Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up our new ID4 yesterday. We will be installing a Level 2 charger at our home next week. I stopped at a local shopping center and tried their lower voltage Level 2 charger. Seemed to work fine.

Then, I figured we should learn how to use the Level 1 cable that came with the car, just so we know. Current charge is 63%, but I thought I’d just see It work for awhile at home and move up a % or two to be sure it works.

I plugged the Level 1 charger into a 120v outlet, and then into the car. Green light came on and console said “charging.” All good. A few minutes later, I went out to garage, and saw a message on the infotainment console that said something along the lines of “Emergency charging of high voltage battery only” with an orange triangle and an exclamation point. Then I thought I hear some occasional crackling or popping (?)… not sure, but I disconnected the charger immediately. Have a call into dealer (an hour away). Anyone have any insight or guidance?

Appreciate any insight so I don’t burn down the garage on the first day here!

2021 AWD Pro S on 2.1
3,280 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This happens if my wife does not plug it in all the way and the car's lock pin can't extend and lock the plug. My socket is tight so the plug has to be pushed in hard, and I look at the side to be sure the shoulder is all the way against the socket. You can unplug and try again, and look with a flashlight and see if the 1/4" lock pin is extending on the top of the plug, it should pop out and lock it within about a minute of when you plug it in.

2,040 Posts
Make sure that the plug is fully seated and “clicked” into the charge port inlet on the car. You might have to wiggle it even. Some people here have seen similar behavior when the plug isn’t fully inserted.

If the “clicking” sound is coming from under the car, that’s normal. That’s the high voltage battery’s electrical contacts engaging and disengaging. If the clicking is coming from the EVSE, then it might be the source of the problem. Do you have any public Level 2 charging stations nearby where you could go and test to see if the car charges properly there?

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. This happens if my wife does not plug it in all the way and the car's lock pin can't extend and lock the plug. My socket is tight so the plug has to be pushed in hard, and I look at the side to be sure the shoulder is all the way against the socket. You can unplug and try again, and look with a flashlight and see if the 1/4" lock pin is extending on the top of the plug, it should pop out and lock it within about a minute of when you plug it in.
Wow, thank you so much for the quick response! I will definitely try this again in the morning, keeping in mind your comments. Hoping it is something simple like this. We are super excited about this vehicle and the 400 page manual is a bit daunting. THANKS AGAIN!

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure that the plug is fully seated and “clicked” into the charge port inlet on the car. You might have to wiggle it even. Some people here have seen similar behavior when the plug isn’t fully inserted.

If the “clicking” sound is coming from under the car, that’s normal. That’s the high voltage battery’s electrical contacts engaging and disengaging. If the clicking is coming from the EVSE, then it might be the source of the problem. Do you have any public Level 2 charging stations nearby where you could go and test to see if the car charges properly there?
Thank you - I will try again in the morning. We do have a public Level 2 charging station nearby and we tried that earlier today - it worked just fine.

I really appreciate knowing this forum is here - and how folks responded. Think I’ll sleep better tonight. THANKS.

2,408 Posts
Thank you - I will try again in the morning. We do have a public Level 2 charging station nearby and we tried that earlier today - it worked just fine.

I really appreciate knowing this forum is here - and how folks responded. Think I’ll sleep better tonight. THANKS.
I don’t see it in your signature. What did you get? 2023?

2023 VW ID.4 Pro S AWD Aurora Red Metallic
2 Posts
Just picked up our new ID4 yesterday. We will be installing a Level 2 charger at our home next week. I stopped at a local shopping center and tried their lower voltage Level 2 charger. Seemed to work fine.

Then, I figured we should learn how to use the Level 1 cable that came with the car, just so we know. Current charge is 63%, but I thought I’d just see It work for awhile at home and move up a % or two to be sure it works.

