Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I was wondering how well the tires on cars with no spare hold up?. I know some vehicles have leak or flat free tires? Just a bit nervous cause I do drive in areas with no cell reception.

·
425 Posts
Just a bit nervous cause I do drive in areas with no cell reception.
Your concern makes sense. I share some worry so I'm not trying to totally dismiss it, but the reality is that the probability of tire issue is low and if you carry a can of 'fix-it flat' that covers another good portion of failures. Many other things can go wrong too that would make a cell phone needed, so the lack of a spare isn't really that special. I'm only trying to help you feel better, not insult your concern.

·
Proud FE owner
1,029 Posts
See page 348 ("Breakdown set") of the Euro owner's manual linked here:

When we get access to the US owner's manual, we'll see if the same equipment is available.

Reactions: corfam

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
I've had a number of vehicles in the modern era with no spare tire (rather 12VDC compressor and can of tire "goop", or run-flat tires). It does take some anxiety-reduction getting used to. But I remind myself how very rarely I actually got a flat in the past several decades. And also that it's far too dangerous these days to change a tire roadside. Better to call AAA and have them do it, or flatbed to a dealer or tire store. And this viewpoint from someone who first changed a tire at 12 years old while a passenger with my Mom, and who has historically also prided myself on always making it home unaided. ;)

·
903 Posts
I've had a number of vehicles in the modern era with no spare tire (rather 12VDC compressor and can of tire "goop", or run-flat tires). It does take some anxiety-reduction getting used to. But I remind myself how very rarely I actually got a flat in the past several decades. And also that it's far too dangerous these days to change a tire roadside. Better to call AAA and have them do it, or flatbed to a dealer or tire store. And this viewpoint from someone who first changed a tire at 12 years old while a passenger with my Mom, and who has historically also prided myself on always making it home unaided. ;)
Ouch. TireRack. My Jetta tires are $158, never had 20" tires before 😮.

·
395 Posts
HI, I was wondering how well the tires on cars with no spare hold up?. I know some vehicles have leak or flat free tires? Just a bit nervous cause I do drive in areas with no cell reception.
I owned a 2010 Corvette for many years. These also do not have a spare tire. The first few long trips I was constantly monitoring the tire pressure, but as time passed the fact of having no spare became a fleeting thought. In all the time I owned the car I never had a flat, and thinking back the last time I had a flat on a car on the freeway was way back 1978.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,203 Posts
I've lived with two no-spare cars now and here my take :

My i3 has very skinny, odd-sized tires, which sometimes are not in stock and need to be ordered. In my 18 months of ownership I've had flat caused by a screw. I was able to air it up and drive home, but could have used my tire plug kit had it been worse.

That said, I purchased an extra wheel and tire from a salvage yard and keep it in the garage, so at least I'm not totally stranded if I'm close to home. But my i3 isn't exactly the road trippin type, so this is an adequate solution for me.

My wife's Volvo S60 also doesn't have a spare, so I installed run flats on it. These have gotten her home twice in 5 years of ownership, both both pothole damage to the sidewall I believe. But I also have gotten the sense that the sidewall on these run flats is more prone to failure than regular tires, and they're more expensive to replace. However, they're a common size, so I can replace them any day of the week.

Nevertheless, I purchased a used Volvo spare off ebay, also to keep in the garage, and have used it once to drive the car to the tire shop.

My previous two cars representing a combined 14 years of ownership, a spare got used only once. My wife's previous two cars I don't think ever used their spares.

My preference is to have a car with a spare, but I'm more comfortable with the new reality, and figure that at least half the population would default to calling for a tow even with a ready to go solution in their trunk.

·
414 Posts
Two years of Model 3 ownership and one key, one nail, and one screw. Yes a key!

I usually plug them myself and it lasts however the plug didn’t fully hold pressure from the key hole so I had to add air weekly. I ended up getting a full set of take-offs from Craigslist or Marketplace so I could have a spare on hand if ever needed. I sold two of the four so it didn’t end up being a major cost. I actually do a six tire rotation to take advantage of having six tires.

Reactions: BlueDH and egsell

·
89 Posts
I hate not having a spare. We just got a lesson in what a pain it is when you get tire damage.

Found my left rear flat in the morning. Had to call AAA. they filled it with air and said we have to get it to tire shop. We did. Lost the car for the day. Had to be patches, but if we needed new tire, my guy would have had to order it. It would have been down for 2 days.

Imagine if we had been traveling and this happened on a Sat night at 10:00 PM. What a nightmare!

I will never buy a car without a spare again.

·
2,203 Posts
My never driven on junkyard spare arrived a few weeks ago. It'll live in the garage most of the time, but can be carried on a road trip if necessary, along with the wrecking yard jack and a plug kit.

Keep in mind any appropriately sized tire will do in a pinch; you're not relegated to an exact match.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts

·
83 Posts
FWIW, "no spare" is a deal breaker for me. That VW is pushing 19" and 20" wheels with low-profile rubber is assuming... I guess... European-quality road surface conditions everywhere.

Now compare to US roads especially in cities with a freeze/thaw cycle in winter - potholes everywhere, even on Interstates. Low-profile tires are especially vulnerable to pothole damage, the small sidewall getting pinched between the wheel rim and sharp pothole edge. That's a recipe for a blowout; no can of fix-a-flat is going to get you moving again. Start thinking about an 0200 drive home from your night out, poorly-maintained freeway through bad neighborhood... kaplooey!

It's a safety issue. If a spare of some sort - like Spin's A8 spare - was a dealer-installed option, then, yeah, we're covered. But to hand you a can of flat-fix and tell you it'll cover most road hazards? Pshaw.

I do like the Modern Spare option... it's pricey, tho'. That sort of protection shouldn't be an aftermarket accessory, however, it should come with the car.

·
2,203 Posts
The table has been set. Spare tires are not on the menu.

Mach E, Polestar, Niro EV? No spare.

i3, Bolt, or Volt? No spare.

Ioniq, Soul and Kona? No spare.

Tesla, as far as I can tell? No spare.

The F150 Lightning will come with a full sized spare. Maybe they'll be a trend setter.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
FWIW, "no spare" is a deal breaker for me. That VW is pushing 19" and 20" wheels with low-profile rubber is assuming... I guess... European-quality road surface conditions everywhere.

Now compare to US roads especially in cities with a freeze/thaw cycle in winter - potholes everywhere, even on Interstates. Low-profile tires are especially vulnerable to pothole damage, the small sidewall getting pinched between the wheel rim and sharp pothole edge. That's a recipe for a blowout; no can of fix-a-flat is going to get you moving again. Start thinking about an 0200 drive home from your night out, poorly-maintained freeway through bad neighborhood... kaplooey!

It's a safety issue. If a spare of some sort - like Spin's A8 spare - was a dealer-installed option, then, yeah, we're covered. But to hand you a can of flat-fix and tell you it'll cover most road hazards? Pshaw.

I do like the Modern Spare option... it's pricey, tho'. That sort of protection shouldn't be an aftermarket accessory, however, it should come with the car.
You are absolutely right! That's why I will never go far from home without a spare. This is the second car I've had to purchase a spare for.

·
903 Posts
The table has been set. Spare tires are not on the menu.

Mach E, Polestar, Niro EV? No spare.

i3, Bolt, or Volt? No spare.

Ioniq, Soul and Kona? No spare.

Tesla, as far as I can tell? No spare.

The F150 Lightning will come with a full sized spare. Maybe they'll be a trend setter.
My wife's Chrysler Pacifica had a spare tire option but she wanted the in car vacuum. Fix-a-flat and an air pump is what she has.
lt's not just EVs that aren't carrying a spare of some kind.

·
2,203 Posts
My wife's Chrysler Pacifica had a spare tire option but she wanted the in car vacuum. Fix-a-flat and an air pump is what she has.
Same with my wife's 2016 Volvo S60, and a 2013 Acura TSX wagon I owned briefly. Frankly, Volvo's omission shocked me. You know, Volvo, all about safety.

Wonder if that vacuum can do double duty as a tire pump?

I need to see with my own eyes how mounting the spare I bought under the ID.4's false floor fits. Looks from other posts here like it can be carried practically in a temporary fashion for road trips.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
I need to see with my own eyes how mounting the spare I bought under the ID.4's false floor fits. Looks from other posts here like it can be carried practically in a temporary fashion for road trips.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
But you still have to empty the vacuum so I've never seen the point. Then again my wife and daughter pretty much just figure a vacuum atomizes debris since they've never had to clean out one. :ROFLMAO:

·
903 Posts
But you still have to empty the vacuum so I've never seen the point. Then again my wife and daughter pretty much just figure a vacuum atomizes debris since they've never had to clean out one. :ROFLMAO:
I think she's used it twice. I end up using the shopvac, when back home, to clean up the sand after goin downey ocean 🙄.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts