Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am due to pickup my First Edition on Monday but this forum scares me. There are so many reports of software bugs and problems that I wonder if the car just isn't ready for "prime time" except for those willing to put up with problems. I realize the forum is largely used for problem-solving.

But, are there any buyers out there who aren't experiencing lots of buggy problems? How serious are these beta issues? Maybe I should wait until this car is more fully baked?

This is a terrific forum but it's scares me

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
947 Posts
Even though I've had various issues they've been minor, throughly enjoying the car.

As a happy BMW i3 owner, the ID.4 improves on that concept in many ways. The tech is great, ignoring the occasional screen lockup and somewhat disorderly layout of functions, both of which I'm confident will be fixed over the next months.

Car Net is beyond bare bones but the most important feature, preconditioning the cabin on a cold morning or hot afternoon, works fine.

I've experienced nothing that should scare you away from owning this car.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
The only issues I've had are:

Electrify America App wouldn't install on my iPhone 12. - Resolved 2 weeks post delivery (~ 2-weeks ago).

Car-Net App ceased to function at my 30-day anniversary. -Resolved 4 days later (April 21st)

Charging with scheduling off and releasing the plug using fob-unlock could be deemed "work arounds", but not a big deal for me.

That's it. Mostly just App related stuff and in one case possibly iOS involved. The vehicle, as a vehicle, drives exceptionally well, with a very tight turning radius. It's comfortable and the cargo volume is ample. I almost immediately got used to 'B' regen mode. We have a thread dedicated to what folks like; perhaps read thru that one for a different mindset.
New owners: This is what we like about the ID.4

btw: Are you truly "scared" or just emphatic expression? (I once had a Marine Squadron Commander who wouldn't tolerate we then junior officers to otherwise common vernacular express "I'm afraid to say Sir ..." -"Marine Officers are never afraid!"). ;)

·
22 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am due to pickup my First Edition on Monday but this forum scares me. There are so many reports of software bugs and problems that I wonder if the car just isn't ready for "prime time" except for those willing to put up with problems. I realize the forum is largely used for problem-solving.

But, are there any buyers out there who aren't experiencing lots of buggy problems? How serious are these beta issues? Maybe I should wait until this car is more fully baked?

Ok so if your current car is an ICE not an EV, don't sweat it the id4 is a great car. If your current car is an EV you will be disappointed that the id4 is basically a gas car that has a battery, easiest way I could describe it. It has all the goodies a normal car has, but nothing EV related really works well, mainly the App is worthless, and the center screen is like something from a BMW or a Land Rover it's not intuitive, its a mess. Why you should buy it: It's short but roomy (great for garages and parking), it has a fantastic ride and turning radius, it is super quiet if you need to take calls or like quiet rides this is miles better than any Tesla. If you need to take >10 long trips >300 mile trips, get a Tesla. Otherwise this is a fantastic vehicle, good build quality, looks great, and is not slow as other people say it is peppy.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
166 Posts
Test driving the car put a lot of anxieties I had gathered from reading people's experiences here to bed. Some of the major things reported on this forum just didn't bother me when I tried to pay attention to them during the test drive. Opinions will vary, so get in there for yourself! I know there will be some bugs to sort out, but I loved driving the ID.4 so much it put everything I read on this forum in perspective for me.

·
184 Posts
Hi everyone,

I wouldn’t worry about. With the ID.4 having OTA update ability any issue should be resolved and any future updates are completed with out going to the dealer. They are done over the air. From everything I have read good and bad it’s a great car. It was awarded the 2021 car of the year and just announced the 5 star crash rating. Ours should also be here in the next few days. It has been on a truck for the past 8 days making its way for Port Houston to Arizona. The dealer expects it soon. Can’t wait

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
131 Posts
My advice would be to do whatever you can to convince your dealer to let you take your preordered car (not the dealer demo) on an overnight test drive. That way you can put some miles on your car and try charging it at home. The only caveat is that I found some of the functions are not fully enabled (such as XM radio, I believe) until after you purchase your car, but maybe your dealer can put it in demo mode.

We have had no problems with our car, though there have been a few things we've had to learn how to do, even though we came from a Leaf. On the plus side, VW appears to be taking issues fairly seriously, so as long as you have a decent dealer you should expect any problems to be worked on.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
Electrify America, Car-Net and VW Customer CARE have all been very responsive in my case(s). In fact I just got a note from the latter cross-checking that the Car-Net IT folks had resolved my outage issue (which again they did).

I don't think any of us are completely happy with the various App's, but you could say that about many non-automotive App's. It's just that this vehicle is such an tablet-phone interfaced one we expect more.

Again, as a vehicle (that just happens to be an EV), which imho should still be the primary consideration, it does everything I need it to and that very well.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
I haven't experienced any major problems. The only thing I've personally experienced was some loss of assistance features, which turned back on during the trip. Nothing seen that has me regretting the purchase. If I had been active on the forum before I purchased mine, I would not have been worried, though. I would expect bugs needing to be worked out (and pleasantly surprised when I didn't encounter as many as I expected).

·
144 Posts
Hi everyone,

I haven't received my Pro yet, so I don't know, period. But if you are sitting on the fence and are also one of the few who worry about car safety, then you might want to check out the Mach e IIHS crash test results that just came out. The results are extremely good, incl automatic braking for pedestrian safety. The ID.4 crash test results from EuroNCAP were also very good; however, the European ID.4s have center air bags which aren't on ID.4 coming to America. This article also mentions how safe EV's are based on insurance statistics. Maybe keep an open mind. The ID.4 has more ground clearance, costs less, smaller turning circle, and a pano roof shade, etc. The Mach e has a frunk and smaller wheels (I think) which arguably may be a plus, and is available with more range, etc.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
704 Posts
We don't have as many miles on ours as @Spin does, but the car drives great every time. Beautifully quiet, peppy, fun, and reliable. Absolutely zero complaints about these aspects, and lots of joy.
The settings and apps, as stated, are another story. They are totally secondary to me and my wife, and there will be over-the-air updates with fixes. On the whole, this forum likely overstates how many issues we each notice and how often they occur.

·
8 Posts
I ended up cancelling my FE once it arrived. I too was a little concerned about some of the feedback, and I was miffed when the dealer quoted a lease MF that was 2x the one from VW credit, however, the big issue was range and lack of high speed charging in the Midwest. I make a 235 door to door 1-way drive at least 4-6 times a year. The car would be charged leaving my home, but there isn't a level 3 charger for 225 miles. There was 1 level 2 charger at the halfway point. Adding 30% more time to a trip that I make frequently was the last straw. When the original range estimate was 300 miles, I was all in. Fingers crossed that with all of the models hitting the market in the next 24 months, range and charging network will improve.

·
144 Posts
I ended up cancelling my FE once it arrived. I too was a little concerned about some of the feedback, and I was miffed when the dealer quoted a lease MF that was 2x the one from VW credit, however, the big issue was range and lack of high speed charging in the Midwest. I make a 235 door to door 1-way drive at least 4-6 times a year. The car would be charged leaving my home, but there isn't a level 3 charger for 225 miles. There was 1 level 2 charger at the halfway point. Adding 30% more time to a trip that I make frequently was the last straw. When the original range estimate was 300 miles, I was all in. Fingers crossed that with all of the models hitting the market in the next 24 months, range and charging network will improve.
The Mach e extended range RWD would probably work for your trips, even in cold weather. I just drove one and also an ID.4 back to back, and I liked both of them, although they both have things that I don't like, like maybe grabby brakes for one.
In some ways I like my Bolt EV better.

·
ID.4 FE GW
497 Posts
Ok so if your current car is an ICE not an EV, don't sweat it the id4 is a great car. If your current car is an EV you will be disappointed that the id4 is basically a gas car that has a battery, easiest way I could describe it. It has all the goodies a normal car has, but nothing EV related really works well, mainly the App is worthless, and the center screen is like something from a BMW or a Land Rover it's not intuitive, its a mess. Why you should buy it: It's short but roomy (great for garages and parking), it has a fantastic ride and turning radius, it is super quiet if you need to take calls or like quiet rides this is miles better than any Tesla. If you need to take >10 long trips >300 mile trips, get a Tesla. Otherwise this is a fantastic vehicle, good build quality, looks great, and is not slow as other people say it is peppy.
This is really well said!

I bought an ID.4 and am disappointed that it is not a good electric car - I don't think that it leverages a number of the big advantages that electric cars have over ICE ones. My wife likes it because she thinks it is a good car, electric or not.

I sold my old car (Toyota RAV4 EV), thinking that the ID.4 would replace it. The smoothness, quiet, large cargo space (easily caries a bike plus other stuff) and quickness of the RAV4 EV lured me into liking it. I'm not a "car person" and generally don't like driving them if at all avoidable. My wife is driving the ID.4 and I'm driving her old car (2013 Chevy Volt) when driving is unavoidable.

·
144 Posts
I haven't experienced any major problems. The only thing I've personally experienced was some loss of assistance features, which turned back on during the trip. Nothing seen that has me regretting the purchase. If I had been active on the forum before I purchased mine, I would not have been worried, though. I would expect bugs needing to be worked out (and pleasantly surprised when I didn't encounter as many as I expected).
That's all good. Are you happy with the brakes?

·
30 Posts
I’ve had car since April 1st snd have driven 2000 miles both locally and on some short trips. One minor screen freeze that resolved quickly. No regrets and you should have no hesitation . Good luck snd enjoy a great new car!

·
163 Posts
I test drove the ID.4 and liked it. But I don't drive much these days, and my 2012 Prius keeps running fine. If my Prius were to die or have big problems, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an ID.4 to replace it. I hope to go all-electric in the next 6-9 months, for there's no big rush for me.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts