Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I handwash my 1st Edition I notice the quality of the gaps between body pannels is not very good. The quality of the paint leaves a lot to be desired. Have a squeak coming from front fender if I push on it as it moves.. My previous car was a 2011 CC and it beats the ID4 even at that age. Perhaps they are trying to push these cars down the line to quickly. Not up to German car quality for sure

·
21 Posts
Interesting. I've actually been very impressed with the fit and finish of the ID.4. The paint finish is impeccable. The gaps seem very even and consistent. The only squeak I've had was coming from the rear of the car and after I pushed on the rear center red plastic panel (lights) to fit it into place (I've heard that others have received their car with this piece not sitting well), the squeak went away. Now there's no squeaking or rattling at all. I also had a CC and find this car's fit and finish just a little better.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
957 Posts
Other than the rear light bar, the only fit issue that jumps out at me is the rear quarter panel to rear fascia joint. One panel sits slightly higher. But I saw it on every ID.4 on the lot, so I think it's just how they're turned out.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,571 Posts
I get some rattles from the rear but discovered it's only when one or both rear seatbacks are dropped. With the seatbacks upright no issues.

Panel alignment and general fit & finish looks quite good to me (and I'm coming from Audi). Of course much plastic used to reduce weight and that's always harder to make look right.

The paint is not quite as good, but then I didn't expect premium. And honestly at this point I'm not looking to be so anal about fine scratches, etc. Re-channeling my Jeep mentality.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
I get some rattles from the rear but discovered it's only when one or both rear seatbacks are dropped. With the seatbacks upright no issues.

Panel alignment and general fit & finish looks quite good to me (and I'm coming from Audi). Of course much plastic used to reduce weight and that's always harder to make look right.

The paint is not quite as good, but then I didn't expect premium. And honestly at this point I'm not looking to be so anal about fine scratches, etc. Re-channeling my Jeep mentality.
Thanks for the tip about having rear seats down, I sometimes notice a very faint rattle coming from the rear area if I have music turned off, but I also usually drive with a seat folded down, so I'll have to test if the noise goes away with the seat up!

·
213 Posts
I have a Dusk Blue Metallic FE in the 0143XX VIN range. Very impressed with the absence of any rattles, squeaks, or thuds on bad pavement. The gaps are very good. The hood is very slightly misaligned out on the driver's side.

The paint has a lot of orange peel over most of the car. A VW buddy of mine says it means there's a lot of paint on it. ;) The one paint defect I missed on delivery is a straight line surface paint cut about the length of a single-edged razor blade on the hood, it is surrounded by swirls like somebody thought they could buff it out. It's not awful. I'm annoyed with myself for missing it because I thought I went over every inch of the car when I picked it up!

I'm impressed with the German build quality.

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
I hand wash my ID.4 at least weekly. From an assembly POV, I'm not seeing any issues. All panel gaps are even. No rattles whatsoever.

From a paint perspective, I'm a little disappointed. Minor brush-ups when passing through the garage are showing as scratches (easily removed when washing). I'm also seeing paint transfer when I open my door against the drywall in my garage - for which I'm getting some 3M PPF edge guard. I bought a car cover which I might have to use for extended stays in the garage during high-traffic times for the occupants of my residence.

I had a 2012 CC and it was stellar in all regards. I just bought a Puebla-built 2019 Jetta SEL Premium CPO which will be a good point of reference.

Reactions: Huey52

·
63 Posts
I am not seeing any issues with fit or finish. Infact thinking to get second one for wife. We moved away from Tesla model 3 due to poor quality and customer service

·
15 Posts
I noticed the panel under the front VW logo on my car also squeaks when pressed on. Also have a rattle occasionally coming from the rear. Paint quality is better than my 2016 GTI.

·
324 Posts
In addition to the badly fit rear light bar, many of the plastic trim pieces on the car are poorly fit. Two examples:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts