Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Have you ever had a problem with the coolant pump/ pumps that needed to be replaced.

• Yes

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 55 84.6%
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What do you mean? Why would be irrelevant? It is relevant because we all want to know the truth. How many cases at least among forum members are confirmed. Do you prefer not to know?

·
626 Posts
What do you mean? Why would be irrelevant? It is relevant because we all want to know the truth. How many cases at least among forum members are confirmed. Do you prefer not to know?
If this is something that can't make you sleep well..Setup appointment and ask them to start self diagnostic for battery loop pump and electronics loop pump. ...if self diagnostic pass it will be out of your mind..... there is cases where this was done without actually finding root cause of pump malfunctions. So even people who have this replaced it doesn't make statement that pumps are bad.
Some of 1st Edition have clocked over 8k or more and many fast DC charging sessions where pumps are working without issues.
Without root cause and technician notes....calling pumps bad is not the best way to make people believe that they have bad pumps.
Show me slef diagnostic screen and considering everything else was checked before starting this procedure and i will agree with your thread 100%.
So my statement is still it is irrelevant at this point without more information regarding people who have actually replaced this.
I have nothing against but i need facts and raw data to agree on pump issues.

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If this is something that can't make you sleep well..Setup appointment and ask them to start self diagnostic for battery loop pump and electronics loop pump. ...if self diagnostic pass it will be out of your mind..... there is cases where this was done without actually finding root cause of pump malfunctions. So even people who have this replaced it doesn't make statement that pumps are bad.
Some of 1st Edition have clocked over 8k or more and many fast DC charging sessions where pumps are working without issues.
Without root cause and technician notes....calling pumps bad is not the best way to make people believe that they have bad pumps.
Show me slef diagnostic screen and considering everything else was checked before starting this procedure and i will agree with your thread 100%.
So my statement is still it is irrelevant at this point without more information regarding people who have actually replaced this.
I have nothing against but i need facts and raw data to agree on pump issues.
So your point is that even though the VW dealer told us there is a faulty pump that needs to be replaced there still MIGHT be a chance for the pump to be operating normally and the problem to be somewhere else. Well I don't know what to say about that. I strongly believe that if the Authorised WV Dealer tells me that I have a faulty pump that needs to be replaced that is 100% correct and I have a right to tell other forum members what is going on. We need to be informed and that is the relevant information. If you believe that whenever Authorised VW Dealer tells us there's a faulty pump we should question that and start seeking the problem somewhere else that is something totally different and subject of another, separate discussion.

·
626 Posts
So your point is that even though the VW dealer told us there is a faulty pump that needs to be replaced there still MIGHT be a chance for the pump to be operating normally and the problem to be somewhere else. Well I don't know what to say about that. I strongly believe that if the Authorised WV Dealer tells me that I have a faulty pump that needs to be replaced that is 100% correct and I have a right to tell other forum members what is going on. We need to be informed and that is the relevant information. If you believe that whenever Authorised VW Dealer tells us there's a faulty pump we should question that and start seeking the problem somewhere else that is something totally different and subject of another, separate discussion.
Ask them for notes made by technician....there are specific steps to be followed before starting self diagnostic on the pump....I'm not judging any VW dealership but this information should be provided to the customer if he/she is asking for.
Did you actually receive this information from technician?

·
45 Posts
I think the good point to collecting these stats is finding out the level of this issue (Is this issue on 100% of ID.4's or 5%). Obviously this is a small cross section of ID.4 owners and people on forums like this tend to be in the know or have issues so I would assume any numbers on this site would skew higher to having issues then the real world. the next thing I think we should do is figure out the build dates of all of our ID.4's with pump issues because that would show whether this was an isolated build issue during a certain build window or if its spread out then maybe this is more lottery like where you just get lucky and get one of the bad pumps (or bad interface to the pump saying its bad).

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think the good point to collecting these stats is finding out the level of this issue (Is this issue on 100% of ID.4's or 5%). Obviously this is a small cross section of ID.4 owners and people on forums like this tend to be in the know or have issues so I would assume any numbers on this site would skew higher to having issues then the real world. the next thing I think we should do is figure out the build dates of all of our ID.4's with pump issues because that would show whether this was an isolated build issue during a certain build window or if its spread out then maybe this is more lottery like where you just get lucky and get one of the bad pumps (or bad interface to the pump saying its bad).
As I mentioned before I strongly believe this is caused by a bad batch of pumps rather than all of us will have a problem with this specific part sooner or later. Also truth is that most people don't go to forums and post their own stories about issues with their vehicles. We tend to be a little more knowledgeable and proactive than the general public.

·
45 Posts
As I mentioned before I strongly believe this is caused by a bad batch of pumps rather than all of us will have a problem with this specific part sooner or later. Also truth is that most people don't go to forums and post their own stories about issues with their vehicles. We tend to be a little more knowledgeable and proactive than the general public.
Wonder if the build date is in the door. Might be something we can all post to see if there is some kind of similarity there. Of course most of ours are at the dealerships so we'll have to wait on that.

·
626 Posts
My pump had to be replaced- I got the message after fast-charging and then running a billion errands in ultra-hot LA weather. I feel fortunate that the dealership only had my car for 10 days - here’s their write up: View attachment 5445
Now this is confirmed 100% pump malfunction...if you can post your ID4 build date that would be great.
And for others this type of post and picture of technician notes would be nice.
Also would be nice if some owners could actually ask more specific information regarding pump malfunction....some i have found with impeller completely loose and running 100% PWM duty cycle and didn’t move any coolant....some have been overheating and drawing too much current.....some have bad connections plug and failed self test.
Anyone who starts having this issues should contact service department and setup appointment for pump inspection .... and check for air pockets in the coolant system ( usually drop from coolant level when new should indicate that there is air pockets in the coolant system that wasn't done right from the assembly line....or it could be something entirely different.....also there is sensor in the coolant bottle that will trigger error if coolant level is low.)

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
253 Posts
Now this is confirmed 100% pump malfunction...if you can post your ID4 build date that would be great.
And for others this type of post and picture of technician notes would be nice.
Also would be nice if some owners could actually ask more specific information regarding pump malfunction....some i have found with impeller completely loose and running 100% PWM duty cycle and didn’t move any coolant....some have been overheating and drawing too much current.....some have bad connections plug and failed self test.
Anyone who starts having this issues should contact service department and setup appointment for pump inspection .... and check for air pockets in the coolant system ( usually drop from coolant level when new should indicate that there is air pockets in the coolant system that wasn't done right from the assembly line....or it could be something entirely different.....also there is sensor in the coolant bottle that will trigger error if coolant level is low.)
I had the same error message and posted a picture of the technician notes in this post. All they did in my case was bleed the coolant. I haven't had any error messages the 9 days since then. Are you saying the root cause is actually the pump in my case too and I still need that replaced?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,016 Posts
If your radiator was "air bound" by a bubble, they cleared same, and it's been fine since then that was your sole problem. As may be seen in the vote those with a failed pump are in the minority.

btw: I sold my RX-8 earlier than I should have as I lost confidence in it given online negativity related to its Wankel apex seals (like piston rings in operation). Beware becoming engulfed in such discussions until all the facts are in. ;)
I had the same error message and posted a picture of the technician notes in this post. All they did in my case was bleed the coolant. I haven't had any error messages the 9 days since then. Are you saying the root cause is actually the pump in my case too and I still need that replaced?

·
3 Posts
Let's see how many people had this annoying problem with the coolant pump! There are many threads around here but non of them keeps actual count of the number of cases. You can also reply if your problem got resolved and how long did it take. The cases are usually starting with a yellow or red warning light on the dash that says electrical system not working correctly. View attachment 5395
Yes I have this. New pump was ordered and it took a week to get it from California to NY. I had to rent a car for that week.

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
253 Posts
If your radiator was "air bound" by a bubble, they cleared same, and it's been fine since then that was your sole problem. As may be seen in the vote those with a failed pump are in the minority.
Agreed, I think what you are saying is likely correct and I'm not worried about my car. I was just hoping @VW TECHNICIAN could clarify his "Now this is confirmed 100% pump malfunction" statement above. It seemed like he could be saying that the pump is always the root cause, but I don't think he intended to say that. Language is such a tricky thing. :cool:

He also mentioned earlier that he was able to generate the error message just by getting in the car and putting it into gear after only a short 1-3 minute delay after a previous drive. He attributed it to the Gateway not having time to fully shut down from the previous drive and getting tripped up during the startup software sequence.

So yeah, given all the ways that the error message could be generated, I was just hoping he could clarify the "100% pump" thing he said since it's still a dynamic situation.

·
626 Posts
Agreed, I think what you are saying is likely correct and I'm not worried about my car. I was just hoping @VW TECHNICIAN could clarify his "Now this is confirmed 100% pump malfunction" statement above. It seemed like he could be saying that the pump is always the root cause, but I don't think he intended to say that. Language is such a tricky thing. :cool:

He also mentioned earlier that he was able to generate the error message just by getting in the car and putting it into gear after only a short 1-3 minute delay after a previous drive. He attributed it to the Gateway not having time to fully shut down from the previous drive and getting tripped up during the startup software sequence.

So yeah, given all the ways that the error message could be generated, I was just hoping he could clarify the "100% pump" thing he said since it's still a dynamic situation.
On EV in general these are going to be one of the parts that will eventually fail .... because they are playing key roles in moving coolant and making sure battery management and electronics & propulsion motor loop stays in good temperature.
It will reduce power output to get to safe place and after 2 contiguous starts, depending on which pump has failed, it will lock you out from starting the ID.4 until this is fixed.
And as EV progress there will be more robust pumps that will last much longer than what is now expected.

·
1 Posts
I had the dreaded Faulty Cooling Pump issue. I took it in on 8/27 for the 30 day check, and had some weird Infotainment messages that I documented for them. Two hours later and they tell me that this code came up and I can’t drive it until the pump is replaced. They provided a loaner (and Im trying not to be annoyed at having to pay for gas again!) and told me it would be two weeks. I did a quick look here and found the reports of back orders with no ETA - but they insisted it would be two weeks. I opened a case with VW. On 09/07, Service called to tell me that the part is now back ordered with no ETA (I didn’t remind him that I shared that with him weeks ago). VW called me that evening and asked what I’d like them to do for me - I told her it’d be great if they could get the part to my dealer (I’d think that was obvious, but who knows..). She said she’d call with an update on 09/09. She emailed me on 09/09 to tell me it was back ordered with no ETA, but their parts team is working on the issue. Surprisingly, I got an email this morning (4 days after my last update of no ETA) that the dealer got the part today. I checked in this afternoon and they said the part was installed and everything was working good, but they want to charge it and drive again in the AM. Hopefully I’ll have it back tomorrow 🤞🏻

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Dealer called me this afternoon and told me the pumps arrived in the morning and they have already replaced them, flushed and bled the coolant and did a road test. I picked my car already. Feeling better now!
Font Paper product Paper Document Publication

21 - 40 of 54 Posts