I plugged the Level 1 charger into a 120v outlet, and then into the car. Green light came on and console said “charging.” All good. A few minutes later, I went out to garage, and saw a message on the infotainment console that said something along the lines of “Emergency charging of high voltage battery only” with an orange triangle and an exclamation point. Then I thought I hear some occasional crackling or popping (?)… not sure, but I disconnected the charger immediately. Have a call into dealer (an hour away). Anyone have any insight or guidance?

Appreciate any insight so I don’t burn down the garage on the first day here!
I had the same problem using the Level 1 charger when plugged into the GFCI outlet on the side of our house. From what I’ve read in previous posts on this forum, chargers (EVSEs) and GFCIs don’t always get along. I used a public Level 2 nearby until I had one installed at home the following week.

I was surprised and frustrated to see the same warning message when plugging into my new Juicebox that was hardwired onto the outside of the house. Then I discovered I needed to hold down the button on top of the handle while inserting it into the car. No problem since then.

(I have a 2023, but the very kind service manager at the dealership gave me the charger from his own 2022 since he never used it.)

This forum is a wealth of information for new owners like us. Use the search box for specific issues or just click the New button to keep up with the latest discussions. Enjoy your new car!

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same problem using the Level 1 charger when plugged into the GFCI outlet on the side of our house. From what I’ve read in previous posts on this forum, chargers (EVSEs) and GFCIs don’t always get along. I used a public Level 2 nearby until I had one installed at home the following week.

I was surprised and frustrated to see the same warning message when plugging into my new Juicebox that was hardwired onto the outside of the house. Then I discovered I needed to hold down the button on top of the handle while inserting it into the car. No problem since then.

(I have a 2023, but the very kind service manager at the dealership gave me the charger from his own 2022 since he never used it.)

This forum is a wealth of information for new owners like us. Use the search box for specific issues or just click the New button to keep up with the latest discussions. Enjoy your new car!
Thanks for the good info. I just didn’t want to start a fire on Day 1! I’m hoping the proper technique takes care of it, and we are installing the Level 2 unit next week.

Great to have this forum. Hope I can pay it forward and help someone else one day. Thanks.

· Super Moderator
6,050 Posts
Welcome @mfmeath !!
I firmly lean-seat any/all L1/L2/L3 plugs until I hear the ID's charge port locking solenoid pin engage and the steady green light illuminates. As others have well noted some plugs are a tighter fit than others so being rather firm on all occasions is prudent imho.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome @mfmeath !!
I firmly lean-seat any/all L1/L2/L3 plugs until I hear the ID's charge port locking solenoid pin engage and the steady green light illuminates. As others have well noted some plugs are a tighter fit than others so being rather firm on all occasions is prudent imho.
Thanks - I retried it this morning and made sure it clicked into place. All good!

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the quick responses to this rookie question. Extremely helpful.
Hope I can pass along some useful information to others like this someday. My son uses forums like this for his car (Subaru) and I totally see the value. Much appreciated!

18 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your ID.4! I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

If you notice the issue again, one thing that might cause some issues with a level 1 charger is if the outlet wiring is older and/or maybe you don't know if the wiring can carry the amount if electricity that your car is trying to pull. There's a feature called "Reduced AC charging current" that limits the amount of power your ID.4 pulls when connected to a level 1 charger. You can see that option in the photo below.

Picture is from a great video that talks about charging an ID.4 on InsideEVs. He talks about Reduced AC charging current at the 41:28 point in the video.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your ID.4! I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

If you notice the issue again, one thing that might cause some issues with a level 1 charger is if the outlet wiring is older and/or maybe you don't know if the wiring can carry the amount if electricity that your car is trying to pull. There's a feature called "Reduced AC charging current" that limits the amount of power your ID.4 pulls when connected to a level 1 charger. You can see that option in the photo below.

Picture is from a great video that talks about charging an ID.4 on InsideEVs. He talks about Reduced AC charging current at the 41:28 point in the video.

View attachment 20671
Thanks - looks like a great video; I will definitely watch it.
I saw a previous note about watching out for old wiring on outlets used for Level 1 charging. Fortunately, ours is a brand new house and I checked all the outlets.
Appreciate all the good info!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts