Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like many folks on here, my reservation and ordering experience hasn’t been all that great in terms of the lack of communication from VW or my dealership. I had a wrinkle occur late last year (details on that below) and my car that left the factory in December still hasn't arrived in mid May, so I reached out to VW Customer Care to see if they could confirm that my order was in good shape.

At first, the person I spoke with just confirmed that my car had arrived in the US and was at port, but after I asked if they could dig a little more, they responded with this:

From the ID.4 team, they stated that they can confirm that the status you are seeing is correct for your ID.4. However, we're waiting on a final software update we need to install prior to shipment to dealers. We expect to be able to install the final software version in July and then immediately release all ID.4s to dealers.
They went on to say that I'd be getting an email when the car heads towards the dealership and that they'd put a message in my Owner’s Portal to keep me informed.

From that I gather that a decision was made to hold off on delivering new orders, or that maybe they caught an issue with my particular car and determined that the software update would solve it. I'm not exactly sure, but if anybody else has been stuck on status code 30-1 for a weirdly long time, this may explain the hold up.

For anybody interested, here's my reservation experience in detail:
  • I placed my reservation on April 4, 2021.
  • I decided to change the color on May 20.
  • My order locked on June 21.
  • This is where things get weird. Sometime in the early fall my preferred dealership was acquired by a bigger dealership and while they kept the same car brands and the service center, the name was changed.
    • Because of this, when I logged into the Owner’s Portal my order status seemed normal, but the preferred dealership displayed an error (probably because it was removed from the database of dealers and this is how the website handled that).
    • I was concerned and since I was bringing my current Passat in for service I figured I'd ask. While I was waiting on my car I walked up to the sales floor and talked to an associate at the dealership. They said they didn't know what was going on and that I should reach out to VW Customer Care.
    • I spoke with VW Customer Care and they followed up letting me know that in the situation of my dealership changing ownership, their system hadn't automatically updated my reservation and they would need to take some steps to correct that.
    • VW Customer Care refunded me my $500 deposit, then charged me again, as if we went through the ordering process and got right to the lock step.
    • By October 27 my reservation was back on track.
  • I don't remember the timeline for steps 15-1 through 20-2, but I remember 15-1 took a while and then it quickly moved through the steps to get to 20-2.
  • On December 3, my order changed to 30-1.
  • Again things got weird. In early February I saw my status go to 30-2 and the next time I checked it was at 35-1.
  • I was expecting to pick up the car in February, but a couple weeks later my status went back to 30-1.
    • Based on the whole dealership changing situation I chalked it up to an error in the system. I thought that either it accidentally got moved up to 35-1 and then someone caught it and moved it back, or that my car was involved in the tanker that sunk in the Atlantic (which didn't add up as to why my status made it to 30-1).
  • Again, getting service done on my current car, I spoke to someone at my dealership to see if they could find any info on why my status changed. The person there pulled up what looked like their version of the Owner’s Portal and it just showed my VIN, my confirmation number, and my status. I believe they could have looked at another source, but the person I spoke with seemed uninterested in really digging into my question.
  • At this point I decided to wait it out until I reached out to VW Customer Care and got that info above.
At this point it's disappointing to know that my car is in the US and that it's just sitting there waiting for a software update, however, I'm lucky that I have a car that I can use in the mean time. I'm also hoping that waiting a little longer might make it so car supply catches up a bit and I have less risk of the dealership marking my car up due to supply/demand (we'll see how that goes).

Finally, I just wanted to note that VW Customer Care has been helpful and good to work with, so any frustration I've had has been due to the lack of communication from VW (more emails along the way would be nice), the fact that I had to do the leg work to solve the dealership change, and that my dealership—under new management—has become much less helpful and engaged throughout the process.

Anyway, hope this helps anybody in a similar situation.

·
2 Posts
I think I may be in same situation. My car supposedly left the factory in December. I heard nothing from Volkswagen for months. A few weeks ago I contacted the dealership and was told the car has been in port of Houston for some time. It's still sitting there with no identified transport date.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,760 Posts
Sorry to hear yours is stuck. Your dealer has access to the dealer portal at vwhub.com, see https://www.vwhub.com/overview.html where they can give you much more info for each step like dates for load on rail, load on truck, and ETA for you. But with the delay for an update you describe, it sounds like all cars may be held until july when they finally deliver the last of the 2021s!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,947 Posts
15 or so months ago most all of our First Editions were in extended port hold for v2.1 software update, Customs, simultaneous release. History repeats itself.

One nugget gleaned from above for the rest of us is projected v3.1 (or whatever) software update in July? Well, my prior June projection was just a non-SWAG anyway. ;)

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @SunWizard. I knew from reading other posts that dealerships do have more information available, and I feel like the person I was working with either didn't care or didn’t know.

Since the dealership changed owners, the person who I originally test drove the ID.4 with had left and they sold the one demo unit they had. My thought is that nobody in the current staff has EV or ID.4 experience, because this person I recently talked to was who they assigned as my point of contact.

The ironic part is that the other VW dealership in town had just recently put up a billboard with a King’s Red ID.4 on it.. Too bad it's too late to switch dealers.

@Huey52, the July nugget was what got me to share here. Before posting I searched the forum to see if anybody else was running into this and thought this sounded familiar:

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,334 Posts
This whole story seems very strange. This is pure speculation on my part but does anyone think it is possible that the car was used as a replacement for a car lost on the Felocity Ace? Of course, the vin you have is for a 2021 if it was built before Dec of last year. I wouldn't put it past VW to pull something shady and fill your order with a 22. Again, just pure speculation.

·
332 Posts
I'm thinking about putting in another reservation just in case something happens to make the next model year (whatever model year it would be) significantly better. I assume you can have multiple reservations at a single dealer with a single email address?

·
348 Posts
Just like many folks on here, my reservation and ordering experience hasn’t been all that great in terms of the lack of communication from VW or my dealership. I had a wrinkle occur late last year (details on that below) and my car that left the factory in December still hasn't arrived in mid May, so I reached out to VW Customer Care to see if they could confirm that my order was in good shape.

At first, the person I spoke with just confirmed that my car had arrived in the US and was at port, but after I asked if they could dig a little more, they responded with this:

They went on to say that I'd be getting an email when the car heads towards the dealership and that they'd put a message in my Owner’s Portal to keep me informed.

From that I gather that a decision was made to hold off on delivering new orders, or that maybe they caught an issue with my particular car and determined that the software update would solve it. I'm not exactly sure, but if anybody else has been stuck on status code 30-1 for a weirdly long time, this may explain the hold up.

