Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Have you ever had a problem with the coolant pump/ pumps that needed to be replaced.

• Yes

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 55 84.6%
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
190 Posts
They did a nice write up. Usually mine are brief one-sentence blurbs. This is how they should all be done.

·
183 Posts
Dealer called me this afternoon and told me the pumps arrived in the morning and they have already replaced them, flushed and bled the coolant and did a road test. I picked my car already. Feeling better now! View attachment 5604
What does "Road tested 356 miles before repair and 361 miles after repair" mean anyway?
That can't mean dealer driven miles, can it?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,016 Posts
Thanks Mutriu. Apparently some of we po'mericans can't do the math. :ROFLMAO:

[I'm just teasing Dana as anyone who spent time in the Wellesley school system likely can. ;)]
It means that the dealer did a road test for 5 miles.
What does "Road tested 356 miles before repair and 361 miles after repair" mean anyway?
That can't mean dealer driven miles, can it?

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If this is something that can't make you sleep well..Setup appointment and ask them to start self diagnostic for battery loop pump and electronics loop pump. ...if self diagnostic pass it will be out of your mind..... there is cases where this was done without actually finding root cause of pump malfunctions. So even people who have this replaced it doesn't make statement that pumps are bad.
Some of 1st Edition have clocked over 8k or more and many fast DC charging sessions where pumps are working without issues.
Without root cause and technician notes....calling pumps bad is not the best way to make people believe that they have bad pumps.
Show me slef diagnostic screen and considering everything else was checked before starting this procedure and i will agree with your thread 100%.
So my statement is still it is irrelevant at this point without more information regarding people who have actually replaced this.
I have nothing against but i need facts and raw data to agree on pump issues.
If this is something that can't make you sleep well... please check out the write up that I included on my last (hopefully) update on that Issue yesterday. When I was on the phone with the service manager he told me that every step of their diagnostic procedure has been directed by VW corporate. Also note the number of faults occured (24) before they trigger the yellow warning light.

·
183 Posts
So Mutriu's car had only 356 miles on it when it went in for pump issues? That's probably not enough to cause battery damage I'd guess, but what about cars with more miles on them with the same issue? Could battery be damaged from insufficient cooling/warming over a long period of time? I've had same "Electrical system not working correctly" warning before, maybe several times even, but it was transitory and always went away. Haven't had the message again in a very long time. My car goes in for 10K check tomorrow. If my car has the cooling pump issue will it show up as a code then? The pump isn't operating under extreme conditions so I would think designing a good, reliable one would be a piece of cake.

·
626 Posts
If this is something that can't make you sleep well... please check out the write up that I included on my last (hopefully) update on that Issue yesterday. When I was on the phone with the service manager he told me that every step of their diagnostic procedure has been directed by VW corporate. Also note the number of faults occured (24) before they trigger the yellow warning light.
Can you help me find your post...where you updated your issues....I'm interested in reading.
I have gone through all 27 posts you did so far and couldn't find it.

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Can you help me find your post...where you updated your issues....I'm interested in reading.
I have gone through all 27 posts you did so far and couldn't find it.
It is post #40 in this thread. I did include screenshot of my writeup.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
151 Posts
Interesting that these two dealers used different coolant. xXChartmanXx's used G13 coolant and Mutriu's used G12evo coolant.
If you want to be confused, just try to compare coolants. While I'd prefer G12evo in the ID.4, G12++ (NOT G12) or G13 would be fine as well. To confuse things even more, I usee G40 in my GLC300, and plan to use it in my ID4 as well if needed since it's exactly the same as G12++. In the USA Ford, BMW/Mercedes/VW/Volvo and Tesla all use BASF Glysantin coolants, and G12++ is the VW designation for G40. Confused yet? BTW I retired from BASF in 2015, and still consult for them on occasion. Not that I'm an expert.

·
183 Posts
I've had the same electrical system message as shown at top of this thread. When my Pro was scanned at 10K mile service today multiple codes were found to be stored in different modules. Tech line said it wasn't a problem and to delete codes and test drive to see if any codes reappeared. Nope, they didn't, fingers crossed on that.... I was advised to take photos of any future messages. I was told 3 or 4 cooling pumps were on order for other cars and that that dealer had only replaced one so far. I asked if they kept the ID.4s until the cooling pumps came in. I was told "no", but that the owner would have to take more precautions....
I've replaced or overhauled many fuel, water, hydraulic, oil, and ejector pumps over the years, so I know they can be problematic, although some can run forever without problems. Cavitation can be a problem. But compared to an ICE engine or transmission they are simple. With today's advanced technologies and precise manufacturing by robots I suppose the cooling pump issue must be taking VW by surprise.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,016 Posts
Thermostats and water pumps as you well know are a hard use and thereby high failure item on any vehicle. Water as the universal solvent is incessant! And yes the "water hammer" of cavitation can be especially wearing.
My wife's 2018 GLA has been fine but forums indicate Benz went with a new (value engineered?) design and many are having a higher pump failure rate. Perhaps VW AG transitioned to a similar?
I've had the same electrical system message as shown at top of this thread. When my Pro was scanned at 10K mile service today multiple codes were found to be stored in different modules. Tech line said it wasn't a problem and to delete codes and test drive to see if any codes reappeared. Nope, they didn't, fingers crossed on that.... I was advised to take photos of any future messages. I was told 3 or 4 cooling pumps were on order for other cars and that that dealer had only replaced one so far. I asked if they kept the ID.4s until the cooling pumps came in. I was told "no", but that the owner would have to take more precautions....
I've replaced or overhauled many fuel, water, hydraulic, oil, and ejector pumps over the years, so I know they can be problematic, although some can run forever without problems. Cavitation can be a problem. But compared to an ICE engine or transmission they are simple. With today's advanced technologies and precise manufacturing by robots I suppose the cooling pump issue must be taking VW by surprise.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts