Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Is there a fuse that is energized when the car is unlocked or you sit in the drivers seat? - As opposed to energized when you start the car?

I checked a few, and it seems like all the fuses (on the drivers side panel at least) are either always on, or only energize when the car is started, i.e. foot on brake or push start button. I'm looking for a fuse that isn't always on, but energizes when I unlock the car or when I sit in the drivers seat, and not necessarily when the car is started. I tried the 2 fuses for the Infotainment but both seem to be always on.

Thanks

·
3,338 Posts
Hi

Is there a fuse that is energized when the car is unlocked or you sit in the drivers seat? - As opposed to energized when you start the car?

I checked a few, and it seems like all the fuses (on the drivers side panel at least) are either always on, or only energize when the car is started, i.e. foot on brake or push start button. I'm looking for a fuse that isn't always on, but energizes when I unlock the car or when I sit in the drivers seat, and not necessarily when the car is started. I tried the 2 fuses for the Infotainment but both seem to be always on.

Thanks
You don't wanna feed anything from already used fuses....if you going to install custom power supply I would suggest you consider service technician to run it properly....
Be aware of this.

·
468 Posts
Hi

Thanks

@tonysunshine Are you wiring a dash cam? Maybe give more detail on what you are wiring will help @VW TECHNICIAN understand if you are pushing the limits. You might want to read the PDF in this Dash Cam thread from @javi_ID4 . First post. Fuse you are looking for is Fuse 52. There are 2 possible position for that fuse. One position is always on and the other is only on after car is energized.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so what I'm trying to do is hard wire in a wireless phone holder/charger that is capable of fast wireless charging since the built in charging pad in the id4 doesn't get enough ventilation.
I got this one from amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M3B35KL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And it has powered arms. Right now I have it on an unused fuse that only energizes when the ID4 is started, but I would like to be able to put my phone in the holder before I start the car

I don't want the phone holder on an always on fuse, as it seems to draw a small amount of power even when not in use - I measured it with an inline usb power meter thing.

So was looking for a fuse or possibly a control signal for a relay I could tap that is not always on, but energizes when I sit down in the drivers seat. Kind of like how the infotainment comes on even before starting the car.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,230 Posts
I had a Zeehoo briefly before returning it for a Choetech. It had a capacitor that would retain enough charge to open and close the clamp after power was removed. Have you tried yours yet to determine if it clamps satisfactorily when there's is no power?

·
3,338 Posts
so what I'm trying to do is hard wire in a wireless phone holder/charger that is capable of fast wireless charging since the built in charging pad in the id4 doesn't get enough ventilation.
I got this one from amazon - Amazon.com: [2021 VERSION] ZeeHoo 15W Fast Wireless Car Charger,Auto-Clamping Car Mount&Built-in Cooling Fan,Windshield Dash Air Vent Phone Holder Compatible For iPhone 12/Mini/11/Pro Max/XS/XR/X/8,Samsung S10/S9
And it has powered arms. Right now I have it on an unused fuse that only energizes when the ID4 is started, but I would like to be able to put my phone in the holder before I start the car

I don't want the phone holder on an always on fuse, as it seems to draw a small amount of power even when not in use - I measured it with an inline usb power meter thing.

So was looking for a fuse or possibly a control signal for a relay I could tap that is not always on, but energizes when I sit down in the drivers seat. Kind of like how the infotainment comes on even before starting the car.
You definitely don't want to interfere with fuses that are active when load sensor in the seat is energizing other things.
When you see Service next time...politely ask and explain what you want and they will be able to code and make dedicated supply for what you want....wireless charger will always draw power even when not used.
What other people discuss or doing is against ID4 warranty and will void your claim if they found out.
And for all ofother members that have done this things on other Cars and feel confident that is the same thing on any other. You will find very quickly how different are VW...Audi..BMW and any other Car that uses a lot of modules...
So please be warned and if is this what you want to do....make sure you are advanced user and know how to read electrical diagrams and have access to VW service manual to do this right.
And i can't give instructions over the internet how to do this things...because i have no idea on what is someone's skill or experience working on VW.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@VW TECHNICIAN ok thanks for letting me know! I've done hackey stuff on my f150s and hondas and just assumed the ID4 wouldn't be that much different. Good to know. Appreciate the help

@Nai3t yeah so the phone holder will open even after I shut off the car, but it won't close when I first get into the car, will only close when the phone holder gets power.
I might try another phone holder/wireless fast charger. Might a simpler solution to my "problem"

You definitely don't want to interfere with fuses that are active when load sensor in the seat is energizing other things.
When you see Service next time...politely ask and explain what you want and they will be able to code and make dedicated supply for what you want....wireless charger will always draw power even when not used.
What other people discuss or doing is against ID4 warranty and will void your claim if they found out.
And for all ofother members that have done this things on other Cars and feel confident that is the same thing on any other. You will find very quickly how different are VW...Audi..BMW and any other Car that uses a lot of modules...
So please be warned and if is this what you want to do....make sure you are advanced user and know how to read electrical diagrams and have access to VW service manual to do this right.
And i can't give instructions over the internet how to do this things...because i have no idea on what is someone's skill or experience working on VW.

·
3,338 Posts
@VW TECHNICIAN ok thanks for letting me know! I've done hackey stuff on my f150s and hondas and just assumed the ID4 wouldn't be that much different. Good to know. Appreciate the help

@Nai3t yeah so the phone holder will open even after I shut off the car, but it won't close when I first get into the car, will only close when the phone holder gets power.
I might try another phone holder/wireless fast charger. Might a simpler solution to my "problem"
Wireless phone charger are nothing but phone battery killer's...it keeps phone much more hot than necessary and this technology is still away from being efficient...
Just my opinion.....if you don't care about this then there is definitely advantages over wire connection....there are cables with magnetic strips that a peace that connects to phone always stays in and whenever you want to unhook just break magnetic strip and go on with your life...this what I use

·
Super Moderator
5,623 Posts
Indeed. After I got an alert on my iPhone to "not use until cooled down" I'll not again be using the charge mat, rather now opting to go with a USB-C cable.
Wireless phone charger are nothing but phone battery killer's...it keeps phone much more hot than necessary and this technology is still away from being efficient...
Just my opinion.....if you don't care about this then there is definitely advantages over wire connection....there are cables with magnetic strips that a peace that connects to phone always stays in and whenever you want to unhook just break magnetic strip and go on with your life...this what I use

·
468 Posts
Is there a way to disable the wireless charger so we can still use the slot for putting the phone there while plugged in?
Until the coding option is figured out with VCDS, you could also disconnect the wireless charger electrical connection per @Andy at Ross-Tech.com photos here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts