Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a 1st Edition white / grey just sitting on the lot, about an hour away from me. There are 11 dealers a closer distance to me, but over the past two weeks I've been regularly searching most of Northern California for available inventory, and those that got 'em want too much.

So I was shocked when I cold-called Sunday afternoon and was told they'd sell it for the sticker price, despite other dealerships unashamedly quoting $3k to $5 markups.

I texted a couple of closer-by sales reps I'd been in communication with to see if they wanted to price match and save me the trip; none did.

The one "shenanigan" is that this dealership does the window etching and some type of clear decal paint protection to every single car in inventory, the tune of $600. This had me at a loss because I felt like I wasn't in a position to negotiate, and this is pure profit. So I tucked my tail.

But I lucked out, sort of. At signing, the finance guy made it known he had to sell 12 more annual prepaid maintenance visits for the dealership to meet a VOA monthly quota, so he offered me 8 years at cost, for $495. This in lieu of the clear protective tape (deduct $350), no markup on their end. It's not worth much to me, but it'll be good for a few brake fluid services and some cabin air filters. I don't feel as ripped off by this as opposed to paying for strips of vinyl tape.

The puzzling thing was the qualification for the $1500 California Clean Air Reward. This dealership isn't listed as a participant. My sales guy texted me that they were. But when I arrived, at first they tried to link the $1500 credit to their outrageous financing. I thought the deal was going to go south, but they eventually came back to me and gave $1500 plus the VWFS promotional 1.85% rate. I have a feeling the $1500 came as a dealer discount because there was no paperwork for the state credit anywhere in my signing stack, and just checking now, they're still not on the website.

Also, oddly, the dealer's website description listed a black interior. When I pulled some photos off the web Sunday night to show to my wife how that looked with the white steering wheel, she said basically "oh helz no!" I called at closing to verify and was told the interior was grey. Phew.

Anyhow, after 3 hours I was driving away with my wife's new ride, a little bit of a mixed bag but a mostly positive experience, and I definitely feel fortunate to have stumbled into this deal.

·
56 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I also walked in to a blue one being parked into the showroom when I took my daughter to pick up her Atlas. I looked at the window sticker and it had no markup. I asked for pricing and when they came back with the markup a made a big stink about it because it was not on the window. We went back and forth and finally negotiated. At finance, he was given a number lower than we agreed on, I asked twice if it was correct and he said yes, so I rolled with it. Nothing like getting an extra discount.

·
229 Posts
@Nai3t how high was the markup other dealers asked and how many cancelled FEs did you find? So far I’ve found one on the peninsula at the regular price. Somehow I would have expected more cancellations.

·
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Redwood City, one of the San Jose dealers, Dublin, and Newark. Newark had the nerve to tell me "other dealers are making these up 10 and 15 thousand" to justify his $5k markup. Boardwalk started at $3900 and eventually offered 3 or possibly 2. I think Dublin quoted 4.

But this inventory is fluid. My first call to Tracy was a strike out. So the ID.4s on the lot are changing all the time. If you can call, make contacts at as many dealerships as you can stomach, then check in with them by text every couple days, they'll know you're serious.

My sense is the hype-driven demand is not quite meeting dealer expectations but what do I know? There should have been a waiting list in the way of me getting ahold of this one. Tracy told me only one other person called about the one I was buying while I was doing paperwork. And maybe end-of-month sales deadlines worked in my favor.

·
229 Posts
$10k to $10k? Holy shit, that's insane. It's also telling that a lot of VW dealers have not qualified for the many EV incentive programs.

Now I've heard this, I wish the "Voltswagen" April fools' day joke was real so they could start selling the cars directly. We all know all manufacturers will burn the dealership system down to the ground some point in the future, the introduction of EVs would have been a great excuse.

·
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I immediately called out his BS $10k statement. His 5k ask was the highest anybody quoted.

The problem I see with direct to consumer sales, if relying on the website order model, is that consumers are emotional and we largely buy our cars that way. Many won't wait or won't even look if they can't have it now. They'll go to the guy who has a showroom and charge more to sit in it and bring it home today. Admittedly, that was most of the fun of finding this ID.4 — I could have just clicked "order" and waited a few months, no games.

·
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... I visited Polestar. They had exactly two cars on the floor., a 1 and a 2. We test drove a third. What I didn't like was I felt like I had absolutely no room to negotiate. I didn't know what invoice price looked like even though I'm suspecting these are being sold through a Volvo sales manager at Marin Volvo, sort of behind the green curtain. I had no way to play one dealer off of another. Heck, I couldn't even bait their sales rep to checking in with me. It really put the brakes on the momentum, my wife was ready to commit despite some shortcomings, and we weren't even considering the ID.4 because we've both never really found SUV/CUV body styles appealing. But even this ID.4 launch left me at a loss. I've never paid sticker for a car! And to feel happy about it afterward? I dunno, give me a guy trying to make a sales quota and inventory on the lot and I'm sure I could have done better for myself.

·
229 Posts
Oh wow, you might be the first person I've met who likes haggling and negotiating with dealers. I can see why Tesla or Polestar isn't for you. Even though Tesla and Polestar showrooms could in theory carry more inventory, it would just drive up the price. Sure, some people are willing to invest the time and energy to play the game and get the best deal, but the dealership model is so inefficient, other people will pay for it.

·
229 Posts
Come to think of it, you're actually he second. I have a friend whose father used to be a car salesman. After his last purchase the dealer asked him to never come back. That must be a good sign. 😂

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
My real estate broker would go to dealers on weekends to practice his negotiating skills with no intention of buying. Never understood the guy but got me some great deals.

Reactions: Kitt

·
12 Posts
I found a 1st Edition white / grey just sitting on the lot, about an hour away from me. There are 11 dealers a closer distance to me, but over the past two weeks I've been regularly searching most of Northern California for available inventory, and those that got 'em want too much.

So I was shocked when I cold-called Sunday afternoon and was told they'd sell it for the sticker price, despite other dealerships unashamedly quoting $3k to $5 markups.

I texted a couple of closer-by sales reps I'd been in communication with to see if they wanted to price match and save me the trip; none did.

The one "shenanigan" is that this dealership does the window etching and some type of clear decal paint protection to every single car in inventory, the tune of $600. This had me at a loss because I felt like I wasn't in a position to negotiate, and this is pure profit. So I tucked my tail.

But I lucked out, sort of. At signing, the finance guy made it known he had to sell 12 more annual prepaid maintenance visits for the dealership to meet a VOA monthly quota, so he offered me 8 years at cost, for $495. This in lieu of the clear protective tape (deduct $350), no markup on their end. It's not worth much to me, but it'll be good for a few brake fluid services and some cabin air filters. I don't feel as ripped off by this as opposed to paying for strips of vinyl tape.

The puzzling thing was the qualification for the $1500 California Clean Air Reward. This dealership isn't listed as a participant. My sales guy texted me that they were. But when I arrived, at first they tried to link the $1500 credit to their outrageous financing. I thought the deal was going to go south, but they eventually came back to me and gave $1500 plus the VWFS promotional 1.85% rate. I have a feeling the $1500 came as a dealer discount because there was no paperwork for the state credit anywhere in my signing stack, and just checking now, they're still not on the website.

Also, oddly, the dealer's website description listed a black interior. When I pulled some photos off the web Sunday night to show to my wife how that looked with the white steering wheel, she said basically "oh helz no!" I called at closing to verify and was told the interior was grey. Phew.

Anyhow, after 3 hours I was driving away with my wife's new ride, a little bit of a mixed bag but a mostly positive experience, and I definitely feel fortunate to have stumbled into this deal.
Good info. Are we not allowed to post the dealership names? I live in SoCal and actively looking for a cancelled ID4 FE.,else just have to wait for my PRO S order. CLosest VW dealer have a $5K markup for "Market Adjustment".

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
440 Posts
Good info. Are we not allowed to post the dealership names? I live in SoCal and actively looking for a cancelled ID4 FE.,else just have to wait for my PRO S order. CLosest VW dealer have a $5K markup for "Market Adjustment".
As far as I know there is no rule against posting dealer names, I wish more people would when they talk about dealer things.

·
2021 Chevy Bolt
61 Posts
"Voltswagen" could just have their own showrooms like Polestar and Tesla have. I don't think many people will miss dealerships who try to screw them in every possible way possible
I really hope that car dealerships are one day viewed only from the rear view mirror.
I want them to be just as outdated and anachronistic as the Pony Express.

·
214 Posts
I'm thinking they bought it new from the dealer to resale as used? So not only is it marked up by over $10K, the owner won't get the three years of free charging. I have to hope that no one is stupid enough to buy this from them and they end up losing money on the car.
Based on their website, yeah, they're a used dealer not a VW dealer. So this isn't so much a situation of VW needing to get involved and more just an indication of how shady some of those unaffiliated dealers can be.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts