tire imho. Deploy my aftermarket warning triangle, step well off to the side of the road, then make the call.
Here's another space saver spare idea that seems to be in some European cars. Basically a tire that folds down into itself to take up less space until you inflate it.
Porsche uses one like that in the suv. It’s a funny looking thing till it fills up.

·
371 Posts
I had a full size spare in my 2013 Audi allroad that similarly accordion-folded for amazingly compressed storage. Great space saving yet full size design but once used I doubt it could be re-folded.

Although I've side of the road changed wheels since I was 12 years old (first when alone with my mother) and carry plug kits, tools, etc. in my vehicles, my go-to these days would be the VW or AAA flatbed, despite the potential loss of time. There's just too much traffic on the roads these days to safely change a tire imho. Deploy my aftermarket warning triangle, step well off to the side of the road, then make the call.
I'll regret saying this, but in my 36 years of riding history I've never had a flat tire or got stranded.
36 years only vw.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts