Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few months ago, I was fortunate to score an ID4 1st Edition.

I made my deposit and waited..watched some limited videos and waited..around Dec 2020, I decided to check out Tesla’s 2021 Model Y.

While I waited and waited to get some sort of delivery date, I tried to understand the possibility of a trade value for my 2018 Honda Accord Touring (Excellent car - Honda did an incredible job with this) As I shopped around..I did more and more research related to range..software etc of various EVs.

The more I researched the ID4 vs Model Y, I gravitated to the Model Y. I picked up the Model Y Long Range (326 miles) in Feb 2021, due to a great offer from Carvana for my 2018 Accord Hybrid Touring.

As I did not cancel my VW order, I was able to test drive today. For the $7500 and 3 years free EV charging, VW has a great value proposition.

The Physical car is solid...the software / UI/UX - is from the 90s..really disappointed..and non intuitive. The interior space and storage space is inferior to the Model Y. In regards to range, 250 miles can put you in a bind..because if a vehicle is rated at 250, it is advised to only charge to 90%, due to battery stress.

The UI/UX responsiveness also appears to be an issue. I think the 80s called and want there UI/UX back:(

All in all, I am delighted I opted for the Model Y. It was a higher price but meets my needs. The ID4 is a solid physical vehicle. However, Tesla is ahead in software and features ..it will take a few iterations to get the VW to the model y’s
level.

caveat - I trust VW’s quality control more than Tesla. I like VWs stock for the past few months..I think they will do better..I just did not feel the ID4 1st.
Tesla’s longevity always makes me concerned, however after 4K miles, I am going to enjoy the vehicle and try to get past my concerns about longevity and quality. Wish me luck!

Helpful Apps:

-PlugShare
-GreenLots
-Evgo
-ChargePoint
-Electrify America

If you like camping, learn about how a TT-30 and NEMA 14-50 can be used to charge EVs.

lastly VERY IMPORTANT- Changing an EV required continuous current. PLEASE invest in higher quality home 220v outlet, if the ID4 can be charged from a dryer 220 outlet.

In regards to 110v charging, please purchase at least a 12 Guage extension cord..not the standard Christmas lights extension cord..you will start a fire.

If you plan to install a plug at home, use a higher quality plug..better than the standard dryer quality.

If you can specify the outlet to the electrician, without telling then it’s an EV, you may save. It appears the rates increase as soon as an electrician heEV or Tesla:)

best of luck as you take your own EV journey. Charging at home vs gasoline stops..is a pleasure.

Helpful Apps..although you have the 3 year charging, you need to know other options because you will not always be near the Electrify America sites.

-PlugShare
-GreenLots
-Evgo
-ChargePoint
-Electrify America

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
963 Posts
I won't and can't disparage your decision. For starters, I've never even sat in a Tesla, and I can't justify my reasoning that they just don't appeal to me -- but I won't talk trash about them.

But I just wanted to counter two points you made:

ID.4 charging: By appearances from the charging menu the preferred day-to-day cut-off is 80%, but if an owner needs 100%, they shouldn't be afraid or concerned to use it. 100% indicated on and ID.4 is not actually 100%; VW has left lots of buffer on both ends of the charge scale.

I wouldn't plant the UI flag in the '90s. The system could be better, and the videos of Tesla screens in use makes the difference apparent. However, the ID.4 offers a fantastic windowed implementation of Android Auto, with familiar AA audio controls (though no split-screen, not yet anyway), and the climate controls have a dedicated hardware button to call up the appropriate screen, if the touch controls aren't enough. In other words, despite criticisms of a klunky and sometimes laggy UI, the screens that I actually need and use when driving are more than fine and work smoothly. I would encourage anyone concerned about this to get into a test drive and really give consideration to what they'll be using as they operate the vehicle, and try those screens out.

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
I do wish you luck. I hope that you experience fewer Tesla hardware failures than I did.

·
267 Posts
In the 90’s I used Windows 3.1 and still relied on ms-dos. To hate on one UI v another is the same absurdity as Apple v Android.

There is available data to show real world range isn’t that different between the ID.4 and Y regardless of EPA ratings and the Y is also under the same charging constraint of not going beyond 90%.

The Y is a great ride and I agree the Y feels like it’s a bit bigger and it’s definitely the more fun driving car but it’s also $13,500 more!

·
248 Posts
In the 90’s I used Windows 3.1 and still relied on ms-dos. To hate on one UI v another is the same absurdity as Apple v Android.

There is available data to show real world range isn’t that different between the ID.4 and Y regardless of EPA ratings and the Y is also under the same charging constraint of not going beyond 90%.

The Y is a great ride and I agree the Y feels like it’s a bit bigger and it’s definitely the more fun driving car but it’s also $13,500 more!
It’s not $13,500 more. The RWD is $4k more with many upgrades than the ID. And the AWD is virtually the same price. You have to compare the closest models to each other. Not the cheapest vehicle. Not bashing either vehicle. I love both of them. ID is a nice practical EV. The MY is a performance EV. The tax credit obviously comes into play if money is a driving factor, but comparing the vehicles is unfair.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
Now that's the way to make an astute gentlemanly exit (even if I don't agree with the entirety).

All the Best Lennox. 👍

·
267 Posts
It’s not $13,500 more. The RWD is $4k more with many upgrades than the ID. And the AWD is virtually the same price. You have to compare the closest models to each other. Not the cheapest vehicle. Not bashing either vehicle. I love both of them. ID is a nice practical EV. The MY is a performance EV. The tax credit obviously comes into play if money is a driving factor, but comparing the vehicles is unfair.
In his case, the Y cost him $13,500 more.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Y isn’t eligible for the Federal tax credit, so effectively, it’s much more expensive than the ID.4. That’s a huge factor for a lot of people, especially those coming from moderately-priced compact ICE SUV’s

·
470 Posts
Living in Massachusetts after rebates and tax incentives the ID.4 Pro is just over $31,100 after destination before taxes. The Model Y AWD long range (the cheapest you can order online) and because it is over $50,000 I would pay $50,990. That is nearly 2/3 the price of the ID.4 Pro. Sure the tech is better in the Model Y and acceleration is higher but to me and a lot of people that price difference isn't worth that. Plus the lack of screen in front of the drive is almost a deal breaker for me and not having Apple Carplay is a negative as well.

The Model Y is still a great option just think that comparing it to a ID.4 is comparing a Jetta to a Audi A3/A4. I think the real comparison is the Audi Q4 and Model Y.

After the 1000 km test and other tests from Bjorn Nyland showing the abilities of the ID.4. Tesla isn't 5 years ahead of the competition anymore. Which is a good thing for consumers.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Tesla has the worst initial build quality of any major auto company and very bad long term reliability according to Consumer Reports. But hey, good luck with it.

·
248 Posts
Still not apples for apples. Compare what you get for the money not just price. Standard range MY 244 miles ID 250. No leather, no sun roof, etc. MY 43,990, ID 39,995. Yes tax credit is a factor but much more in the vehicle. You cannot compare price without comparing what you get in the car.

·
38 Posts
I've never been a fan of the Tesla vehicles. I can't get past the ugly, unfinished look of the front end where it's still shaped like a grill should be there but it's just a flat nose.

·
248 Posts
If you don’t like the look of a car that’s a different issue, naturally you wouldn’t buy it. I like the ID, Mach e and the Model Y. I have to figure out which one I will buy or wait for a different one like the Fisher Ocean or Audi. The way people are comparing prices is just totally wrong! You have to see what you are getting and what you want. It’s ridiculous to say this one starts at 39k and this one starts at 43k when they are different in terms of whats in the car. Just like the same truck can cost 30k or 40k depending on features. I’m not a Tesla fanboy. I don’t care for Musk as a person. But that wouldn’t stop me from buying a Tesla or any other car when I didn’t care for the person running the company. Only concerned about what I want and that’s what most people should be concerned about.

·
267 Posts
Still not apples for apples. Compare what you get for the money not just price. Standard range MY 244 miles ID 250. No leather, no sun roof, etc. MY 43,990, ID 39,995. Yes tax credit is a factor but much more in the vehicle. You cannot compare price without comparing what you get in the car.
My comment has nothing to do with a price comparison of cars. It’s a comparison of how much more he chose to pay. In most people’s decision making, a price differential of $13,500 is a major factor but in his, it wasn’t.

And FYI that’s the differential between the FE (not the Pro) and the Model Y LR. The Model Y SR is nonexistent.

Reactions: TPG

·
248 Posts
My comment has nothing to do with a price comparison of cars. It’s a comparison of how much more he chose to pay. In most people’s decision making, a price differential of $13,500 is a major factor but in his, it wasn’t.

And FYI that’s the differential between the FE (not the Pro) and the Model Y LR. The Model Y SR is nonexistent.

Well if a car is 13,500 less you are comparing price? The MY SR is still available. You have to order at a offline. Anyway we will agree to disagree. It all comes down to what you want and what you’re willing to pay. These comparisons are not accurate and that is my point!

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Just a rumor that the MY SR is still available off-menu. It's not. Once the built cars were sold, there was no way to order a new one.

·
38 Posts

It's actually true, it's not $13,500 difference, but more like $17,500 difference if you use actual new cost of base Model Y (there is only a LR, odd considering it's the only range) and base model ID4 and not the imaginary number they say is "after savings." I am including the tax credit for the ID4 because that is a real number that effects the real price of the car.

MSRP per Tesla's website for Model Y: $49,990
MSRP per VW's website for ID4: $39,995

1 - 20 of 28 Posts