Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skoda officially confirmed that the Enyaq (their version of the ID4) will get faster DC charing via an OTA update later this year. They didn't sey by how much or when, but did confirm the same update will be made available for all existing ID4, ID3 and Q4 e-tron cars as well.

TeslaBjorn suggested in several videos that the update will enable 170 kW DC fast charging, which is still very conservative (~2C)

·
88 Posts
Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring talked to Dustin Krause, Director of e-Mobility for VW. Dustin also seemed to state that the US ID4 would be getting faster charging speeds. He also mentioned that Auto Break Hold may be added via software update, as well as others, though made no promises. It is an interesting video to watch, both for that and that Dustin explains what VW America is trying to do with the ID4, leading to the choices they made in terms of what features would be added to the US models.

·
2 Posts
I thought the max charge rate was a hardware limit? Unless it has a higher hardware rating currently limited to 125kW by the software. I might have expected the charge curves to be improved within the capped 125 limit first - they'll have been harvesting a lot of data from US & European network users recently.

·
196 Posts
Sometimes I wish I could slow the charge down so I had enough time for a meal. 30 min or maybe 20 min is nice but it kinda in that Grey zone of too much time to sit but not enough to do something else. Since I’m only fast charging on road trips I usually get drive thru so the charge time will make me fat. 😬

·
88 Posts
I thought the max charge rate was a hardware limit? Unless it has a higher hardware rating currently limited to 125kW by the software. I might have expected the charge curves to be improved within the capped 125 limit first - they'll have been harvesting a lot of data from US & European network users recently.
My understanding is the ID.4, at least the 77 Kw version, can charge at up to at least 150 Kw and possibly at 175 Kw, but that VW has limited them to 125Kw in software.

·
231 Posts
I personally don’t think that the larger starting charge rates will change that much (maybe 5 minutes?) on the overall charging time. Simply because the curve will start dropping quicker. So I’d assume that with 170kw it would only charge at that speed for the first 10% or so, and then already drop off.

·
47 Posts
I agree with you about the top end, but there may be improvements throughout the charging curve, so we'll just have to wait and see until the update is released.

I personally don’t think that the larger starting charge rates will change that much (maybe 5 minutes?) on the overall charging time. Simply because the curve will start dropping quicker. So I’d assume that with 170kw it would only charge at that speed for the first 10% or so, and then already drop off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts