Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2021 First Edition
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The bottom line - it charges as promised. Even on a 40 degree (5C) day, it did 5% to 80% in 38 minutes. The first 100 miles was added in 16 minutes.

Sounds good enough for me and my road trips.

Full article here:

·
45 Posts
These are some nice results, especially in light of the negatives related to EA's difficult connection with (their own parent company's) ID4. The highway range test is VERY promising, I am moving to an area in NJ in which I will be having to drive about 25 out of 30 miles on the highway for my commute. I was worried about the lack of efficiency for the vehicle, but I'm feeling better with this result.

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
Even on a 40 degree (5C) day, it did 5% to 80% in 38 minutes. The first 100 miles was added in 16 minutes.

Sounds good enough for me and my road trips.

Full article here:

2% to 80% in 38 minutes. Only pointing out the correction because it's better than what VW is advertising!

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,336 Posts
2% to 80% in 38 minutes. Only pointing out the correction because it's better than what VW is advertising!
I am excited about these two new data points:
230/234 miles range in 40 degree weather at 70 mph. (Chargeway would tell you to expect 182 miles, based on whatever formula they apply.)
2% - 80% charge in 38 minutes.
Both demonstrate that VW underpromised and overdelivers, the first one especially.

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
I am excited about these two new data points:
230/234 miles range in 40 degree weather at 70 mph. (Chargeway would tell you to expect 182 miles, based on whatever formula they apply.)
2% - 80% charge in 38 minutes.
Both demonstrate that VW underpromised and overdelivers, the first one especially.
Agreed!

·
51 Posts
I thought it was interesting that the cost of charging at Electrify America was rather expensive.(About $20.00 for 200 miles)
If you had an ice car like a Honda CR-V that got about 30 mpg on the highway and at $3.00/gal, it would also cost about $20.00 for 200 miles.
The real savings is free charging at Electrify America for 3 years with an ID.4.
Also, it should be much cheaper to charge at home.

·
597 Posts
Oh no, more math.

Using the video, he had charged about 65 kwh at $20.00 for about 200 miles.

If your electric rate at home is $0.15/kwh, then the cost is $9.75 for a 200 mile trip.
DC Fast Charging isn't cheap and really is only required when travel to your destination. Here in the Northeast there seems to be a far amount of free charging stations around. My current hometown in Massachusetts and my original hometown in New Hampshire both have free level 2 charging.

When I was trying to justify buying my e-Golf I figured I was going to save around $60 a month of gas/energy over my 36-38 MPG Civic Liftback.

·
27 Posts
Hmm I've done three tests so far and not been able to replicate this regardless of whether I was sitting at a 150 or 350kW charger. In each case I started at 25-20% SOC at 20deg C (72ish F), at 25% SOC I saw 102kW, but typically at 30% SOC I'm only at 90-91kW, drops of fairly quickly to about 80kW at 40-50% SOC, 58kW at 65% SOC-80%SOC, above 80% around 37kW. I wonder if the higher results are due to the lower NE temperatures. I would have guessed that any claim from VW would be done at STP so 20deg C and in that case I have always seen slower charging speeds and fairly long authorization times at EA sites.

·
2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
294 Posts
DC Fast Charging isn't cheap and really is only required when travel to your destination. Here in the Northeast there seems to be a far amount of free charging stations around. My current hometown in Massachusetts and my original hometown in New Hampshire both have free level 2 charging.

When I was trying to justify buying my e-Golf I figured I was going to save around $60 a month of gas/energy over my 36-38 MPG Civic Liftback.
Yea, it’s totally a convenience thing when it comes to DCFC. Just like gas is higher directly off of the interstate or milk is higher at the 7-11 than at the grocery store. I will save enough during normal driving that it won’t bother me for the occasional long haul trip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.