Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2022 ID4 is a week old today and it's had a very busy first week, 657 miles. I thought about replacing my 2014 Touareg X TDI with the ID4, but decided to keep it as a backup among several other reasons only the Touareg can handle.

I figured the 657 miles @ 27mpg with A/C on in the Touareg at $5.00 gal in Diesel (which as of today is going back up), I've saved $122 driving the ID4 this week. I have DC fast charged twice, 27 and a 30 min session and the rest changed at work at Level 2. So far charging cost is 0.

At this rate, by the time Tax time rolls around in April, I should save almost $3750 in fuel, which is equivalent of the first half of the 2023 ID4 "built in the USA" ID4 credit. With the interest rate hike today and Diesel going up again, I may reach that $3750 mark sooner.

How much are others here saving switching to the ID4?

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,640 Posts
My wife averaged $160 fueling up her S60 over the 5 years of owning (thanks, fuelly!), but is around $35-$40 per month now charging off-peak at home. We very infrequently take advantage of EA's free offer, though every now and then I'll drive the ID.4 to work with the express intent of charging it (for free) on a slow day.

I was averaging $225 per month with the allroad, but plug in the i3 for free at work. Maybe that's not fair, but nothing beats $0. I do wish the myVW app had a charging history feature like the my BMW app does, which is location aware and allows me to plug in rate schedules. At a glance I can see how many charging session and kWh I charged in any given month, start and stop time, beginning and ending SOCs, and easy exporting to a spreadsheet where I can tally the totals costs for the month. Super useful? No, not for me anyway, but nice to have.

·
45 Posts
I traded in a Dodge Charger that was avg 23 mpg. My commute is 116 daily essentially ensuring I was filling up 2 times a week at @ $4.20/gal totaling $140+ weekly. Picked up the ID4 and came out looking like a genius. No my only gas bill is the $100 I put in the Wife's Truck once a month.

·
1,526 Posts
How much are others here saving switching to the ID4?
That’s great... Today is my one year anniversary on my ID.4 (email from my dealer confirms this)… and I just put gas in my Golf today… I’ve spent $391.31 on gas since we took the ID.4 home… (until I get a second EV, I need to drive the Golf occasionally when my wife takes the ID.4 and we both need to go someplace at the same time).

At the same time, my electric bill has actually gone down since I got a heat pump water heater to replace our old electric water heater a few months before I got the the VW ID.4… that may have been the best $1,500 investment I’ve ever done… a lot cheaper than a car and more than offsets the electricity the car uses ;)

·
1,383 Posts
33,000 miles in a year and a half. I had been driving a paid off Mazda 3 and put more than 1/2 down on the FE. 4 cents a mile charging at home and free charging at EA or a few free level 2's that I know. Easily saving most of the payment on fuel, more on maintenance.

·
AWD Pro S, Dusk Blue - Purchased 10/11/2021
91 Posts
We are approaching 26,000 since Oct 2021 on our Pro S AWD. In that time we took a 4,500 down the east coast from Maine to Florida and back and paid $0 for electricity thanks to EA and free destination chargers. In Maine, our at-home charging costs have equated to a bit less than $.07/mile. Our 2015 Highlander gas costs $.21/mile, give or take depending on current gas prices. I have put about 50 gallons in the Highlander since last Thanksgiving. A rough estimate of our savings from home charging and free on-the-road charging is $3,500 to $4,000. I was tracking this pretty closely using the data provided by our JuiceBox 40, but figured we are way ahead on EV vs ICE fuel costs and have "let it go". Suffice it to say, the costs associated with operating an EV are much lower that operating an ICE vehicle and I haven't try to compute the savings in regular maintenance.

·
2019 Leaf SL+, waiting on an ID.4 AWD ProS, Dusk Blue
597 Posts
From April 21 through March 2022 we paid ~$2500 for gas for two cars. I sold my Buick in March and bought my Leaf. Since then (April - Sept 2022) we've paid $505 for gas. When my second EV shows up (which could be as soon as Oct 4th) then that might be the end of gas buying, except for the lawn mower.

At the same time, my electric bill has actually gone down since I got a heat pump water heater to replace our old electric water heater a few months before I got the the VW ID.4… that may have been the best $1,500 investment I’ve ever done… a lot cheaper than a car and more than offsets the electricity the car uses
I agree about the heat pump hot water heater. It is saving us money on hot water plus we don't need the dehumidifier in the basement anymore--that thing made the electric bill skyrocket. So even though I am charging an electric car 2-3x/wk, my electric bill has gone down. Our heat pump hot water heater cost $1600 but we got an $850 rebate from Efficiency Maine. We also installed a heat pump in the kitchen. While that does affect the electric bill during heating season, we are saving a bundle on propane, which is what we used to use to heat the kitchen (propane Jotul stove).

·
109 Posts
I like to say that I was surprised how much more the ID4 cost in comparison to my Outback when it comes to insurance. Half the fuel cost goes straight into the insurance.

·
170 Posts
The quote I got was about 1$/month less than the Outback I currently drive, in favor of the ID.4. There’s a lot of variability here, wonder why.

·
2019 Leaf SL+, waiting on an ID.4 AWD ProS, Dusk Blue
597 Posts
That seems odd. I think my insurance went up with approx $100 per 6 month period vs my 12 year old Honda Element.
When I got my 2019 Leaf in March, my insurance went down--the Leaf replaced a 2019 Buick. However, for the 2023 Leaf I have on order, the insurance will go up $68/six months, compared to the 2016 Tiguan it will be replacing. I think the difference is because the Leaf is new and the Tiguan is a couple of years old, and worth less.

·
109 Posts
When I got my 2019 Leaf in March, my insurance went down--the Leaf replaced a 2019 Buick. However, for the 2023 Leaf I have on order, the insurance will go up $68/six months, compared to the 2016 Tiguan it will be replacing. I think the difference is because the Leaf is new and the Tiguan is a couple of years old, and worth less.
This would imply a car would get cheaper when it gets older but that is usually not the case with car insurance i believe.

Requested quotes from 2 other companies and they are indeed close to what I am paying right now for the Outback. Same policy settings across. Will talk to State farm about this ...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts