Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, along with my 9 year old son, I delivered some snow tires to a colleague who lives near Pittsburgh (the opposite end of Pennsylvania from Lansdale where I am). We decided to meet up at an Electrify America station at a Sheetz mini mart in Bedford, PA. This location was 83 miles for her (2017 e-Golf) and 201 miles for me (1st Edition). I had planned to possibly stop in Carlisle, PA which is 2/3 of my trip but I ended up getting there with enough confidence to just keep going. Here are some trip notes I carplay-Siri texted to an EV nerd friend:
8:00am 325 guess o meter, 100% SoC
8:35am 85% state of charge we've gone 33 miles and have 248 indicated miles remaining
8:43am I've got the cruise set on 75 and I'm getting 2.6 mi/kWh
9:11am 64% state of charge 125 miles to our destination and 178 miles on the guess o meter
9:37am 50% state of charge we've gone 109 miles we have 93 miles to go and the gas meter says 136 I'm gonna send it
9:46am Just passed Carlisle no turning back now
9:56am 99 miles on the guessometer 69 miles till we actually get there
10:04am 33% state of charge in the car is starting to warn me that I may not reach my destination without stopping somewhere to charge I don't believe you
10:28am I have gone 170 miles 52 miles on the guessometer 31 miles to go and still averaging 2.7 mi./kWh
After that I was climbing a mountain in the rain and watched as the guessometer and destination distance got disturbingly close together (less than 10 miles between them at some point). White knuckle driving due to range not scary driving.
Eventually I came down off the mountain and arrived at the EA station with 8% SoC, 24 miles on the GoM, travel distance 201 miles, 2h54m, average speed 70mph, consumption 2.8 mi/kWh. Also there is about 1000 ft of elevation gain in there.

I will reply with details on the charging experience and the trip home.

·
196 Posts
Really curious how well it will do at highway speeds out West where we can do 85/90 (80 mph legally is common). Does it drop off fast after 70 or just a gradual slope as you gain speed?

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
Your range is right around what I expected. Thanks for sharing! I have a regular (well, not until later this year, but then monthly) trip to Ventura, which is 180 miles door to door, and all my calculations have been that I’ll arrive with 30 miles remaining. Glad to see it reflected in a real situation.

·
Super Moderator
426 Posts
Today, along with my 9 year old son, I delivered some snow tires to a colleague who lives near Pittsburgh (the opposite end of Pennsylvania from Lansdale where I am). We decided to meet up at an Electrify America station at a Sheetz mini mart in Bedford, PA. This location was 83 miles for her (2017 e-Golf) and 201 miles for me (1st Edition). I had planned to possibly stop in Carlisle, PA which is 2/3 of my trip but I ended up getting there with enough confidence to just keep going. Here are some trip notes I carplay-Siri texted to an EV nerd friend:
8:00am 325 guess o meter, 100% SoC
8:35am 85% state of charge we've gone 33 miles and have 248 indicated miles remaining
8:43am I've got the cruise set on 75 and I'm getting 2.6 mi/kWh
9:11am 64% state of charge 125 miles to our destination and 178 miles on the guess o meter
9:37am 50% state of charge we've gone 109 miles we have 93 miles to go and the gas meter says 136 I'm gonna send it
9:46am Just passed Carlisle no turning back now
9:56am 99 miles on the guessometer 69 miles till we actually get there
10:04am 33% state of charge in the car is starting to warn me that I may not reach my destination without stopping somewhere to charge I don't believe you
10:28am I have gone 170 miles 52 miles on the guessometer 31 miles to go and still averaging 2.7 mi./kWh
After that I was climbing a mountain in the rain and watched as the guessometer and destination distance got disturbingly close together (less than 10 miles between them at some point). White knuckle driving due to range not scary driving.
Eventually I came down off the mountain and arrived at the EA station with 8% SoC, 24 miles on the GoM, travel distance 201 miles, 2h54m, average speed 70mph, consumption 2.8 mi/kWh. Also there is about 1000 ft of elevation gain in there.
View attachment 3483
I will reply with details on the charging experience and the trip home.
Thanks for this post. I plan on making this trip on the PA Turnpike myself. We will leave from LI and charge in Allentown and then Bedford on our way to my son's house in Trafford, PA.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
213 Posts
Really curious how well it will do at highway speeds out West where we can do 85/90 (80 mph legally is common). Does it drop off fast after 70 or just a gradual slope as you gain speed?
I have road tripped a lot in this car so far 6000+ miles since taking ownership on April 1st. Some of my observations:
  • The sweat spot is really 65, but at 70 I still get fantastic kW/m in the high 3.x. This is in AVG 70° F weather and relatively flat terrain, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, DE. All of those states are hilly but my route seems relatively flat.
  • At 75 and 80 mph you notice range degradation. Not horrible, and if you had EA chargers at reasonable distances I don’t think it would be too much a problem. When you get down to 20% is when you see 127kW charge rates and with the charge curve it is quick to “fill up”. I find more little stops between the charging sweet spots where I come in at 20% and leave at 80%+/-
  • Using travel assist really helps and applies regen when needed to keep the speed
  • Anticipating stops and “dragging” the brakes longer when coming to a stop seems to gen quite a bit more than my previous EV’s. There are times where I have to go down hills where I pick up almost 5 miles on my GOM, though regen does not feel more aggressive.
  • It almost seems like 6’s between the efficiency of coast and regen. I think at times coast is better but this is just gut, non-empirical observation.
I am willing to bet that it would not be too bad of degradation on some of the long flat 80 MPH stretches in TX, UT etc simply because it is warm, flat and has long rolling hills. That being said there would be some pucker moments in places with more sparse DCFC’s. I would like to see more presence in places like AZ and southern UT.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will get to the charging part in a bit but first I'll address some questions about the driving.

