Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
18 Posts
There is easily-accessible switched 12V behind the rearview mirror. No need to run wires down the pillars for radar detectors or cameras. Red/yellow is +, brown is -. I used mirror taps from Blendmount to steal power from it.

I’d like to know more about this setup if you can please.

·
42 Posts
There is easily-accessible switched 12V behind the rearview mirror. No need to run wires down the pillars for radar detectors or cameras. Red/yellow is +, brown is -. I used mirror taps from Blendmount to steal power from it.
Thanks for chasing this down. I'm planning to splice the wires, use a couple of WAGO lever nuts, and connect them to a 12 volt to USB converter.

·
190 Posts
I’d like to know more about this setup if you can please.

·
8 Posts
I mounted my dash cam in the upper left windshield corner, out of sight, and ran the supplied 13' power cable across the doors inside the upper frame molding, down the C column into the "trunk" and used the 12v accessory outlet there and a 12v to USB adapter that my dash cam uses.
No fuse box, no splicing, easy routing, pretty much plug and play and the 12v outlet is ignition switched 😁.
The dash cam looks ginormous but it's 2"x1.5", optical illusion.

View attachment 3887

View attachment 3888

Voila 👍.
Is it difficult to run the cable down the door molding and the C pillar? Thank you

·
562 Posts
Is it difficult to run the cable down the door molding and the C pillar? Thank you
I have harbor freight trim tools and it was easy to access behind the plastic VW pieces. I had to lower the driver side rear seat. In the rear area are some vents just above the 12v switched outlet. At that point I ran the USB plug out a vent hole into a 12v to USB adapter.😁

·
28 Posts
Like BlueDH I also went with Garmin; mine's the 67W but since the 46 they've all got the exact same 2"x1.5" size and same mounting magnet (mini is smaller width & taller height). I like mine out of driver's view and centered, seems the center bump behind the mirror is well suited for a left-of-bump mounting. This is as high and tight as I wanted: decent access to its RH buttons, clips the upper-right image corner a little but not at the all-important traffic level.

First pic shows view to me while driving; 2nd shows mounting detail; 3rd shows USB-to-12V connection - same as BlueDH but Garmin included a smaller adapter.

·
562 Posts
@bobdavisnpf and @BlueDH, how did you get past the B pillar? I can’t get it to open up at the top.
I routed it down the b pillar front door frame inside trim weather strip through the inside plastic trim between the doors, backup the rear door frame inside trim to the c pillar trim down into the hatch area out existing vents and into the 12v outlet.
Thinking back now maybe it wasn't so easy peasy 😬. Pictures not in any order, just typical routing behind door frame rubber weather strip.

·
70 Posts
Weird how we are both using the garmin wiring and I measure it out and it doesn’t reach if I do it the same way you did! Gahhh, car wiring isn’t fun.

·
28 Posts
Weird how we are both using the garmin wiring and I measure it out and it doesn’t reach if I do it the same way you did! Gahhh, car wiring isn’t fun.
I also didn't have a long enough wire to do that path, I think because I placed the 67W in the center of the windshield. Instead, at the B pillar I stayed up top, went inside the weatherstrip to the trunk side panel, then fished the wire inside that panel to the vent slots. Fishing was easy to the rear-most slots, fishing from slot to slot even easier.

Tucking into the B pillar seam (from front door weatherstrip to rear door weatherstrip) was tight but do-able with fingers only. Tucking into the A pillar (windshield to driver door weatherstrip) was even tighter and would require use of my trim tools. I put that off for now, and just left it laid tight along the seam. I won't bother with that since I'll probably add a tiny 12V-USB adapter and go into the mirror - as described by Fehlsport.

the tiny adapter I'm considering: hiletgo DC-DC Buck Step Down Module 6-24V 12V/24V to 5V 3A USB Charger Module
515L8VqvQ1L.AC_US1000.jpg (1000×1000) (ssl-images-amazon.com)

·
70 Posts
I have the garmin parking mode cable that I wasn't going to use because I preferred not to tap into the fuse box, but I ended up doing that and it worked out nicely. I just hope they're in the right spot.

·
14 Posts
The dongle with a phone app you can see the battery temp, the KW charging, also use as a meter for real time KW draw or regen amount when driving. Many other readouts are available, and not many people have been looking into what else it can do yet since EVnotify is still crude, and the advanced apps like Torque Pro need some complex one-time setup to find out what is possible.
Which obdii adapter do u use for that readout? The readout is on the phone app?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts