Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With only 3200 miles, my AWD iD4 would not shift out of park. After consultation with factory technicians and review of diagnostic codes, the dealer advised that the front drive motor had failed. The fact that they are “Out of stock” with a 1-2 month lead seems to indicate a widespread failure. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,760 Posts
The fact that they are “Out of stock” with a 1-2 month lead seems to indicate a widespread failure. Has anyone else experienced this?
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you got this problem so quickly. It could also mean that its such a rare problem that they don't stock them. I read 1 other person here that had a problem with the front motor or inverter.

·
"Einstein" - 2021 ID.4 AWD Pro S, Scale Silver
228 Posts
With only 3200 miles, my AWD iD4 would not shift out of park. After consultation with factory technicians and review of diagnostic codes, the dealer advised that the front drive motor had failed. The fact that they are “Out of stock” with a 1-2 month lead seems to indicate a widespread failure. Has anyone else experienced this?
5K miles on my AWD and no problems.

·
2 Posts
Yes, I have experienced this. I was told on April 4th that my AWD ProS with 1000 miles on it needs a new front motor. I was given an ETA of May 9th at the time, but now VW doesn't seem to have an ETA.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have experienced this. I was told on April 4th that my AWD ProS with 1000 miles on it needs a new front motor. I was given an ETA of May 9th at the time, but now VW doesn't seem to have an ETA.
I’m guessing no ETA means their inventory is all of the same defective design and they haven’t sourced a reliable replacement. I’m tempted to go for a buyback, despite waiting a year and a half to get it and having my first vehicle sold out from under me by a greedy dealer.

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
919 Posts
I’m guessing no ETA means their inventory is all of the same defective design and they haven’t sourced a reliable replacement. I’m tempted to go for a buyback, despite waiting a year and a half to get it and having my first vehicle sold out from under me by a greedy dealer.
That's a rather unfounded guess during a global logistics crisis and with very few reports of failures - I would sit on the fence for a bit and cool it.

·
73 Posts
With only 3200 miles, my AWD iD4 would not shift out of park. After consultation with factory technicians and review of diagnostic codes, the dealer advised that the front drive motor had failed.
Hearing this is disappointing. While I don't have an AWD given how Tesla handles their motors I would have hoped it would be similar. My understanding with Tesla is if you have a dual motor car and one of them fails it is able to continue with the single motor. It was one of the advantages I always saw with the dual motor cars. Here's hoping that this is something that they can address in a software update.

·
6 Posts
Regrettable yes, I purchased my AWD Pro S on 9 February 2022. On 19 April, I observed multiple warning lights to include fault in electrical system, fault in electrical drive system and reduced driving power seconds before a loss of propulsion. I had the car towed to the dealership where they determined that the front motor and the controller need to be replaced.
This is my second issue, on 1 April an electrical system not working properly light led to the replacement of the heater element.

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
919 Posts
Regrettable yes, I purchased my AWD Pro S on 9 February 2022. On 19 April, I observed multiple warning lights to include fault in electrical system, fault in electrical drive system and reduced driving power seconds before a loss of propulsion. I had the car towed to the dealership where they determined that the front motor and the controller need to be replaced.
This is my second issue, on 1 April an electrical system not working properly light led to the replacement of the heater element.
Are the US AWDs still running 2.1?

Might explain the discrepancy between US and EU experiences with the front motor.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two weeks in, no signs of a replacement motor and no ETA. I’ve started the buyback process after having August delivery confirmed for a Suburu Solterra. I took delivery of my first Volkswagen (a Scirocco) at the factory in 1977, and owned dozens of VW’s, Porsche’s and Audis in the interim. One loyal customer lost!

·
77 Posts
Two weeks in, no signs of a replacement motor and no ETA. I’ve started the buyback process after having August delivery confirmed for a Suburu Solterra. I took delivery of my first Volkswagen (a Scirocco) at the factory in 1977, and owned dozens of VW’s, Porsche’s and Audis in the interim. One loyal customer lost!
Ah, another Solterran. I have an August delivery, too, but am keeping the AWD ID.4 order active just in case. The ID.4 remains one of the best cars I've driven, and feature-by-feature it's a better value than the Solterra. That being said, an EV in the driveway is a better value than an EV Yet to be Built.

·
4 Posts
Got my Pro S AWD back in March and it shows electrical system not working correctly message several times within the first month of driving. And the dealer confirm it needs front motor replacement, lead time for the part is around 2 weeks...

Just pickup the loaner 2021 Tiguan S, back to ICE...lol

·
1 Posts
My ID.4 AWD Pro S was less than 2 months old when I hit a pothole in a parking lot. No damage to the car, but the thump caused error messages that came and went and one time the car wouldn't start. It has been at the dealer since March 30. They determined that the front computer wasn't communicating with the main computer, so they need to replace the front computer. The problem is the front computer is a sealed part of the front motor, so they need to replace the front motor. Motor was ordered 3/30 and they tell me it arrived the week of 4/25 (approx. one month). Car is supposed to be fixed right about now (5/3). I'll let you know when I get it back. If you have an issue with the front computer, which I assume is a printed circuit board and you need to replace the front motor, I can see why it's hard to get a front motor, and I'm concerned what effect it will have on the car.

·
6 Posts
My ID.4 AWD Pro S was less than 2 months old when I hit a pothole in a parking lot. No damage to the car, but the thump caused error messages that came and went and one time the car wouldn't start. It has been at the dealer since March 30. They determined that the front computer wasn't communicating with the main computer, so they need to replace the front computer. The problem is the front computer is a sealed part of the front motor, so they need to replace the front motor. Motor was ordered 3/30 and they tell me it arrived the week of 4/25 (approx. one month). Car is supposed to be fixed right about now (5/3). I'll let you know when I get it back. If you have an issue with the front computer, which I assume is a printed circuit board and you need to replace the front motor, I can see why it's hard to get a front motor, and I'm concerned what effect it will have on the car.
All is well, front motor was replaced and I drove it home on 5 May 2022. We still love the ID4 despite the setbacks and hope the promised software updates will be available soon.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts