Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1st Edition
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took delivery of our FE last Monday (eight days ago). It’s been a fantastic car to drive, we both absolutely love it.

When we took delivery, the salesman told us that they had discovered a seemingly minor issue that morning as they were doing final prep: the rear view mirror mount had broken. As the mount is cemented to the windshield, the windshield would need replacing, which we were assured would be a couple of hours to complete. No problem. We were scheduled for service on Friday, drop off in the morning, pick up in the afternoon. Later the same week, we were asked to bring it in the night before to assure that they could complete the job in one day, as they would need to run scans on all of the forward sensors. No problem, I dropped the car off Thursday night, they gave me a loaner, and off I went.

Friday afternoon I get a call, they‘re taking a long time to get the windshield work done, they had to disconnect a lot of wiring, plus the interior surrounds. Can I leave the car over the weekend so that they could finish up on Monday? No, I want the car for the weekend. Well, they might not have it put back together by Friday night, but they do, barely, and I agree to drop off Monday morning so that they can finish the scan of the front sensors, should take four hours.

Monday, car dropped off in the morning, should just be a few hours. Monday afternoon, sorry, we had to update our equipment before we could start, we’ll be done tomorrow. OK.

Tuesday: we found an error in a sensor, we’re trying to find the part in the US, then get it sent to us, can we keep your car for a few more days? No, I’ll drive it as is and bring it back when the part is available.

My takeaway: this is a brand new car, the dealers have zero experience with them, they have no idea how long repairs are going to take. My “couple of hours” job from last week has involved 20 hours in the shop, several long round trips to the dealer, and still no idea when the car will be completely serviced or how long the car will be in the shop once the parts are available. Had I left the car with the dealer over the weekend and this week, it would easily have spent more time in their service bay than on the road.

Also: this was a bad time to decide to try to live with one car.:oops:

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
56 Posts
It does seem there will likely be a few issues before the dealers are fully up to speed. Hopefully your car will be completed soon and won't have any other visits to the shop for a long time to come!

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
393 Posts
They weren't willing to set you up with a loaner? The delay sucks, but I'd be worried about them rushing to get the car put together.

·
5 Posts
It's hearing issues such as this that is making me think that it's perhaps too early to commit to the ID.4. Teething issues with the car combined with dealers not up to speed has me worried. Per the website, my Pro S is apparently now in the US so ..... I don't need a new car right now. and am thinking about postponing my purchase for a bit. Just sayin'.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
393 Posts
That's the consequence of focusing attention on one-off isolated incidents such as this dealer ham-fisting a mirror bracket, vs. the great majority of owners getting along great with their new cars. There will be problems. There are also bugs. Don't allow yourself to be convinced that every ID.4 will cause a blood clot.

·
1st Edition
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I agree, this is my case and it’s not going to be anyone else’s. Any dealer can butt fumble a new car delivery, and any service department can over promise results.

I‘m assuming as more vehicles are out there, and dealers get more stick time with them, that repair times are going to shorten up and estimates become more realistic.

Also, at least VW cares. We had a couple of Subarus, and Subaru NA didn’t really care if the car worked or the customer was happy.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
434 Posts
Never forget that the internet is a giant echo chamber. Mosquitoes are made into elephants, and the real elephants go unseen. In other words, what @nigela and @Nai3t said above.

·
Super Moderator
140 Posts
It's hearing issues such as this that is making me think that it's perhaps too early to commit to the ID.4. Teething issues with the car combined with dealers not up to speed has me worried. Per the website, my Pro S is apparently now in the US so ..... I don't need a new car right now. and am thinking about postponing my purchase for a bit. Just sayin'.
Going on 6 weeks and 2700 miles with my FE. No issues other than one screen freeze up that corrected itself. We love this car. We love the way it drives, the way it handles and the way it looks. If you don't buy that Pro S I'm sure someone else will be very happy with it!!

·
White Pro S
73 Posts
Internet forums make any car look like it's two shades away from falling apart at any moment.

Honestly I'm just glad that we can't argue about air filters. Tdiclub in the old days never could let that issue die.

·
White Pro S
73 Posts
Really? I still talk to people on there from 20 years ago and they're all into it. It's spiritually very much the same sort of car.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
732 Posts
Really? I still talk to people on there from 20 years ago and they're all into it. It's spiritually very much the same sort of car.
I miss the old meet-ups that we used to have.

·
White Pro S
73 Posts
And tdifest! I organized one of them. It was a great time. I loved my old Passat. The later tdis just got more and more refined and finicky with the stupid fuel pumps. Give me a '96 that can run bio over that nonsense.

·
2021 1st
448 Posts
It's hearing issues such as this that is making me think that it's perhaps too early to commit to the ID.4.
Well...if that's your perspective it won't ever be the right time to buy an ID4 from VW. These are the same issues many of us had in regards to their diesels for the past few decades so it's not an issue of teething problems.

Historically, I'd say that if you can fix the car yourself or deal with issues here and there then it's a fantastic car to buy. If you're going to be depending on the dealership to fix it and rely on them to know what is going sideways with the car it's probably not a brand that will bring you great joy over the lifetime ownership.

·
White Pro S
73 Posts
It really depends on what you get. Mine was sitting at order locked and suddenly jumped to "arriving in the US" because someone cancelled their reservation. So there's really no way to tell.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
43 Posts
If I may ask, how long did it take to get from reserved to "in the US" ?
As @dg4prez said above, it really depends on a lot of factors, but basically now that the FE's have been manufactured and mostly (if not all) delivered, the Pro's (S included) are getting much quicker turn arounds now, and the process is only improving. Just remember that VW is new to making their logistics even partly transparent to consumers, so don't expect to know every step of the way beyond the portal's wheel.

Reactions: Spin

·
118 Posts
I agree, this is my case and it’s not going to be anyone else’s. Any dealer can butt fumble a new car delivery, and any service department can over promise results.

I‘m assuming as more vehicles are out there, and dealers get more stick time with them, that repair times are going to shorten up and estimates become more realistic.

Also, at least VW cares. We had a couple of Subarus, and Subaru NA didn’t really care if the car worked or the customer was happy.
Like all forums some tend to post on the bad issues. Anything you buy from cars to computers can have problems. It is a very small percentage that have problems and I feel for the ones that do, very frustrating buying a new car and having it in shop for 2 weeks or longer. We have had ours for 2 weeks. Delivery went great and had no issues software or other, that some have posted on the forum. (Knock on wood). So far one of the best cars we have owned. This is our 6th VW

·
6 Posts
Going on 6 weeks and 2700 miles with my FE. No issues other than one screen freeze up that corrected itself. We love this car. We love the way it drives, the way it handles and the way it looks. If you don't buy that Pro S I'm sure someone else will be very happy with it!!
Mine has been great, initial issue with Apple Carplay, but I believe that was my fault, all good and love mine!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
732 Posts
As @dg4prez said above, it really depends on a lot of factors, but basically now that the FE's have been manufactured and mostly (if not all) delivered, the Pro's (S included) are getting much quicker turn arounds now, and the process is only improving. Just remember that VW is new to making their logistics even partly transparent to consumers, so don't expect to know every step of the way beyond the portal's wheel.
The one wild card in there is what happens with cancelled reservations? Up until a certain point, they can easily be reallocated and reassigned, and this might cause people to unexpectedly jump ahead.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts