Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a new camera to install on my ID4 and there is not front 12v power. Has anyone added one to their car in the front, and if so do you have info on what you did?

Im thinking something like this 12v and USBA

·
564 Posts
I bought a new camera to install on my ID4 and there is not front 12v power. Has anyone added one to their car in the front, and if so do you have info on what you did?
Im thinking something like this 12v and USBA
I mounted my dash cam in the upper left windshield corner, out of sight, and ran the supplied 13' power cable across the doors inside the upper frame molding, down the C column into the "trunk" and used the 12v accessory outlet there and a 12v to USB adapter that my dash cam uses.
No fuse box, no splicing, easy routing, pretty much plug and play and the 12v outlet is ignition switched 😁.
The dash cam looks ginormous but it's 2"x1.5", optical illusion.

Voila 👍.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
I didn't realize/consider that either. Well done. The only potential downside is that the OBDII socket in many vehicles is located where you'd be apt to knock it unless very careful.

Some folks complain about the hump under the steering column for same knee knocking reason.
Yup. I've an obdII splitter, and into that I've my Bluetooth obdII module and an obdII to USB adaptor for the dash camera. The adaptor also has a toggle to turn off with the ignition or constant power. AliExpress sorted me out.

·
564 Posts
I didn't realize/consider that either. Well done. The only potential downside is that the OBDII socket in many vehicles is located where you'd be apt to knock it unless very careful.

Some folks complain about the hump under the steering column for same knee knocking reason.
Why would you need a splitter? Except for diagnostic testing when else is obdii used on a BEV?
I'm hoping that the OTA update will bring the battery readouts/conditions needed for optimum charging to the vehicle infotainment screen.

·
11 Posts

On RHD (not sure about LHD) the obdii is pretty well tucked away, and there's some flexi "carpet" material which has so far been able to hold everything at bay.

Why would you need a splitter? Except for diagnostic testing when else is obdii used on a BEV?
I'm hoping that the OTA update will bring the battery readouts/conditions needed for optimum charging to the vehicle infotainment screen.
OBDII tells me what kW the car is pulling when charging, I just have it plugged in all the time. Connecting to it seems to wake the car up too, and can help kick in scheduled charging (the "start charging" via the app doesn't work for me).

·
540 Posts
The dongle with a phone app you can see the battery temp, the KW charging, also use as a meter for real time KW draw or regen amount when driving. Many other readouts are available, and not many people have been looking into what else it can do yet since EVnotify is still crude, and the advanced apps like Torque Pro need some complex one-time setup to find out what is possible.

Reactions: BlueDH

·
2021, VW ID.4 Pro S, Moonstone Gray
18 Posts
I used a USB c cord 10 ft long to power my car camera. It was a USB C to mini USB.
Can you link this?? Been looking everywhere for one, I was going to buy a usb to mini 15ft and then a usb c to usb a adapter

1 - 20 of 36 Posts