Not bad considering you had the cruise set to 75 MPH
Yep, I had it on 75 almost the entire way, except when climbing that mountain and I got scared so I scaled it back to 70. It still resulted in a 70 door to door average that was pretty satisfying.

Thank you for your post! As someone still waiting for my first-ever EV, it is helpful to read how all of this works in the real world.
You're welcome, despite me having driven a PHEV for 3 years this range anxiety thing is all new to me.

Are you referring to acceleration or power consumption? It seems to increase speed pretty easily, even at highway speeds. It's not fast but not dangerously slow either. I did an earlier 80mph range test and got 2.5 mi/kWh. I'm guessing if you cruise at 90 or 100, it will get thirsty in a hurry. It would be neat to test several speed increments back and forth on a deserted Western highway.

Elevation gain from Lansdale to Bedford, but lots of ups and downs on the Turnpike in between. How did you do on the trip home?
I ended up taking a slightly different route home. Instead of going back on the turnpike the whole way, I got off in Morgantown and headed up to the newly opened Pottstown EA charger to top up before heading home. That leg entailed secondary roads where speeds were lower, and efficiency was better. My total for the whole trip was:
403 mi, 60 mph, 6h46m, 3.0 mi/kWh. This means my return trip was 3.2 mi/kWh at an average speed of 50mph.

·
196 Posts
Are you referring to acceleration or power consumption? It seems to increase speed pretty easily, even at highway speeds. It's not fast but not dangerously slow either. I did an earlier 80mph range test and got 2.5 mi/kWh. I'm guessing if you cruise at 90 or 100, it will get thirsty in a hurry. It would be neat to test several speed increments back and forth on a deserted Western highway.
Power consumption. I live in Vegas but have family in Salt Lake City. It’s around 6 hours in an ICE and mostly 80 mph or 75 for 430 miles. I’ll be heading up in a couple weeks for my nephew’s grad party so I can get some real world numbers. Plenty of EA stations on the way so not worried about getting power, just curious to see if I can get decent miles at say 90 mph or if I should stay under 80 to keep a practical kw burn. I’ll update in early June with real world numbers. Lots of elevation as well.

·
175 Posts
Our first trip from Arizona to Vegas at 75 mph and a head wind we got 2.9kwh. made it to Kingman Az to the EA station with 20 miles left. Coming home with no wind and 70mph. We got 3.4.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OK, here's a story about charging. Before I left, I used Level 1 overnight to top up to 100%. It finished long before I woke up and headed out so the battery was 17*C, about ambient.
Driving 1: Lansdale to Bedford: 201mi
100% to 8%, 201 mi, 70 mph, 2h54m, 2.8 mi/kWh, GoM 325mi->24mi

Charging 1: Bedford Electrify America charger #4
I plugged in at 8% SoC (24 mi on GoM) and it quickly ramped up to 125kW, even momentarily showing 126 or 127.
Believing all was well, we headed into Sheetz to use the facilities and grab some snacks. When I returned I noticed that at 22% SoC, the power had dropped to 77kW. Clearly something wasn't right. The data I logged with VCDS shows it precipitously dropping by about 50kW. Coincidence that this charger also has a 50kW CHAdeMO ? I confirmed no Bolts or Leaves were plugged in at the same time. :)

I decided unplug and move over to charger 3.
8% to 32%, 14 minutes, 20kWh, 127kW peak

Charging 2: Bedford Electrify America charger #3
I plugged in at 33% SoC and it quickly ramped up to 116kW, which is what I would expect for that part of the charging curve. Unfortunately I neglected to log the new session but from what I could tell, everything went just fine. I was busy geeking out over EV stuff and didn't pay much attention til it got almost to the end and I was ready to unplug. I told the car to stop charging when we hit 98% (245 mi on the GoM) and unplugged.
33% to 98%, 50 minutes, 52kWh, 116kW peak

Driving 2: Bedford to Carlisle 82 mi (we didn't need to charge, just use facilities and snacks, but why not let the car charge while we shopped?)
98% to 68%, 82 mi, 68 mph, 1h14min, 3.2 mi/kWh, GoM 245mi->180mi

Charging 3: Carlisle Electrify America charger #4
I plugged in with 68% SoC (180 mile range on the GoM) and it showed 54kW which seemed fine for our purposes. I have found you can't simply hop onto the charging curve at any spot and expect to get full power. Start with low SoC or accept the consequences. I told the car to stop charging when we hit 81% (215 mi on the GoM) and unplugged.
68% to 81%, 14 minutes, 11kWh, 54kW peak

Driving 3: Carlisle to Pottstown (again we didn't need to charge, but we had time and it was nice to not have to plug in and pay for my own electricity when we got home).
81% to 45%, 96 mi, 58 mph, 1h40m, 3.3 mi/kWh, GoM 215mi ->130mi

Charging 4: Pottstown Electrify America charger #3
I plugged in with 45% SoC (130 mi on the GoM) and it showed 81kW, again fine for our purposes. I told the car to stop charging when we hit 85% SoC (229 mi on the GoM) and unplugged.
45% to 85%, 30 minutes, 32kWh, 81kW peak

Driving 4: Pottstown to Lansdale 21 mi. I arrived home with 79% SoC (217 on the GoM)
85% to 79%, 21 mi, 31 mph, 42 minutes, 3.7 mi/kWh, GoM 229 mi -> 217mi

Overall the car did what it was supposed to, the charging infrastructure worked well enough, and it was much more relaxing coming home, knowing that if I made it to Bedford, making it home would be a piece of cake. :cool:

·
White Pro S
248 Posts
How was the bedford sheetz? I'm hitting that one in July, I've got a NH->Pittsburgh trip to make.

Picked up an older used android phone so I could use EVNotify and integrate it with ABRP. Had to screw around with the battery saving features of android to get it to stay active, but so far it seems to work well. While charging at home last night it was constantly updating, then stopped once charge was reached. Very cool.

·
195 Posts
The sweat spot is really 65, but at 70 I still get fantastic kW/m in the high 3.x. This is in AVG 70° F weather and relatively flat terrain, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, DE. All of those states are hilly but my route seems relatively flat.
Where do you charge in WV? I am driving through or into coming from Pittsburgh with our Jetta but am really worried with the ID.4 AWD since I do not see any DCFC anywhere and think I need to drive around.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How was the bedford sheetz? I'm hitting that one in July, I've got a NH->Pittsburgh trip to make.

Picked up an older used android phone so I could use EVNotify and integrate it with ABRP. Had to screw around with the battery saving features of android to get it to stay active, but so far it seems to work well. While charging at home last night it was constantly updating, then stopped once charge was reached. Very cool.
The Bedford Sheetz was quite nice, clean bathroom, friendly staff, enormous selection of pork rinds. If it's a concern I would estimate 45% of the customers wore masks.

I'd be curious to see your charging data, you may want to create a thread about EVNotify.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
213 Posts
Where do you charge in WV? I am driving through or into coming from Pittsburgh with our Jetta but am really worried with the ID.4 AWD since I do not see any DCFC anywhere and think I need to drive around.
Actually not sure. Unfortunately WV is a no go. We visit the pan handle so we have access to chargers in MD and VA but there is literally nothing in WV. It has always been that way, probably because it is a huge coal producing state and somehow EA and EVGo don’t seem to know that a good amount of power outside of CA comes from coal so they shun these “dirty” states. Tesla does the same thing with Solar City. You cannot get them to install solar in WV. Such a shame.

·
White Pro S
248 Posts
The Bedford Sheetz was quite nice, clean bathroom, friendly staff, enormous selection of pork rinds. If it's a concern I would estimate 45% of the customers wore masks.

I'd be curious to see your charging data, you may want to create a thread about EVNotify.
Fortunately I'm vaccinated up so I'm not too worried about such things.

·
195 Posts
Actually not sure. Unfortunately WV is a no go. We visit the pan handle so we have access to chargers in MD and VA but there is literally nothing in WV. It has always been that way, probably because it is a huge coal producing state and somehow EA and EVGo don’t seem to know that a good amount of power outside of CA comes from coal so they shun these “dirty” states. Tesla does the same thing with Solar City. You cannot get them to install solar in WV. Such a shame.
Agreed with all of this. I wonder if there is some kind of law that makes anything related to green technology more difficult. But I don’t know much about WV politics. It’s a beautiful state though.

·
60 Posts
You're not kidding, according to plugshare there's exactly one CCS plug in all of West Virginia, at a Harley Davidson dealer (there must be a good story there) in Morgantown, rated at a mighty 25kW.

And I thought it was bad here in Minnesota. We only have one EA station in the whole state, but at least there are other CCS networks, just not as dense as I'd like, and every one of them tops out at 50kW.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts