Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has already been covered - I did not find a discussion about this.

Two questions:
1) What is the IRS definition of an EV manufacturer? Are VW and Audi considered one manufacturer? Or are they two?

2) Where can I find a running total of how many vehicles VW (or VW-Audi) have sold thus far? I know VW announces quarterly sales figures and I assume Audi does as well if that matters.

As most people know, the $7500 (non-refundable) tax credit is reduced after a manufacturer sells 200k vehicles.

ID.4 Pro S AWD
The IRS tracks but for some reason they only have BMW, Ford and Mercedes in their counts.

VW & Audi (& Porsche) are all considered separate brands. (Although all FCA brands are lumped together as well as Jaguar/Land Rover and Mercedes/Smart.) A list of all the qualified vehicles can be found at:

There is a link on that page for "30D Quarterly Sales" but only shows the 3 brands above.

Pro S RWD
Apologies if this has already been covered - I did not find a discussion about this.

Two questions:
1) What is the IRS definition of an EV manufacturer? Are VW and Audi considered one manufacturer? Or are they two?

2) Where can I find a running total of how many vehicles VW (or VW-Audi) have sold thus far? I know VW announces quarterly sales figures and I assume Audi does as well if that matters.

As most people know, the $7500 (non-refundable) tax credit is reduced after a manufacturer sells 200k vehicles.
I would not worry about VW coming close to hitting the cap any time soon.

The limit just needs to away, as proposed. It lends itself to companies to game the system. Reserving 200k units just encouraged some auto makers to delay EVs as they wait for battery price to drop. Having a time limit, as proposed, is better... sit on your butt and miss out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts