Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
204 Posts
I enjoyed this review, although Model Y performance is not a competitor to the ID.4, IMO. Its hard to compare the two because they have totally different target customers and cost brackets.

·
837 Posts
I got tired of their bickering and didn't watch the whole thing.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,063 Posts
I enjoyed this review, although Model Y performance is not a competitor to the ID.4, IMO. Its hard to compare the two because they have totally different target customers and cost brackets.
Its not that different price, since I cannot believe I just purchased a Model Y! got a price of $39,990 for a MY. Doesn't that exactly match the base ID.4 Pro? And who is the target customer besides someone looking for a full Electric SUV?

·
204 Posts
Its not that different price, since I cannot believe I just purchased a Model Y! got a price of $39,990 for a MY. Doesn't that exactly match the base ID.4 Pro? And who is the target customer besides someone looking for a full Electric SUV?
I can't check the video at the moment, but weren't they comparing the AWD performance MY? I thought that car is >$50k

·
242 Posts
I think their bickering is entertaining...up to a point. I wish they'd compare the ID.4 with the RAV4 Prime. I'll be moving up from a Prius Plug-in, so that's the choice for me at this time.

·
204 Posts
Sorry, didnt answer the second part of your question. The Tesla MY performance is an EV aimed at people who want bleeding edge tech and incredible acceleration. Its a much sportier consumer. The ID.4 is aimed at those that want a comfortable and familiar ride. They are trying to convert people from an ICE cross-over.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,063 Posts
I can't check the video at the moment, but weren't they comparing the AWD performance MY? I thought that car is >$50k
Yes, so if you ignore the 1 comparison about acceleration rate where they mention its not fair since its the performance model, and the new standard model the range is 230 miles that almost matches the ID.4, and the rest of the comparisons should be valid?

·
204 Posts
Yes, so if you ignore the 1 comparison about acceleration rate where they mention its not fair since its the performance model, and the rest of the comparisons should be valid?
Look, I'm not looking to argue that their review isn't valid. I'm just saying that in my opinion the two cars they were comparing are apples and oranges other than the common denominator of being EVs. To use myself as an example, I would prefer the ID.4 over any Tesla, performance or otherwise. That is because my priorities in a car are different than someone who prefers the Tesla. It's hard for EV reviewers to find true apples to apples comparisons because the market is simply not mature yet. Its too early to be able to do this, but I think a comparison between ID.4 and Ariya or Ioniq 5 would be more on the nose. To me, they are competing for the same consumer. I am willing to bet that people who prefer Tesla to the ID.4 would also prefer Tesla to Ariya and Ioniq 5 because their priorities for EV ownership are different, but again this is all my own stupid opinion.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,063 Posts
Its a much sportier consumer. The ID.4 is aimed at those that want a comfortable and familiar ride. They are trying to convert people from an ICE cross-over.
I like sporty, I like latest tech (I am a software engineer) and I like comfortable too. I would not call that "a totally different customer". I am still considering a Tesla MY along with every other EV SUV with >200 mile range and AWD, those are my must have features. I think both Tesla and VW are trying to convert ICE drivers mainly. Who else would tesla be targeting, those who already bought a tesla?

·
204 Posts
I like sporty, I like latest tech (I am a software engineer) and I like comfortable too. I would not call that "a totally different customer". I am still considering a Tesla MY along with every other EV SUV with >200 mile range and AWD, those are my must have features. I think both Tesla and VW are trying to convert ICE drivers mainly. Who else would tesla be targeting, those who already bought a tesla?
Well, I am glad that your opinion differs from mine. Diversity of thought is a wonderful thing.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
I tried to watch it but it felt like a Yo Mama battle. Didn't even get to the 4:00 mark.

·
Banned
63 Posts
After experiencing the ID4's spacious and well designed interior, comfortable seating with ample front and rear legroom, colorful well illuminated and working display screens, good cargo space, excellent suspension system, driving quietness, offers Sirius XM, and has decent acceleration, I can say that VW has manufactured an EV which in quality, inside and out, is superior to every Tesla I've driven or ridden in period.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,063 Posts
I would love to see a real world MY SR and ID.4 weekend road trip review video. Something along the lines of two buddies two cars one road trip camping video for the weekend.
Good idea, and have them swap cars halfway through. Lets do it.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,063 Posts
What would be great to focus on the real differences, without being gimmicky like this vid. They did point out a number of useful differences, but I kept thinking about all the ones they skipped, like charging network; VW has a bad phone app (does Tesla have a good one?) ACC and lane keeping versus FSD, etc.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.