Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Charge Point EVSE in the garage. I have a 2021 FE RWD with the new software upgrade. I get cheap electricity from 9pm-9am. 60 AMP circuit. Charges at 11.5 kwh

For over a year I set the time on the Chargepoint EVSE to turn on at 9pm and off at 9 am, and if I needed to charge during the day I would just set the schedule off.
It was great. I could plug in when I got home from work, and it would just start charging at 9 pm. When I turn the heat on in the morning while having coffee, it would also turn the charger on to charge while it was heating.

I thought, for some dumb reason, after a year, to try the infotainment charging controls and it has messed everything up. I set it for "preferred times" and toggled it to charge at preferred times, and it starts charging when I plug it in, regardless of time. I set it for departure time where it computes when it needs to turn on. It turned on right away.

I turned off the infotainment and went back to letting the EVSE schedule charging, and it would only charge at 2 kwh!! I turned all scheduling off in both places and that made things even worse.

What the heck is going on? Thanks,.

I just want to plug in when I am home for the night and have confidence my car will start charging when electricity is cheap and will charge at the proper rate.

Thanks.

2023 ID.4 Pro RWD Pure Gray
168 Posts
I also have a Chargepoint Home Flex at my house. I have been using it for over three years, last 15 months with my ID4s. I never trusted the scheduled charging within ID4s software. Like you the Charepoint scheduler is my go to. That has never been a problem. Just a little FYI if you unplug it and plug it back in right away it will overrride the schedule charging to start it right away.

As for the 2 kwh. That has happened to me maybe 3 times over the last 15 months. Not sure what caused it. My guess it is the ID4 asking for a slower charge for some reason. Each time the next day it would work just as it should. Chargepoint support is really good so if it you continue to have the problem see if they can look into it.

Reactions: alectimmerman

39 Posts
I have a Charge Point EVSE in the garage. I have a 2021 FE RWD with the new software upgrade. I get cheap electricity from 9pm-9am. 60 AMP circuit. Charges at 11.5 kwh

For over a year I set the time on the Chargepoint EVSE to turn on at 9pm and off at 9 am, and if I needed to charge during the day I would just set the schedule off.
It was great. I could plug in when I got home from work, and it would just start charging at 9 pm. When I turn the heat on in the morning while having coffee, it would also turn the charger on to charge while it was heating.

I thought, for some dumb reason, after a year, to try the infotainment charging controls and it has messed everything up. I set it for "preferred times" and toggled it to charge at preferred times, and it starts charging when I plug it in, regardless of time. I set it for departure time where it computes when it needs to turn on. It turned on right away.

I turned off the infotainment and went back to letting the EVSE schedule charging, and it would only charge at 2 kwh!! I turned all scheduling off in both places and that made things even worse.

I just want to plug in when I am home for the night and have confidence my car will start charging when electricity is cheap and will charge at the proper rate.

Thanks.
seems like you are not alone. Seems like a chargepoint issue to me.

242 Posts
When you leave the car the infotainment screen is asking which charging type you want to follow. There it often days 'immediate' but you can click and change to your preferred local settings. Maybe?

· Premium Member
755 Posts
Preferred and Departure times have worked well for us.

If I plug in the car while it is still awake and before the Preferred time, the "dumb" EVSE does come on right away. However car is only drawing a small amount of electricity to just maintain what the awake car is using. A few minutes later when the car goes to sleep the EVSE quits adding electricity. Then at the preferred time it starts back up and completes the charge.

9 Posts
Preferred and Departure times have worked well for us.

If I plug in the car while it is still awake and before the Preferred time, the "dumb" EVSE does come on right away. However car is only drawing a small amount of electricity to just maintain what the awake car is using. A few minutes later when the car goes to sleep the EVSE quits adding electricity. Then at the preferred time it starts back up and completes the charge.
This has been my experience too. When I scheduled the departure time charging the car takes a tiny charge (according to my Juicebox) and then stops charging within a few seconds. Then it sits until it needs to charge.

What I noticed is that if I plugged my car in at 7 pm but my Juicebox was sent to TOU (Time of Use) from 11 pm - 8 am the car's scheduled charge did not work. I think that for the scheduled departure time charging the car needs to see that it is plugged into a working charging and stay plugged into a working charging. When the Juicebox didn't start sending power to the car until 11 pm it messed up the car's setting and scheduled departure charging did not work.

24 Posts
I've had some of these issues with Chargepoint and 3.1 software. What works for me: set both the VW and the Chargepoint to start exactly at 9pm. Then make sure you've selected "charge at preferred time" on VW. At 9pm when everything kicks in, I get 10 kwh.

· Premium Member
755 Posts
set both the VW and the Chargepoint to start exactly at 9pm
That is good idea. I wonder if an offset time would work as well. Example: set their Chargepoint to 9pm and the car to 9:05 pm. That way it would reduce the chance of the car looking for power before Chargepoint fires up.

66 Posts

Thanks.
The Goodbye screen is the key:
Try this: push the button on the steering column or open the door to make the Goodbye screen appear:
Gadget Technology Electronic device Display device Multimedia

Touch the "is greater than" symbol to make the next screen appear.
Gadget Font Technology Display device Multimedia

Select whatever scheme you have set up and check-marked in the Charging screen.

You are now golden. This took me days to figure out. Good Luck!

153 Posts
Apparently scheduling charging with Grizzl-e does not work. It seems that if charging stops with this EVSE, it won't restart unless the handle is pulled and reinserted. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts