Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the front brackets are not being installed at the factory, as VWoA seems to be saying is the case. Here's an example of a newly-delivered (to a dealer) ID.4 in Europe that does not have a front plate bracket mounted. Further evidence that the ports in the U.S. are messing this up (or, all the 1st Editions had them for some reason, but maybe Pro and Pro S models don't). If VW isn't installing the front plate brackets for the European region, where all countries require them, then why the heck would they install them for the U.S. where more than 1/3 of our states don't require front plates?? I'm just triggered from the front plate debacle with the MkV R32. VW ended up offering every buyer the option of getting a new front grille that didn't have the front plate bracket mounted. However, that isn't possible with the ID.4 since the plate drills directly into the front bumper. I won't lie, I'll be pissed if my $50k AWD Pro S w/Gradient shows up with a front plate bracket mounted to the bumper. Even in states that do require front plates, there are much more attractive and less destructive options for putting the front plate on (the tow hook brackets come to mind as an easy, no-damage solution). OK, rant over!

·
10 Posts
Agreed, no front plate where I'm from and I would want to ensure there is no bracket installed, looks so much better.

·
267 Posts
Recently Pro arrival has front plate bracket. They may very well be put on at the factory for US bound units. Less risk of forgetting to put the bag inside the car.

·
134 Posts
Recently Pro arrival has front plate bracket. They may very well be put on at the factory for US bound units. Less risk of forgetting to put the bag inside the car.
View attachment 2826
This is very curious to me. As someone who prepped more VW's for delivery than I care to remember, none came with a front bracket installed other than the R32 which caused issues.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I chatted with VW Customer Care and this is what they said:

I added that I thought the was a nice gesture and some may appreciate the band-aid, but I asked what was being done to correct the issue altogether, given how many thousands of ID.4's will inevitably end up in places that don't require front license plates, including more than 1/3 of U.S. states, and this was Lennon's response:

I also shared my thoughts on VW's Facebook page and Twitter. I really hope what Lennon said is true, that VW is working on correcting the problem. And I sure hope this is resolved by the time my AWD goes into production!

·
16 Posts
My 1st Edition came with the front license plate bracket, but no rear license plate bracket. The dealership was going to just drill into the rear bumper until I stopped them. Seems like some sort of bracket should fit in the recessed area with two screws but I haven’t found one. What are others doing? Does anyone know what the recessed area in the rear is for?

·
370 Posts
My 1st Edition came with the front license plate bracket, but no rear license plate bracket. The dealership was going to just drill into the rear bumper until I stopped them. Seems like some sort of bracket should fit in the recessed area with two screws but I haven’t found one. What are others doing? Does anyone know what the recessed area in the rear is for?
I'm unaware of a rear bracket. All the up close demos I've seen as well as my car have the plate mounted directly to the bumper. Same with all the photos I had studied over the past 6 months. I've seen the recess you are talking about, but never understood it's purpose. You might be correct that the recess is intended for receiving a bracket...at least in some markets.

·
33 Posts
Apparently the front brackets are not being installed at the factory, as VWoA seems to be saying is the case. Here's an example of a newly-delivered (to a dealer) ID.4 in Europe that does not have a front plate bracket mounted. Further evidence that the ports in the U.S. are messing this up (or, all the 1st Editions had them for some reason, but maybe Pro and Pro S models don't). If VW isn't installing the front plate brackets for the European region, where all countries require them, then why the heck would they install them for the U.S. where more than 1/3 of our states don't require front plates?? I'm just triggered from the front plate debacle with the MkV R32. VW ended up offering every buyer the option of getting a new front grille that didn't have the front plate bracket mounted. However, that isn't possible with the ID.4 since the plate drills directly into the front bumper. I won't lie, I'll be pissed if my $50k AWD Pro S w/Gradient shows up with a front plate bracket mounted to the bumper. Even in states that do require front plates, there are much more attractive and less destructive options for putting the front plate on (the tow hook brackets come to mind as an easy, no-damage solution). OK, rant over!

View attachment 2818
if my AWD shows up later this year with the front bracket or the holes in the bumper I walk. I hate front plat brackets and holes they leave behind. When my wife got her RDX a few years back dealer swapped with out of state dealer and the car came in with front bracket. I made them swap bumper of deal was off, they swapped and we took the car.

·
33 Posts
I chatted with VW Customer Care and this is what they said:

View attachment 2830

I added that I thought the was a nice gesture and some may appreciate the band-aid, but I asked what was being done to correct the issue altogether, given how many thousands of ID.4's will inevitably end up in places that don't require front license plates, including more than 1/3 of U.S. states, and this was Lennon's response:

View attachment 2831

I also shared my thoughts on VW's Facebook page and Twitter. I really hope what Lennon said is true, that VW is working on correcting the problem. And I sure hope this is resolved by the time my AWD goes into production!
WTF I don’t want anything on the front, screw vanity plate.

·
397 Posts
Just took delivery on my ID4 1st edition and they did exactly that. Drilled four holes, inserted some plastic nipples and then used metal screws to attach the plate. Looks fine. What I find interesting is that there is a plate bracket on the front. Mine had an Id.4 plate attached to the bracket. I have already removed it. My state does not require front plates and I am happy about that4 because I do not like anything messing up the looks of the front.

·
397 Posts
I'm unaware of a rear bracket. All the up close demos I've seen as well as my car have the plate mounted directly to the bumper. Same with all the photos I had studied over the past 6 months. I've seen the recess you are talking about, but never understood it's purpose. You might be correct that the recess is intended for receiving a bracket...at least in some markets.
The recess has two bolts to hold the middle of the bumper to the frame. When the plate is installed it covers the recess.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WTF I don’t want anything on the front, screw vanity plate.
My thoughts exactly, and I conveyed as much to the customer care rep I was chatting with, as well as their Twitter messenger.

·
370 Posts
So painful to read.
It does make me cringe. I suppose VW doesn't want to integrate pre-defined screw holes into the rear bumper so that they don't need to have separate bumper part numbers for different regions with different mounting hole locations, but why VW doesn't have some type of gage / fixture that center locates with the recess is beyond me. Given the instructions shown I'm sure some dealer has screwed it up (no pun intended). At a minimum it leaves reasonable room for error.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's a guy on Facebook who's working on a rear plate mount that uses the two bumper screws found inside the rectangular recess on the rear bumper. That should alleviate some of the pain for at least the rear plate mounting.

·
25 Posts
There's a guy on Facebook who's working on a rear plate mount that uses the two bumper screws found inside the rectangular recess on the rear bumper. That should alleviate some of the pain for at least the rear plate mounting.
I was getting ready to cobble something together in Fusion 360 and 3D print something I can mount using those same bolts. If someone else is working on it I might just wait. I still have another 40ish days before my temp tag expires. That said, I'm still royally pissed off about this front plate. They can pop holes in the front bumper to mount a front plate bracket that not everyone needs, but just tell you to drill holes in your bumper. Great job on that one VW. Like the others here, I don't want some stupid looking "vanity" plate that's probably just says ID.4 or something stupid.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here’s a link to the guy on Facebook who’s making one for the rear plate.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts