Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Did you actually get scheduled charging to work from something like 30% to 80% with it starting at least a couple hours after you plugged it in?
I think that would be a first if so. I keep my FOB in a Faraday cage well away from the car and have never gotten a 50+% (30 - 80%) scheduled charge to work.
50% to 80% yes. Not as low as 30%

Just on the side.
My. Friend with a tesla model x has to put his FOB in a metal box for shielding at home to avoid communication with the car which would prevent the car from shutting down.
Another FOB thing on the ID4.
When I have the FOB in the same pocket as my motorola cell phone the foot initiated hatch door actions do not work.i learnt this when coming back from store with both hands full馃榾

Thank you all for the comments, gives me something to do while my spouse is out driving the car around ;)

Good Idea - I just checked and it is already off - I toggled it on and then off just in case.

That's essentially what I'm doing but my time is 7AM - the goal is to hit the lowest rates, have the charge completed to 80%, and have the battery warm-up done while plugged in.

The ID has this capability with the "Charge immediately to %", mine is set to 20% so that I have around-town miles even if it is high $$$ charging time

I have put working directly with the EVSE on my to-do soon list.

The real bug/gotcha in my process is currently that the "ID.4 Waiting to charge" state is interrupted if anyone takes the key fob near the vehicle. This problem should affect the EVSE operation as well. I'd love to have others test my observations and I'll keep looking for creative solutions.
What I have found is that having the fob near the car does affect the EVSE scheduled charging. I have a charge point flex which is set to charge at the least expensive time. I also have time of departure disabled (in the car) I just plug into my car without having the fob near by and it works every time. I cannot go near the car with the fob while the car is waiting to charge.

ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
The solution to that is to set a departure time in the car's settings ahead of time. Then it's always ready to go when you're ready to leave, and it uses wall power to do so rather than the battery.
Yes, that is prudent - problem is that my GTX only charges with one phase when anything is scheduled (preferred times or departure times) - as soon as I delete all charging scheduling, it charges at full whack.

I had this checked by a technician and he confirmed it but cannot explain it, other than it being the software.

My presonal theory: the car goes to sleep and does not "wake up" to initiate the charging -for example, as soon as I unlock the car during scheduled charging, it springs into action.0

Yes, that is prudent - problem is that my GTX only charges with one phase when anything is scheduled (preferred times or departure times) - as soon as I delete all charging scheduling, it charges at full whack.

I had this checked by a technician and he confirmed it but cannot explain it, other than it being the software.

My presonal theory: the car goes to sleep and does not "wake up" to initiate the charging -for example, as soon as I unlock the car during scheduled charging, it springs into action.0
are you on 2.3 or 2.1?

2.3, so I am disappointed that it is not working, as I thought they had sorted out the charging kinks
mine works fine with 2.3
When using delayed chargingIt charges with as slow speed as it can get away it usually, as long as it can make the scheduled departure time. It really charges as slow and late as possible. Though now that it is below 8 degrees here, it seems to charge more with 11kw.

with direct charging, it doesn鈥檛 know when you want to leave, so then it charges at full whack. Same with when you go and sit in the car, then it thinks you are soon going to leave and thus charges as fast as possible.

Can you tell me what settings you are using?
Did you set preferred charging times, departure time , climatization? Is reduced ac charging enabled?
Does your connection from phone to car work well currently?

BTW: what I see is that if my key is close it unlocks the car and charging cable and thus pauses the charging, so that might explain the disruption if the key is close. But I really need to stand within 3 meters of the car for that to happen.

mine works fine with 2.3
When using delayed chargingIt charges with as slow speed as it can get away it usually, as long as it can make the scheduled departure time. It really charges as slow and late as possible. Though now that it is below 8 degrees here, it seems to charge more with 11kw.

with direct charging, it doesn鈥檛 know when you want to leave, so then it charges at full whack. Same with when you go and sit in the car, then it thinks you are soon going to leave and thus charges as fast as possible.

Did you set preferred charging times, departure time , climatization? Is reduced ac charging enabled?

BTW: what I see is that if my key is close it unlocks the car and charging cable and thus pauses the charging, so that might explain the disruption if the key is close. But I really need to stand within 3 meters of the car for that to happen.
I had set departure times every weekday at 07.20, but it stayed at 2kw the whole time and never made it to more than 40-50% over the course of 17 hours.

The technician tested everything and the only thing that enabled proper charging was to both remove preferred charging times and scheduled charging - it is not a big issue, as we pay the same for electricity regardless of the timing and only get power from windmills at all times, but it does bother me that the battery cannot be properly prepared for departure.

I had set departure times every weekday at 07.20, but it stayed at 2kw the whole time and never made it to more than 40-50% over the course of 17 hours.

The technician tested everything and the only thing that enabled proper charging was to both remove preferred charging times and scheduled charging - it is not a big issue, as we pay the same for electricity regardless of the timing and only get power from windmills at all times, but it does bother me that the battery cannot be properly prepared for departure.
The connection between phone and car is fine, I do not use reduced charging and I had originally also set it to climatise prior to departure.

mine works fine with 2.3

mine works fine with 2.3

What are your settings?

mine works fine with 2.3

BTW, I had set the departure times directly from the car, removing any issues caused by the We Connect ID app not connecting properly to the car - but to no avail

I guess you recieved 2.3 from factory like i did?

I've set the initial settings via the car and often tweak departure times, (initial and final) charge level and climate functions via the app.
have 2 schedules, one for weekdays, one for weekends.
departure times:
weekdays: 7 am (top option in app)
weekends: 9 am (second option in app)

preferred charge times 22:00 - 6:00 (top option in app)
direct charge: 30%
final charge: varies from 70% to 100% depending on need

Have seen the continuous low speed charging once, but then the communication module was wacky (comm error on main screen) and i didn't have app access. when that resolved itself a day later again, the issue was resolved.
My idea is that a lot around charging is managed via the comm module (maybe even through the VW backend), and if it doesn't work properly it drops back to a slower fallback method.
resetting it via fuse 19 (pull, wait 30 seconds or so and put back, while not sitting in the seat, and with the car "off") could be a worthwhile debugging step.

I guess you recieved 2.3 from factory like i did?

I've set the initial settings via the car and often tweak departure times, (initial and final) charge level and climate functions via the app.
have 2 schedules, one for weekdays, one for weekends.
departure times:
weekdays: 7 am (top option in app)
weekends: 9 am (second option in app)

preferred charge times 22:00 - 6:00 (top option in app)
direct charge: 30%
final charge: varies from 70% to 100% depending on need

Have seen the continuous low speed charging once, but then the communication module was wacky (comm error on main screen) and i didn't have app access. when that resolved itself a day later again, the issue was resolved.
My idea is that a lot around charging is managed via the comm module (maybe even through the VW backend), and if it doesn't work properly it drops back to a slower fallback method.
resetting it via fuse 19 (pull, wait 30 seconds or so and put back, while not sitting in the seat, and with the car "off") could be a worthwhile debugging step.
Ab fabrik, yes - and those were my almost exact settings.

Thanks for the suggestion - will give it a go.

@Jon B. Ross any positive results?
I have now had tech support and let the car be shutdown over night with no charging, reset departure times, and pligged it in last night.

Everything started out OK: it did not initially charge, and, once it did, it charged at a lesser rate - so far so good. Then in the early morning, it suddenly tapered off and only made it to 69% at departure (set for 80).

So, this is now a job for my dealer.

I have now had tech support and let the car be shutdown over night with no charging, reset departure times, and pligged it in last night.

Everything started out OK: it did not initially charge, and, once it did, it charged at a lesser rate - so far so good. Then in the early morning, it suddenly tapered off and only made it to 69% at departure (set for 80).

So, this is now a job for my dealer.
FYI: after months of working great, mine all of a sudden stopped working correctly 2 days ago. The car was also charging to slow, and/or to late. When i calculated the expected finish time, it would finish 5 hours after the scheduled departure time.
From debugging the data that the WeConnect API delivers, i saw that the car internally thought it was 5 hours earlier internally as what was the real time. So that matched!
Sat in the car, the time on the display was correct. checked the api again, saw that the time got updated to current time.
next night: same issue, internal clock was off again according to the api. So the module responsible for charging somehow looses track of time.
Sat in the car, set the time of the car from "auto" to "manual" and the following charge worked as it should again.
Going to keep an eye on it now the following days and see if it is coincidence that this influenced the issue.

next step would be cycling the F19 fuse, but hopefully that will not be needed.

FYI: after months of working great, mine all of a sudden stopped working correctly 2 days ago. The car was also charging to slow, and/or to late. When i calculated the expected finish time, it would finish 5 hours after the scheduled departure time.
From debugging the data that the WeConnect API delivers, i saw that the car internally thought it was 5 hours earlier internally as what was the real time. So that matched!
Sat in the car, the time on the display was correct. checked the api again, saw that the time got updated to current time.
next night: same issue, internal clock was off again according to the api. So the module responsible for charging somehow looses track of time.
Sat in the car, set the time of the car from "auto" to "manual" and the following charge worked as it should again.
Going to keep an eye on it now the following days and see if it is coincidence that this influenced the issue.

next step would be cycling the F19 fuse, but hopefully that will not be needed.
Thank you very much for your update - I will try the same approach. Spoke to my dealer, and they have brought the issue to VW central, as we are a few owners experiencing issues with the scheduled charging - will most likely be fixed with the new 3.0 software update some time this October or November (here-say at this point).

21 - 38 of 38 Posts