Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I was relatively late to the ID.4 party, making my reservation in January. After hanging out here I've been really excited about getting mine, likely in May-June at this point. Anyway, today I snuck away to the dealer and took a quick spin between work calls/meetings. I didn't get as much time with it as I would have liked, but here are my impressions:

First, I think it's a very good looking car. While it's more subdued than a Telsa or a Mach-E, and definitely more subdued than the Ioniq 5, it's sure to turn some heads. It was a little smaller than I imagined it to be, in all honesty. It's like someone took my Sportwagen and inflated it just a touch. That's not a knock, just an observation. That said, I think it's somehow bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. Plenty of room and extremely comfortable.

I've always been an extremely conservative driver. I spent a day at the BMW driving experience in Greenville, SC and I think I recorded the slowest lap time of the group I was with :p. The ID.4 has plenty of zip for me, and handles like a dream. It feels similar to a Mercedes IMO. Very smooth, solid, and refined. I don't have any experience with EV driving, so to confirm VW's decision I think I preferred the D mode to B. I'm used to coasting, and it just felt more "normal". That will probably change over time, especially once I actually start going back into the office and have to deal with a commute.

I really like the interior. Not quite luxury brand standards, but it's very nice and the layout of the controls and screens are on point. The seats were extremely comfortable, and I loved the lumbar massage. The center console is laid out well, and I really like that there are no controls down there. Just give me my cupholders and chargers and I'm good.

Can I talk about the screen for a minute? It's freaking gorgeous. The colors pop, it's crystal clear, and it's laid out well, especially for an iPhone user. It's a joy to look at, and I honestly think it helps see thing more clearly and quickly. I did experience a little lag, and it did have the update, which was a minor concern. It wasn't too bad, and it was only when swiping between the main screens. Tapping the buttons and navigating through different options was seamless.

I don't have much more to add that other people haven't said already. This is a very well put together, well thought out car overall, and I'd argue most of the complaints can be ironed out via software fixes. I'm really looking forward to delivery now. Woo hoo!

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
I think it's somehow bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.
I notice a lot of people say that, and in the blue color I shall now call it the VW TARDIS. I am starting to consider names.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts