Volkswagen ID Forum banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
ID.4 1st blue
116 Posts
@sethpo So it seems you subscribed to the Nav Plus option already. Right? If that's correct, are you also planning to subscribe to CarNet 'hotspot' after the 30 day free trial?
Ok cool. I don't intend to add the car data to my Verizon account. I don't think will be able to get live traffic although you'd think it could use your phone's connection via Bluetooth.

·
250 Posts
Ok cool. I don't intend to add the car data to my Verizon account. I don't think will be able to get live traffic although you'd think it could use your phone's connection via Bluetooth.
The hope is that the data could come from your phone through a wifi connection to the car, not bluetooth. This would require your phone and associated carrier plan have hotspot service/capability to allow other devices to connect to it. Your phone could then be setup to host a connection to the car. Some carriers offer hotspot for free with normal phone plan. Others have a separate charge for the option. My assumption was that you would already have the phone hotspot capability. If not, then sorry for misleading.

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
The hope is that the data could come from your phone through a wifi connection to the car, not bluetooth. This would require your phone and associated carrier plan have hotspot service/capability to allow other devices to connect to it. Your phone could then be setup to host a connection to the car. Some carriers offer hotspot for free with normal phone plan. Others have a separate charge for the option. My assumption was that you would already have the phone hotspot capability. If not, then sorry for misleading.
What is the source of the traffic data?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue Somewhere on the Gulf?
388 Posts
GN

What is the source of the traffic data?
The Nav plan with Car Net is the source of enabling feature we hope, regardless of the transport mechanism.

Reactions: theboomr and Huey52

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
For Nav I like using the integral Nav system whenever possible in any vehicle, so this add'l plan via Car-Net is something in which I'll be interested if it provides what it's supposed to.

My rationale is that the integral is usually SatNav and most others via BT are cellular. In geo-stationary I trust? ;) But having said that I always sporadically lose Sirius in my area on country roads due to dense tall foliage and therefore never re-up for same after the trial period. That and I end up just listening to one channel. 🤷‍♂️
The Nav plan with Car Net is the source of enabling feature [traffic monitoring/re-routing] we hope, regardless of the transport mechanism.

·
250 Posts
For Nav I like using the integral Nav system whenever possible in any vehicle, so this add'l plan via Car-Net is something in which I'll be interested if it provides what it's supposed to.

My rationale is that the integral is usually SatNav and most others via BT are cellular. In geo-stationary I trust? ;)
Although I will use Google Maps & ABRP, I like having the built in Nav being fully functional as well.

@Huey52, Smartphone mapping apps also use satellite GPS, although they can be assisted with cell tower triangulation as another source. It's hard to know if the car also uses cell assisted GPS in addition to Sat. I wouldn't say phone navigation is less accurate, if that was what you were worried about.

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·

My rationale is that the integral is usually SatNav and most others via BT are cellular. In geo-stationary I trust? ;) But having said that I always sporadically lose Sirius in my area on country roads due to dense tall foliage and therefore never re-up for same after the trial period. That and I end up just listening to one channel. 🤷‍♂️
Do you use an iPhone, if so which one. I have an iPhone 8 Plus and the only Car-Net functions that work are charge state and car temp and a crummy find a charging station. I have 30 day trial plans for plus nav, plus speech, remote access and Verizon WiFi.
But non of them work. Is it my iPhone or is it the app or both???

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
YouTube has a video for the Tiguan. My interface is not like that. Should I go back to the dealership and ask them for help?
Or is Car-Net forcing me to get a newer iPhone?
The EA app is still not working for me👎.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
My prior Audi TTS had SatNav that was augmented by a cellular Google overlay, so yes thanks I am aware. (btw: at the end of 2020 VAG and Google parted ways so alas that nice feature disappeared)

I presume the "shark fin" antenna is mostly for Satellite reception, as typical.

No, not concerned with reception per se and by my Sirius example sometimes it's not as reliable as cellular, provided of course good cell network coverage.

Although I will use Google Maps & ABRP, I like having the built in Nav being fully functional as well.

@Huey52, Smartphone mapping apps also use satellite GPS, although they can be assisted with cell tower triangulation as another source. It's hard to know if the car also uses cell assisted GPS in addition to Sat. I wouldn't say phone navigation is less accurate, if that was what you were worried about.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
A further update to the EA App just yesterday (two updates this week) and still not working for me either on my iPhone 12 Mini ! 😣 And yet still AOK on my 4+ year old iPad with the same latest iOS version. 🤷‍♂️

The Car-Net App was updated this week as well.

YouTube has a video for the Tiguan. My interface is not like that. Should I go back to the dealership and ask them for help?
Or is Car-Net forcing me to get a newer iPhone?
The EA app is still not working for me👎.

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
A further update to the EA App just yesterday (two updates this week) and still not working for me either on my iPhone 12 Mini ! 😣 And yet still AOK on my 4+ year old iPad with the same latest iOS version. 🤷‍♂️

The Car-Net App was updated this week as well.
There should be a additional manual for Car-Net and EA, IMO.
Or am I too old to figure it out?

·
250 Posts
Do you use an iPhone, if so which one. I have an iPhone 8 Plus and the only Car-Net functions that work are charge state and car temp and a crummy find a charging station. I have 30 day trial plans for plus nav, plus speech, remote access and Verizon WiFi.
But non of them work. Is it my iPhone or is it the app or both???
Sorry @BlueDH, but I don't have my car yet so I haven't worked with CarNet at this point.

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
308 Posts
My prior Audi TTS had SatNav that was augmented by a cellular Google overlay, so yes thanks I am aware. (btw: at the end of 2020 VAG and Google parted ways so alas that nice feature disappeared)

I presume the "shark fin" antenna is mostly for Satellite reception, as typical.

No, not concerned with reception per se and by my Sirius example sometimes it's not as reliable as cellular, provided of course good cell network coverage.
Here are the antennae:

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
308 Posts
That's helpful John. Where did you find it? Looks like something from a service manual. If so, do you have the rest of it? Please. 🙏:)
The ID.4 service manuals are up on erWin which is VW's online service portal. All of the manuals for almost every VW are there and you can download them. A 24 hour pass is $35 and available to the public with unlimited downloads during the 24 hours. Cheapest set of manuals you will find, come to think of it, that is cheaper than they want for the Owner's Manual! About 35-40 files total for the ID.4 not counting a ton of non-related TSBs. The neatest thing is the interactive wire diagrams, but those only last as long as the subscription. You can search by VIN and get exactly what your car needs. The trick is that you have to use FireFox or IE for downloading, Chrome or Edge will not work apparently.

Check out erWin Online | Volkswagen of America | erWin Online (vw.com)
you have to create and account and the they payment system is kind of strange, but it works great.

Reactions: corfam and BlueDH

·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
The ID.4 service manuals are up on erWin which is VW's online service portal. All of the manuals for almost every VW are there and you can download them. A 24 hour pass is $35 and available to the public with unlimited downloads during the 24 hours. Cheapest set of manuals you will find, come to think of it, that is cheaper than they want for the Owner's Manual! About 35-40 files total for the ID.4 not counting a ton of non-related TSBs. The neatest thing is the interactive wire diagrams, but those only last as long as the subscription. You can search by VIN and get exactly what your car needs. The trick is that you have to use FireFox or IE for downloading, Chrome or Edge will not work apparently.

Check out erWin Online | Volkswagen of America | erWin Online (vw.com)
you have to create and account and the they payment system is kind of strange, but it works great.
I did this for my Jetta and my son's Routon about 5 years ago.

·
250 Posts
About 35-40 files total for the ID.4 not counting a ton of non-related TSBs.
What's in the 35-40 files? Service manual chapters? Also, is it easy to tell which TSB don't apply to ID.4?

Maybe I should wait a few months for things to settle down before subscribing so that I get any newer TSBs.

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
308 Posts
What's in the 35-40 files? Service manual chapters? Also, is it easy to tell which TSB don't apply to ID.4?

Maybe I should wait a few months for things to settle down before subscribing so that I get any newer TSBs.
Yes, the chapters are broken up into files by section like HVAC, Transmission, body, interior, etc....they are well organized though. The thing I am noticing is that there are some sections that say basically "information coming" that is why I will probably resubscribe again in several months to get the updates too.

No on the TSBs, it just seems to be a big 7 or 8 page list that you have to go through. I started to do it, but realized that there are really none out for the ID.4. Most of the ones I saw were very generic

Reactions: corfam
81 - 100 of 125 Posts