For anybody interested, here's my reservation experience in detail:
  • I placed my reservation on April 4, 2021.
  • I decided to change the color on May 20.
  • My order locked on June 21.
  • This is where things get weird. Sometime in the early fall my preferred dealership was acquired by a bigger dealership and while they kept the same car brands and the service center, the name was changed.
    • Because of this, when I logged into the Owner’s Portal my order status seemed normal, but the preferred dealership displayed an error (probably because it was removed from the database of dealers and this is how the website handled that).
    • I was concerned and since I was bringing my current Passat in for service I figured I'd ask. While I was waiting on my car I walked up to the sales floor and talked to an associate at the dealership. They said they didn't know what was going on and that I should reach out to VW Customer Care.
    • I spoke with VW Customer Care and they followed up letting me know that in the situation of my dealership changing ownership, their system hadn't automatically updated my reservation and they would need to take some steps to correct that.
    • VW Customer Care refunded me my $500 deposit, then charged me again, as if we went through the ordering process and got right to the lock step.
    • By October 27 my reservation was back on track.
  • I don't remember the timeline for steps 15-1 through 20-2, but I remember 15-1 took a while and then it quickly moved through the steps to get to 20-2.
  • On December 3, my order changed to 30-1.
  • Again things got weird. In early February I saw my status go to 30-2 and the next time I checked it was at 35-1.
  • I was expecting to pick up the car in February, but a couple weeks later my status went back to 30-1.
    • Based on the whole dealership changing situation I chalked it up to an error in the system. I thought that either it accidentally got moved up to 35-1 and then someone caught it and moved it back, or that my car was involved in the tanker that sunk in the Atlantic (which didn't add up as to why my status made it to 30-1).
  • Again, getting service done on my current car, I spoke to someone at my dealership to see if they could find any info on why my status changed. The person there pulled up what looked like their version of the Owner’s Portal and it just showed my VIN, my confirmation number, and my status. I believe they could have looked at another source, but the person I spoke with seemed uninterested in really digging into my question.
  • At this point I decided to wait it out until I reached out to VW Customer Care and got that info above.
At this point it's disappointing to know that my car is in the US and that it's just sitting there waiting for a software update, however, I'm lucky that I have a car that I can use in the mean time. I'm also hoping that waiting a little longer might make it so car supply catches up a bit and I have less risk of the dealership marking my car up due to supply/demand (we'll see how that goes).

Finally, I just wanted to note that VW Customer Care has been helpful and good to work with, so any frustration I've had has been due to the lack of communication from VW (more emails along the way would be nice), the fact that I had to do the leg work to solve the dealership change, and that my dealership—under new management—has become much less helpful and engaged throughout the process.

Anyway, hope this helps anybody in a similar situation.
Maybe they are all waiting for 3.0 or 3.1, which is to be available in "second half of the year"?

Dave

·
ID.4 Pro-S AWD
24 Posts
Maybe they are all waiting for 3.0 or 3.1, which is to be available in "second half of the year"?

Dave
Well, my dealer called today and our white Pro-S AWD is finally on their lot.

Reserved 12/31/2020, locked 6/21/21, built 12/11/21, Houston 4/14/2022. We can't get up to Denver to pick it up until next weekend, though. What's another 7 days after 499 waiting?

'21 cars are still arrivng

·
22 Posts
Well, my dealer called today and our white Pro-S AWD is finally on their lot.

Reserved 12/31/2020, locked 6/21/21, built 12/11/21, Houston 4/14/2022. We can't get up to Denver to pick it up until next weekend, though. What's another 7 days after 499 waiting?

'21 cars are still arrivng
Glad to hear you can see the finish line. I'll be likely just over a year reservation to delivery and I couldn't imagine having to wait another 100+ days!

I'm a little curious if we won't see some port holds for these 2022 models coming ashore soon. I think we all hope they ship with 3.0, but would they put 2022s out there with a software version that apparently isn't ready yet for all the 2021s already driving around?

·
22 Posts
Do we know that it is “not ready”?
Most of us definitely don't know if the software is or isn't ready and anyone that does know certainly isn't at liberty to share. That being said, I would say it's a fairly safe assumption at this point with all of the well documented delays in software updates that something isn't ready. What that something is certainly could be a wide range of things (i.e., regulatory delays, software delays, battery replacement stock, dealership equipment...). My curiosity on what we see happen very soon with 2022s dropping in the US any day now would certainly help us narrow down what the causes of the delays could be though.

·
22 Posts
Just making sure to point out that most don’t know why there is a delay. I wouldn’t say it’s “not ready” since it is currently in some vehicles on the road. 😉
I hope someone's paying you well for all that positive spin you contribute! ;)
I could've certainly been a little more specific with my original post to clarify the point.

·
669 Posts
I hope someone's paying you well for all that positive spin you contribute! ;)
I could've certainly been a little more specific with my original post to clarify the point.
The VW PR department pays me very well. 😂
But for the record, I am not attempting to put any spin on anything. Just giving facts where I am able to. For sure, I can’t comment on a lot, but I try to get some info out to you all where I can.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts